Kala has pretty bad diarrhea with lots of straining and little poop coming out

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Kala has pretty bad diarrhea with lots of straining and little poop coming out

Post by Joe_Danger »

Just when I thought all was well with my cats now this happened, I figured I'd ask for advice if anyone knows....

Kala is only 5 months

For whatever reason Kala who never had problems like this before had sosft stool on Saturday and went to the bathroom about 4 times that day, Sunday it was worse, she'd go every 4-6 hours but for the most part it was still formed without a foul odor or rather there was no odor at all, later that day it went from formed to the usually yellow mush again didn't smell much worse than usual.
Monday her stool was all mush but it came in small amounts, she went every I want to say 4 hours or so
Today, Tuesday it got worse as she kept straining but very little yellow mush would come out each time
Now we're at what appears to be more brown colored but clearer watery poop, again very little comes out

I took Kala to the vet, she prescribed some pills and gave her some cream for her bum which had gotten red and swollen from the diarrhea and hurts quite a bit but she didn't determine if we're dealing with diarrhea or constipation.

I've dealt with soft stools and diarrhea before but nothing this bad
never seen a cat strain and have so little come out of her

She eats normally and is active, or at least was active today but I fear she is starting to get exhausted now
I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here, she even threw up a couple times in the past 2 days but my vet didn't think much of that.

At first I thought I was dealing with regular Colitis or whatever it's called, but the amount of poop coming out of her is now just brown water despite her eating normally. I worry something is stuck in her colon but the vet doesn't have the equipment to check nor does she deem it necessary to do so.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Kala has pretty bad diarrhea with lots of straining and little poop coming out

Post by Jacks »

Poor little Kala! It sounds dreadful for her and I'm shocked the vet has not been more helpful. It sounds like she's got a really inflammed digestive tract and she needs some help. I'd also make sure she's getting only very simple food - chicken and pumpkin (helps with diarrhoea) and rice are good - I don't know what food varieties you can get there.

How long ago did you visit the vet? Sounds like she needs another visit and an anti-inflammatory treatment.

Also make sure she's drinking plenty - otherwise she will definitely get dehydrated, which can be a killer.

Hopefully someone else will come on line who knows more about these things.

x
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Kala has pretty bad diarrhea with lots of straining and little poop coming out

Post by Joe_Danger »

She was on a boiled chicken diet since this started but it didn't help much, she won't eat rice or pumpkin at all
I took her to the vet earlier today

She is drinking and eating fine
can she die from this? I can't imagine living without her at this point in life
I also can't imagine losing her to something as simple as this

I just can't prove to people that this is bad, nobody seems overly concerned which makes all this that much worse to deal with so I'm trying to keep my cool and act "rational" but you can't act rational when you see a 5 month old kitten straining herself in the litter box with nothing coming out.

The worst part is having to "wait and see"...now I have to go through the entire night and wait until 9AM in the morning for the vet to open so I can take her again, tho there's nothing she can do...how can she check for foreign bodies or anything when she has no equipment like x-rays and such
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

I was working all night but kept an eye on Kala as well
She went one more time, again clear brown liquit with a bit of fresh blood, but after that she didn't go for hours, payed with Casper, wanted to eat but I didn't give her anything until 7AM
So we'll see how things progress here

I'll keep applying that cream the vet gave me and keep the probiotic powder we started giving her on Monday for another day and see how things go from there.
The fact that she drinks and is active...well reasonably so not as active as she normally would be is a good sign.

I also feel I found the cause for this mess
it's that litter they bought in with Casper, never have I seen worse litter in my life, it creates nice pee clumps alright but it's all sticky and becomes almost as soft and moist as modeling clay would, Casper had litter all over him he was trying to clean that wouldn't come out.
As luck would have it Kala fixated on that litter and goes in it more so I think that might be the reason for all this.

Other than that Casper and Milla are doing great, it's a shame Kala has to deal with this now when everything else is just fine.

UPDATE: Kala just went to the bathroom and while I didn't catch her in the act there was much more poop burried in the litter and it felt/seemed mushier, more dense so maybe she is recovering.
Couldn't tell if there was blood or not as it was buried well so it was just a lump of mush with litter
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

This sounds very hopeful, Joe - if she is drinking and still energetic and starting to pass a motion again, even sloppy, it sounds like you're doing the right things with the chicken and the probiotics.

It's good you can be around and watch her too, poor little girl. Let's hope it was the litter but that it's passed through her now and that she won't suffer any lasting effects. x
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

After skipping a day, which is how they normally work after loose stools Kala just now had...decentish poop
Slightly lighter than expected and still with some goop but nice and solid overall.

Whether or not she is fine only time will tell, I've had situations where diarrhea/soft stool returns soon after a seemingly good recovery, in Kala's case however what really worries me is just how bad it all was from the blood to the painful straining and small amounts of diarrhea, it just wasn't right for such a small kitten, she, dare I say even is rather small for her age.
I hope no permanent damage was done as managing such a situation here probably won't be easy.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

We had the same problem with our two cats when we first rescued them. They were weaned off of their mum too early and suffered badly with the same problem. It took time to sort out but was given the advice of eggs and plain chicken breast to help settle theirs stomachs. Then introduce a gentle dried food and I am sure things will sort themselves out.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thanks, didn't think of eggs
I dunno why Kala would get this, weeing definitely isn't the issue here since Milla never really made her stop nursing until she naturally lost interest in it herself.
Should the eggs be boiled or raw?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Pretty much hard boiled and mush it up. I also think a white fish steamed like coley is great, You can buy it frozen is small blocks in the supermarket. The chicken just needs steaming so it holds it's moisture and nice and tender to eat. Obviously this doesn't fully replace their normal diet but maybe the vet can suggest a gentle on the stomach food. Moist food can often be too rich so dried worked best for us.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Hope they like the eggs next time someone has soft poops
Chicken breast they all love, my cooks that stuff I know nothing about cooking :) but she prepares it the way you said it should be lol
I honestly would not have panicked if Kala didn't start pooping straining so much and blood didn't start coming out.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Sounds like she needs to see the vet rather than relying on a forum for advice.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

To be fair, I think Joe sees his vet that often he probably has a season ticket!

Bland food like steamed chicken works well when mine have dodgy guts. Wish her better soon.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

All 3 went to the vet today for her to administer some anti parasite thing on them and to re-vaccinate Casper as well as check on Kala.
Everyone is doing great, for now lol
My vet says even though Kala had blood in her stool from straining it really wasn't that serious an issue, it just looked scary but there doesn't appear to be any deformation or lasting consequences from what she saw, so that's good to know.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Excellent news, Joe - and congratulations on getting your little family back together and Casper reintegrated again. They must be such a joy to you and we know you look after them with loving care.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Excellent news and peace of mind!