Aggressive cat :( won't leave my cats alone.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kyz1981
New Cat Chatter

Aggressive cat :( won't leave my cats alone.

Post by Kyz1981 »

Hi, just looking for advice and to see if anyone has any experience of what we are going through.

We have two female neutered cats and we have a cat from the local area that is them constantly.

I have no idea who owns him or if it is indeed a him but it's none of our neighbours.

He will chase them inside and then sit in front of the cat flap for hrs at a time, ( mainly at night)' he has now broken the magnetic cat flap and can get in and has chased them all over the house. ( we block it now, and have ordered a chip one).

He now will wait at the French doors causing my cats to hiss and scream.

He will wait until one of the cars is going to the loo and then pounce and generally stalks them and Attacks them, one cat has already been on antibiotics from this cats bite.

We have never managed to get close enough to it to spray water as it runs off quickly but it seems to spend the majority of the evening/night stalking my cats.

I have owned cats for years and have never encountered one as aggressive and persistent as this, so I have no clue apart from changing the cat flap as to what I can do, my husband has taken to sleeping down stairs as the cat will sit at the French doors terrorising my cats.

I would just really like it to loose interest in freaking my cats out constantly as even when they are safe inside, it's there at the window.

It does not look feral as its a big fluffy white thing and the feral cats around here tend to stay away from gardens and hang out near the farms.

I would appreciate any advice.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Aggressive cat :( won't leave my cats alone.

Post by Jacks »

To be honest with you I'd borrow a trap from the RSPCA, local Cat's Protection or local rescue (you can look for them on this website) and catch him or her, take to the vet to see if there is a chip and whether it's an unneutered male. My guess would be it is.

We had three spayed females who were pestered by a large, hairy, very aggressive cat a couple of years ago. So hairy we couldn't tell the sex, but the behaviour was aggressively male. Although they were spayed he's attack them and only one stood up to him - the others were terrified. I borrowed a trap and it took 5 months to catch him, but we did. Sounds like your rogue spends so much time outside your door you should be able to catch him or her fairly quickly.

As he'd been pestering for months and we hadn't found an owner he was neutered for free on the TNR scheme run by Cat's Protection by our local vet, who was affiliated (as are places like Pets At Home). Over the next few months his behaviour changed completely. He's a pussy cat with the girls now, especially our dominant female, who keeps him in check. 8 months following his neuter he actually moved in... He's a completely wild boy who was totally undomesticated, so this was quite something for him, and shows what a pain male hormones are in a cat!

Of course you might find the miscreant is chipped and can return them to their owner - and know where he or she belongs to negotiate!!

In the meantime do get that cat flap sorted. Ours is a microchip one and he never got inside - it must be awful for them to be terrorised in their own home. :-(
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Jacks, I think your best bet is to get this cat trapped and checked out, and hopefully neutered as that will also be doing the poor boy a favour .... and I'm guessing it IS a tom cat too. Personally I'd be wary of the RSPCA as they might trap him and PTS ...... I'd go with Cats Protection or a local non-kill rescue.
Kyz1981
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kyz1981 »

Thanks for all the advice, we are going to contact cats protection league and get a trap, and then take it to my vet who will scan it and then contact owners directly if it has a chip. We are happy to pay if needs be to get him the snip.

new cat flap coming tomorrow so fingers crossed he stays away until then, my husband is sleeping on the sofa again tonight and we have tried to cover the French doors so he can't see our cats.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

You're doing the right thing - please let us know how you get on with this cat!
All the best for the trapping!
Kyz1981
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kyz1981 »

Just to update, caught that cat last night, taking it to be checked and scanned at the local vets this morning.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Fantastic news! Please let us know the outcome! When we post responses on the forum we're always dying to know what happens next. Well done for the trapping and let's hope you get some answers now.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh well done! Yes, do keep us posted - good luck! :)
Kyz1981
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kyz1981 »

He is a She, ... Docile as anything at the vets, luckily she was microchipped and belongs to an elderly lady down our rd. she is apparently mortified that her cat is causing all these issues. The Vet told me female cats tend to be very territorial and more aggressive at other female cat than toms who will have a go but move on quickly.

I have given the vet permission to give my number to the lady and she is going to collect her later.

We have a microchip cat flap but when it is locked this cat pounds against it so much, I am just hoping the cat doesn't break it.

Kind of gutted that it's a she and the snip won't calm it.

Just hope she sees we tried to do the kindest thing to the cat rather than water guns and all the other options that were put to us.

Thanks so much for your advice.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Oh my! The little Madam! :o :o :o :o

As you say a disappointment in some respects but thank goodness you know who she belongs to (and she was chipped) and maybe you can arrange something with the lady so that she can keep her inside a bit more - especially if your girls want to go out - arrange a sort of territorial schedule! It wouldn't be the first time neighbours have had to do this.

I do hope you can sort something out because you can't continually have these issues for your girls and you may have to resort to water to dissuade Madam from her aggression.

Amazing that cats can be so lovely with humans but so horrible with their own species - or vise versa. Do keep us updated!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

One thought - would it be possible to put a large heavy object against the outside of the locked cat flap at night, to stop Madam trying to break in when your girls are getting their beauty sleep?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oooooh a 'Mean Girl'!! That's a turn up! :D

Good idea of Jacks' to barricade the flap at night. Or you might purrsuede the owner to keep the miscreant in at night? Good luck!