To operate, or not to operate...

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
meowskavitch
New Cat Chatter

To operate, or not to operate...

Post by meowskavitch »

Hello! I would just like to hear peoples views on this please as I'm in a quandary.

I have a 17 year old cat, Polly, who has been under treatment for hyperthyroidism & high blood pressure for around two years. Her kidneys started showing signs of disease a few months ago too and she arthritits.

For a number of years she had a cyst whoch was periodically drained but this has changed and, yesterday, my vet confirmed that it is a tumour and he felt positive that it is malignant. :-(

He said that the lump should be removed and that he would *probably* be able to remove all of the tissue. I was quoted around £500 for the op.

I really don't know whether to go for the surgery or not. Clearly she is elderly, so any surgery has risks but she has so many other conditions as well that I am not sure if surgery is the route we should take. We have no way of knowing at this time if cancer will have spread anywhere else and I am waiting for urinalysis results to get a better idea of the progress of the kidney disease.

In herself she seems quite happy; she eats well, comes for cuddles and will still wander around the garden.

So, do I operate thus possibly removing one of a few conditions, or do I opt to keep her happy and comfortable for as long as possible without surgery?
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: To operate, or not to operate...

Post by Jacks »

This sounds a difficult dilemma - what does your vet advise, and what is the prognosis regarding the tumour (if it is a tumour)? I'm wondering too whether he should do a biopsy to see if the tumour is malignant or not. Having a general anaesthetic at any age is risky for small animals, and she's an old lady.

If it's a cyst that's been regularly drained it does sound quite superficial - would it be possible to get a second opinion and a proper prognosis to help you decide?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Personally I'd be tempted not to operate due to her age and health issues, especially as you don't know if it has already spread. Whereabouts is the cyst?
meowskavitch
New Cat Chatter

Post by meowskavitch »

Thanks for getting back to me!

The cyst/tumor is on her chest, kind of between her front legs. It used to be soft but has become quite hard and over the last few weeks has grown quite a bit (used to be about the size of a peanut but is now more like a half walnut). The vets exact words were "this needs to come off, sooner rather than later". Honestly, I was a bit upset and didn't ask a huge amount of questions.

The last few times I have been at the vets (we go frequently because of her various conditions) the vets I have seen said they didn't like the look of it, but when I asked about biopsy they seemed reluctant. Not sure why. The vet I saw yesterday was the senior partner who hasn't seen Polly before and his reaction was quite different to the others. He's due to call me on Monday with results from the urinalysis so I will prepare some more questions, including the prognosis if we don't operate.

There are so many variables. Even if we take the lump off of her chest, her kidneys aren't great and we've just had to change the meds for the thyroid treatment because her T4 levels had dropped too low... I am so unsure of what to do!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

It is a dilemma whe they get to that age. In your shoes I'd go back to the vets that know her and see what they think. The vets will have a better idea of the prognosis and possible outcomes and more and better information should help you to decide. Good luck, and best wishes to your old girl. xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

They were probably reluctant to biopsy because it requires an anaesthetic, especially in that location, and if her T4 levels aren't stable, anaesthetic is really risky. My neighbour has an 18 year old with the same health issues and her vet won't do a dental because of the risks
meowskavitch
New Cat Chatter

Post by meowskavitch »

booktigger wrote:They were probably reluctant to biopsy because it requires an anaesthetic, especially in that location, and if her T4 levels aren't stable, anaesthetic is really risky. My neighbour has an 18 year old with the same health issues and her vet won't do a dental because of the risks

That's really interesting... and a little worrying. I think more research is required!
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Horrible decision.

My Alice had a lump in her breast area, the vet never tested it but felt that if it was cancer it would be such a hugh invasive operation that at her age (not exactly known, but around 15-16 yo). It never actually seemed to cause her any bother, she died a few years later from kidney failure/old age.

My opinion was that if she was eating, drinking and enjoying life, I couldn't risk losing her or spoiling her last days/weeks/months with recovery from such a huge operation, which could not guarantee results anyway and could have killed her in itself, or made her very unhappy. Every situation and cancer is different. One of my cats now had another horrible cancer and due to where it is, I've not really got any options but to give her palliative care.

Not sure if this helps or not. They do say anaesthetics are much better these days. Whatever you do, just know that the decision you make is for her, and then don't look back with regret, just enjoy your time together.
meowskavitch
New Cat Chatter

Post by meowskavitch »

The decision was taken out of my hands...

I lost Polly today after a sudden decline. The tumour grew VERY quickly, even since Friday, and ulcerated. She stopped eating yesterday and was clearly in pain this morning.

I called time. :cry:

The vet we saw today was lovely and agreed that this was best. He also said that surgery would have a 2-3 month recovery period which, at her age and with her other problems, might mean she wouldn't make a recovery.

I am devestated to lose her, but comfortable that the right decision was made.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

Very sad for you, but glad that she didn't suffer much, and spared you the doubts and guilt that these decisions so often cause

You did so well to care for her through so many health problems and I
hope you have many happy memories to bring comfort in time
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry to hear that, though I absolutely agree that you made the right decision for Polly. May she rest in peace. (((hugs)))
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

I am so sorry :cry: You definitely made the right decision for your girl; and I hope you can take some comfort knowing that she's no longer in pain. Sweet dreams Polly
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear about Polly. I agree with what has been said, it seems best that the decision was taken away from you and, in the end, she went quickly and did not suffer for long. RIP Polly, (Hugs) to you.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, RIP Polly.