Eating habits

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lawrence17
New Cat Chatter

Eating habits

Post by Lawrence17 »

I have an old rescue cat (18 years old) for the last few weeks, she has been crying for food all the time. I have treated her for worms - but it made no difference. Her coat is shiny and she appears to be healthy, but she is getting thinner. I thought i would try to see if anybody else has this issue, before I make her go through the trauma of a visit to the vet - she hates the cat basket! Does anyone have a similar problem?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Eating habits

Post by Janey »

Hi, she could be hyperthyroid given her age, which can be treated, best to get bloods done more often for elderly cats too to check for age-related issues. I have had a few hyperthyroid cats (and myself) and they do eat more but lose weight and it must be treated if it is that. I would definitely take her to the vet though most cats don’t like the carrier unfortunately but it’s better to get her checked. Good luck.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

I would agree that a vet visit ASAP is the best possible option for your little one. Please let s know how you get on.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm afraid I agree too - it needs checking out, and she's displaying symptoms of possible thyroid issues, as has been said. Easily treated if it is. Good luck. :)
Lawrence17
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lawrence17 »

Well we have just got back from the vet - with a very upset Dolly - having had a blood test. Have to wait until Friday for the results, but he thinks it is a thyroid problem. Will post again with results and treatment. Sue
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Hopefully that's the worst bit over and done with. I hope she forgives you soon. :)