Is my kitten overweight?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
jordannn
New Cat Chatter

Is my kitten overweight?

Post by jordannn »

Daisy May is about 8 months old right now. I have two 2-year old boys as well. I know kittens tend to eat more food, and she runs around a lot and expends a lot of energy, but she is looking a bit overweight to my husband and I. She eats about the same amount as the other two, we feed them 1/4 cup each of dry food (Purina One Smartblend) in the morning, and a 3oz can of Fancy Feast at night (she gets the kitten version of both since she's still under a year). But the two boys are pretty slim and are normal, healthy weights. When Ludo was a kitten he did have a little bit of a belly, but it was all underneath him--like a little kitten pooch, when you looked at him from above he looked normal. But Daisy looks obese when you look at her from above. I'm wondering if we should be feeding her less? It seemed like Ludo ate a lot more when he was a kitten, but never looked like Daisy. She does eat very quickly, she is usually finished with her food when the boys have barely made a dent in theirs, and she used to try to eat their food too, but we discouraged her from doing so and now feed the boys up on the kitchen island so they can eat their food (she still tries to jump up, but we monitor her and make sure she doesn't jump up and eat their food). Curious as to what others thought of the amount of food we feed her and if it's just kitten weight and she'll grow into it, or if we should be feeding her less, or if there could be something else going on.
Would love to hear your thoughts!

photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/iHaXdGQRHEskoQLx7
https://goo.gl/photos/tF76ep7tdPvJhPFu6
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Is my kitten overweight?

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Adorable! Just weigh her and ask the vet if weight is normal or take her to vets and nurse will weigh for you. Probably won't even charge fo that but then you will know for sure.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

She is a sweetie. It sounds like you may have a cat like our Gracie - a feline waste disposal unit! Now she IS fat, and despite our best attempts she is not losing weight.

Get her weighed and ask your vet about her ideal weight. Then I'm afraid you may have to watch her for good. I have seen our Grace watch the others eat, then it's a race to get to any food that is left - I don't always make it!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm no expert on kittens and young cats, but I do know that kitten food is more likely to put weight on than regular adult food, maybe start to wean her, very slowly, off the kitten food - maybe cut out just the dry food and replace it with regular?