males and spraying

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
angel3115
New Cat Chatter

males and spraying

Post by angel3115 »

I'm getting a new male cat today. Whilst I've been assured by the person I'm getting him from that he doesn't spray, I'm afraid he might start in a new environment. He isn't fixed yet. Is this a possibility?
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: males and spraying

Post by Jacks »

It is a possibility, because unneutered males spray to claim territory, and once the habit is achieved they may continue to do it inside as well as outside even if they're neutered if they feel threatened or insecure about something. I have a male who was living rough and not neutered until he was 4/5 years old (after I trapped him). He still sprays outside but only very occasionally inside and it's only if there's a strange cat on his territory or he's been frightened by something, so I count myself lucky. He has lots of 'special' spots outside where he regularly sprays - certain bushes and things - that mark his primary territory (e.g. our garden). However it's not offensive, only if he does it inside...

I've taken on another boy who was unneutered and had him fixed - he's about 2 I think from his behaviour. He sprayed on the upstairs window in his room once, when I got him back from the vet - but as far as I can see he hasn't done it again and he's been with us since the 14th March.

You haven't said how old the boy is but he will need to be neutered as soon as is acceptable - and in the meantime I would get some Feliway diffusers or a spray for your home to reinforce 'happy cat' pheromones. You also haven't said if you've got any other cats; if so you'll need to follow bonding procedures.

Do let us know about your new boy!
Crazy Kitty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: males and spraying

Post by Crazy Kitty »

I adopted a 3 year old stray male 3 weeks ago. He was only neutered whilst in the cats home. He sprayed in the house on 4 separate occasions over the course of the first 2 weeks. We think he was marking his territory as it was all around the back door so we think he was claiming the place as his own and warning off other cats from the garden. Touch wood, he hasn't done this for a week now. Not sure if he is just more settled or whether it's the testosterone gradually leaving his body so he feels the need to do it less.

How are you getting on with your new cat? Hope he is settling well.