Tonic for Bobby - any ideas?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Tonic for Bobby - any ideas?

Post by bobbys girl »

About a week ago we noticed Bob had a scratch on his ear. We bathed it and all seemed fine. This morning there were clumps of hair all over the bedspread and a bald, oozy patch on top of his head. OH and I bathed it and cleaned it up properly and got AB's from the vet. They have given him Amoxycillen. I just hope to God he doesn't react to it like his mummy does!

I don't like AB's - too much colateral damage to your system. With Bob being FIV+ I am concerned his compromised immune system will take a hit not just from the infection, but the AB's too.

So has anyone any suggestions for immune boosters, vits etc, that might help him. He doesn't like Hill's recovery or anything like that. He seems OK but I am just a worry-guts when it comes to my little boy. Help please!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Tonic for Bobby - any ideas?

Post by Crewella »

Poor lad, what's he gone and gotten himself into this time! I'm no help, I'm afraid, apart from clean the patch with boiled salt water - I'm a great believer in salt water and it seems to clear up wounds really well. Just plenty of TLC, which I know you'll do, and I'm sure he'll be fine.

Give his other ear a scritch from me! :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks for that Helen. Scritch will be passed on in due course.

It looks like a bite - two puncture marks - cleaner now and, as you said, washed with salt water. I cut some of the dried, spikey hair away from the site this evening - poor little mite looks like a monk now!

He seems happy enough and is eating OK. He came over for a cuddle like he normally does and tilted his head for a kiss. I really didn't fancy it and just patted him instead. :?

Question is who or what bit him?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Must have been some interloper. Good job the marks weren't on his neck ..... that'd give you something to worry about ....... and a sudden urge for garlic! :P

Glad he's perky. xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes so far so good. :) He was playing with pine cones today. But I still worry about his immune system. OH bought a cooked chicken for him (not ALL of it, you understand) A bit of chicken should see him fine. Now I sound like a Yiddisha Momma 'eat your chicken soup already'.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Poor Bobby! I'm afraid I don't know about boosting immunity in cats, but I do give them their daily Licky lix (or equivalent from Miamor) which is a low calorie cream snack full of vitamins and minerals cats need....

Sounds like what Jessie did when she was bitten on the face - four deep puncture wounds - she groomed all the hair from around the wounds but they healed up nicely and the fur then grew back very quickly - quicker than I thought. Hopefully it will be the same for Bobby, poor lad. I think they know they need to keep the area clean.

I keep a tub of Hibiscrub (on vet's recommendations) and dilute it in an egg cup to dab quickly on wounds - most recently Phoebe's ear. It seems to do the trick...

Chin fussy to Bobby, not on the top of the head... x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good to know Jacks, thanks for that. Fusses passed on. He keeps wanting to rub the top of his head under my chin like he normally does - I REALLY don't want him to at the moment. Poor lad doesn't understand.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

I was going to suggest the same as Jacks - this is the link
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supp ... tes/231461

they also have this one, but mine don't like it
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ste/434145

fusses from me as well :( poor boy. Hate it when something happens to them and you have no idea what it was
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I hope poor Bobby's head is now a bit less ... erm .... 'yuk'! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Helen

Thanks for asking. It has dried up and he is now just a scabby cat! It was a mess though and he does have a bald patch where I cut the fur away to see the problem. But he is still Bobby, cheeky and unstopable. Fingers crossed he will continue that way.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Fingers crossed indeed. Glad it's dried up, the fur will soon grow back. :)
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

This is good news! Yes, the fur will quickly grow back - it's generally not thick on the head anyway (no underfur) so should be quicker than body areas. Jessie's face hair grew back very quickly. x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Well guys, it would grow back even faster if he didn't get into so much trouble! Having a morning cuppa, I heard the most incredible 'ding-dong' going on and rushed out to find Bob and Felix kicking seven kinds off cxxp out of each other! Now I'm begining to understand.....

Poor old Felix came out the worst - if the balls of white fur were anything to go on. He tried to back down, but Bob was having non of it. I had to splash him with water from the pond to distract him while Felix slunk off.

The testosterone must have been oozing out of him, 'cos the others gave him a wide berth and when Gracie hissed at him (silly girl) I could see him say 'you want some too?' :?

I was fearing the it might have been a rat bite - as he brought a dead one in 2 weeks ago. I think I know what happpened now. Don't know what I am going to do about Felix coming for his breakfast every day. Cats ay! :roll:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hmmmmmm .... the fact that it was probably a Felix bite and not a rat bite is kind of good news and bad news, isn't it! :roll:

Would it be possible to maybe start a new routine where the others are distracted indoors when Felix comes for his brekkie?