Cat has hole in roof of mouth - vet wants to pts

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cat has hole in roof of mouth - vet wants to pts

Post by JulieJulie »

So my 14 yo cat stopped eating a few weeks back. Went in for a dental and seemed to go rapidly downhill after that.
She's in today again because her mouth has been bleeding when she eats. They've xrayed and examined her and say she has a hole in the roof of her mouth (this was not mentioned at the dental.) They are saying tumour or bone infection are most likely causes.
The vet rang to see if i wanted to wake her up or let her go as the prognosis and pain was likely poor either way. I was in total shock and not able to let her go without saying goodbye - I try to have my cats pts at home.
She's being sent home with a ton of pain meds and antibiotics for 6 weeks but the vet said as soon as they touched the hole it bleeds so I'm guessing this may be the same with feeding.

I don't know what to do. The last thing I want is for her to be in pain. I know oral problems are serious and can progress rapidly. But I've twice been told by vets my other cats would die within a few days (one had HCM and lived for 5 more years the other is still with me after a collapse and total breakdown of her immune system /calici.)

Has anyone been through this ? All I heard so far arw really bad outcomes from post dental issues.

I live alone so the burden of this decision is weighing heavy on me. Lucy was my first cat (of many) and I'm massively over attached to her....but I don't want her to suffer.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat has hole in roof of mouth - vet wants to pts

Post by Janey »

Hi, I am so sorry for you and your cat. If you are unsure the only thing I can suggest is seeing a different vets ASAP to get a second opinion so if it is the worst news, your cat isn’t having to suffer long and you feel you’ve done all you can ((hugs)).
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Julie thinking of you & your fur baby during this awful time. It's awful dealing with things like this when on your own. Do you trust the vet? Hugs Vivian
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Yes we've been using this vet 14 years I do trust them. Today was a massive shock for me and her. The vet showed me the x-rays when I went to collect her and the dark area which should have been showing as bone which apparently means bone density isn't as it should be. She feels tumour is most likely scenario.
She's home now with some major pain relief. I think the vet was surprised as how perky she was when she woke up. She ate as soon as we got home with not as much bleeding so we'll take it day by day from here...she's purring her little head off on the bed next to me now.
I want to clean and brush her up a bit but I'll leave her be for tonight.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry to hear this, what a horrible shock for you. I guess you just take it one day at a time, and if you trust your vets (which is a huge help if you do) then be guided by them and how she seems to be doing. I have had a cat with oral cancer, and we did just take it one day at a time until she started to find it difficult to eat and we felt her pain and quality of life were no longer worth prolonging. (((hugs))) and a gentle fuss to your girl. xx
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Hello Cruella, nice to 'see' some old faces around (-:

The thing I struggle with is them putting me under pressure to make such a horrible decision based on just an xray, rather than how she is, in herself. I was in total shock. I'm a SO glad I did not agree to have her PTS now. I'm having nightmares just thinking about how awful that would have been now and how I would have regretted that.

I do trust my vets, but I do have to pull them up sometimes and my trust has waned a bit after this incident - after her dental they sent her home without any pain meds OR antibiotics. I checked the bill and she hadn't been given antibiotics, so I went back and asked for them plus metacam - it was only that I am an experienced cat owner that I knew stuff like this and am able to make more informed decisions. Hmm, reading this back, perhaps it is time to reconsider that trust issue. BUT I do know that they will do what I say, as they've recently told me to PTS an otherwise healthy FIV cat (I refused, much to their annoyance), and my darling Lucy (again refused.)

My Lucy is now sitting on a cushioned chair in the garden, she is eating biscuits and the bleeding has stopped. This happened almost immediately after she woke up from the xrays - the only thing I can think is that she received the convenia antibiotic injection which has helped. The vet herself carried her out to me when I collected her, and I think she was a bit surprised at how lively she was - I hope that as pet owners, knowing our pets better than vets, we can challenge this 'there's an issue come up in a text, PTS' mentality. Yes, she is living on painkillers now, but she takes it quite happily(ish) but aren't many cats? As long as she has the will to live, and does not appear to be in pain, and isn't hiding away (as she was before) who am I to end her life?

I had a quiet conversation with the Manager of the practice who is an absolute diamond and she was in complete agreement with me. She said she's seen so many cats come out of dentals with issues - it seems to bring the issues out - maybe a good or bad thing...the main thing is to know your cat, know when her behaviour has changed.

In hindsight, the things I would look out for to show pain are: not eating, hiding away, excessively moulting (possibly due to anorexia), drooling, not grooming, and tongue hanging out. I used to think ah isn't that cute with her tongue hanging out but if seen often, it should be a warning sign - hopefully this might help others by sharing this information. She got MUCH worse after the dental, so that is definitely a time to keep a very close eye on kitty.

xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I hope Lucy has many more days enjoying sitting in the garden. Good for you, not taking their 'advice'.

Our Tommy had his 'down' days, when we thought he was near the end. But he picked up and enjoyed another summer lounging on the car roof - his favourite spot - with a big, contented smile on his face (I kid you not, that cat could out-grin the Cheshire cat) :D

Fusses to Lucy and your FIV puss.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

You sound like you absolutely have it under control. Good for you, vets, however well-intentioned, don't always get it exactly right. Sending best wishes and a fuss to you gang. xx
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Thanks to all for the support. I'll post a pic of my beautiful girl when I can work out how to do it (-: