My cat pawing at face and nasal noises

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

My cat pawing at face and nasal noises

Post by Kris35 »

When my cat Oody eats something, she starts to grind her teeth - its as if she has something stuck between her teeth and she cant close her mouth properly. She sometimes gags and paws her face and Ive noticed she is making slight nasal noises lately. She also seems "off". I am going to take her to the vet but wanted to know your thoughts.

Thanks.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: My cat pawing at face and nasal noises

Post by Kris35 »

Shes also been dribbling slightly from one side of her mouth for the last two months. I took her to the vets a few weeks ago and they couldnt see anything wrong - they looked in her mouth and saw nothing wrong apart from elderly teeth.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

hopefully it could be that she needs some attention to her teeth - it's difficult for a vet to see much when opening a cat's mouth, so with these symptoms I think she needs to be knocked out so they can have a proper look - then if there is some dental work needed they can go on and see to it

I had a cat with a broken tooth, and infected root, who couldn't eat, but the vet couldn't see it, and I had to take her back twice before they found it, so be assertive if you need to be, as clearly there is something wrong going on in her mouth, which has been going on for some time
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks Kay, but I had to have my Tezzy put to sleep last week - she had two teeth out and the anaesthetic or drugs she was given made her ataxic and stop eating. She had kidney failure and I am just worried about my old girl Oody here. I am going to have her bloods done but even if she comes back clear - Im still worried about the anaethetic? She is 18?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

if she needs an anaesthetic she should be put on a drip for 24 hours - this is common practice with older cats - yes there is a risk but she can't go on in pain and discomfort

it must be very hard for you after losing Tezzy so recently, but it won't help to keep Oody to put any necessary treatment off any longer - quality of life over quantity every time, however much stress and unhappiness it puts us, the carers, under
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks Kay. Do you mean put on a drip BEFORE any anaesthetic?!! I have never heard of this?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

It's routine for older cats at my surgery - in fact my 13 year old was taken in for 48 hours on a drip before a dental because his blood test showed raised liver enzymes - the separation and the cost are a nuisance, but I'd rather an overly cautious vet than one who doesn't take the individual's requirements into consideration
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Blimey - thanks - I had no idea. :(
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

One of mine was put on a drip from 8.30am on the day of a dental, which was being done around 2.30pm. I had planned on picking her up early evening, but they said they wanted to keep her on it overnight to be on the safe side.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

All my oldies that had dentals have gone in the morning of the op, about 9 am (my vet takes them to the main vets in town about 11.30 after her appointments, to do the op) and they’ve been on a drip the day of the op only. I’ve picked them up about 4.30-ish, they’ve all been fine afterwards.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks Mark. Janey, they were on a drip before the op?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

This has reminded me, one of my oldies was on a drip before a dental op too. She had kidney issues and so a blood test first, and they just felt it would 'set her up' and give her the best chance. It went fine.