Pain killers - Maximum metacam dose for palliative care?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Pain killers - Maximum metacam dose for palliative care?

Post by JulieJulie »

Apologies for the second thread, but I wondered what experiences others here had of metacam dosage? My cat is on metacam once a day and also Vetergesic (an opiate pain killer.) Stupidly last week for a few days I mis read the dosage and gave her metacam twice a day. Stopped as soon as I realised, but now she's back to once a day there is a big difference in her. I know it can cause kidney failure but since she is terminal anyway, I'm going to discuss with my vet upping her dosage, just wondered what dose others had used? Apparently she can have the vetergesic more often but I've got no experience with that either?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Pain killers - Maximum metacam dose for palliative care?

Post by booktigger »

Personally, if she needs more than the regular dosage of Metacam, I'd be questioning her quality of life
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I've just read on another thread that you were heading for the vets this evening? How's she doing? I hope your vet was able to advise, both on the painkillers and on the way forward. Thinking of you (((hugs))). xx
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Thanks guys ☺ they've told me she can increase the frequency of the vetergesic pain killer not the metacam. They are very cautious about giving me more than a weeks worth as its a controlled drug though being an opiate.
Bit annoyed at the vet nurse i spoke to last night who was trying to tell me i was wrong when I questioned why the amount in each dose had decreased but told the vet today and he's sorted it all out.
Why do vet nurses think they know better than the vet, it's a good job i am the annoying persistent type of client...

They're going to carry on with the antibiotics (I've been very proactive with suggesting this) for 6 weeks. She'll be having the convenia injection Friday and staying on Zodon.
If there is any chance this is a bone infection instead of cancer i want all bases covered. My vet is going to let me inject her under supervision so i can do the next one at home. He's so good, really takes proper time with us and know he's a cat lover too.

Sorry for the waffle but one day someone else might read this thread from an archive and find it useful as I've done this week to read others stories before me.

My Lucy is still eating and grooming herself. Bit of blood yesterday i freaked out but seems ok so far since...touch wood. The convenia stopped the bleeding last time so I'm keen for her to keep that up. Not usually a big fan of it but in this case it seems to have helped. She was spritely enough today to give me the runaround to catch her for meds too ☺
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

It's the one silver lining in these situations, when the outcome is bleak at least you don't have to worry so much about long term effects of painkillers and antibiotics. I'm so glad you have such a lovely sounding vet, it makes such a difference and I'm really grateful to mine for all his support through some dark times.

Waffle as much as you like, as you say it might help someone else, it might help you, and anyway I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who's interested in how you and Lucy are doing. Let's hope your persistence and care have helped her and bought you both a little more time (((hugs and fusses))). xx
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Bless you and all my fellow cat crazy friends on here.
(-: