Advice on caring for a blind cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Advice on caring for a blind cat

Post by JulieJulie »

So my already very poorly cat went blind the day after I increased her vetergesic to 2'8 no 3 times a day. She was really spaced out. The only connection I could see researching this was that it can in rare cases cause hypertension which cause blindness but the very checked this and says it's normal. Bloods are also normal. The vet thinks it's a progression of her cancer. We've now settled her dose to 1'8 no x 3 per day plus Meacham once per day. Considering everything she's been through she's amazing. I'm feeling guilty and heartbroken but don't show it on front of her as I know cats pick up our emotions.

Anyway, I've never lived with a blind cat. After a few very bad days she's starting to get around the house. She's jumped off the bed but got stuck up on the table today....I'm not moving things around but am so worried about leaving her when I go back to work next week.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Also her right pupil still constricts a bit in bright light is it possible she seeing something?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice on caring for a blind cat

Post by alanc »

My knowledge of coping with a blind cat is a bit rusty, it being 14 years ago that my old Misty went blind as a consequence of kidney failure. Misty coped pretty well, at times it was difficult to realize he was blind. He used his whiskers, hearing, memory and sense of smell to get around the house. The main thing was to keep things in the same place (especially litter trays) and no new furniture to confuse him. His sense of smell dragged him to his dinner bowl wherever I put it! I also built a set of shallow steps from boxes up to the bed so he could feel his way up and down.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Thank you yes I'll definitely need to look at getting steps for her favourite places. She's been out in the garden with me today . It breaks my heart to see her little paw reaching out to find her way down from places.
Funnily enough I've already got a step up to the bed for my arthritic cat.

I love how people here assume your cats sleep on the bed with you.... and why wouldn't they

Tried to upload a pic but it says file too big
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

When my Alpha first went blind she needed lots of reassurance, and we would guide her round by tapping the floor in front of her or by taking tiny stampy fairy steps that she could hear and feel, and therefore follow. We also started to say 'oops' when she walked into something, which became 'oops' when she was about to walk into something so she learnt to take it as a warning and stop. She did become very reliant on smell, as well as sound, to find her way around and did very well. We eventually lost her to cancer, but she still went out in the garden and used to love sitting on the gravel because she could hear anyone or anything approaching. Give your girl a gentle fuss from me. xx
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Thank you Cruella. I'll definitely try that with the oops.
Did you let her use the cat flap still? Our garden is secure but I'll need to build up a step as it's a big drop outside. She hasn't shown any interest in it yet....I'm worried about going back to work tomorrow
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I left Misty whilst I was at work all day and he did not come to any harm. I did not let him out whilst I was away, though (which was a bit tough on Honey, who also got confined to the house). He had a magnificent set of whiskers which stuck out 2" in front of his nose, so although there were some close shaves, he never actually walked into a wall, always stopping with about half an inch to spare! When he had got enough confidence that things were where they always used to be, he moved around quite easily. He went up and down stairs apparently on trust that there would not be anything in the way.
I only ever let him out under supervision, as my garden, although enclosed, is not, and cannot be made, cat proof.
This is a picture of him showing that he could get around, even on a rough garden wall. He had been blind for about 6 months by then.
Misty DSCN0795vs.jpg
Misty DSCN0795vs.jpg (39.03 KiB) Viewed 9562 times
That he was getting rather thin due to kidney disease is only too apparent.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Alan he is a handsome boy.
Yes thank goodness for whiskers.
Lucy hasn't left the garden for a long time thankfully and the pond is well covered but she hasn't gone out yet except when I'm here to open the patio door and then she doesn't go far from me. We've always been very close as she's my first cat (of 8!). I worry about the others bothering her too. One of them gets very jealous of the attention she's getting.

One thing I will say though is it's made me tidy my house where all else has failed....
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Lol I got tidier too! :D

I'm afraid I never did use a catflap, so the question didn't arise. I would only let Alpha out when I was around, though .... just in case.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Just a thought, but keep an eye on her with the others, too. Blind cats can appear 'rude' to sighted cats as they don't conform to the blinky/looking away cat behavioural patterns. It can be taken as a challenge or just upset other cats.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Thanks Cruella. The others are actually pretty good once they work out something is wrong. After being annoying around her for the first few days i think they're now realising she can't react to them as she would have done before and giving her a wider berth.

Last night was heartstopping as she came into the lounge and on the sofa for the first time. No issues getting up but we now have an upturned plastic cat basket step to help her down. My heart breaks to see that little paw waving around to find the way down.
I'm tapping the floor in the hope it helps her work out distances.

On the plus side she seems more interested in things than she has for a while...not impressed with the weather today though!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Julie
Misty would have been flattered that you considered him handsome. Apart from his whiskers, he always lost out to Honey on the appearances stakes!
I think that Misty went blind gradually so he (and Honey) had time to acclimatize. (Owing to a cataract in his left eye, he had always been one eyed from before I got him at the age of 9 years.) Going downhill is always more of a problem for a blind cat than going uphill. How high is the step you have made up to the sofa? I think you may need a few more - Misty required about 6-7" step maximum and he was quite a long legged cat.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Thanks for the advice Alan. Lucy hasn't ventured too far as yet. I've got some decent scratching posts with low platforms etc and she gets on with them because she can feel all the way down the pillar to the step. Hard to explain but they were from Lidl so need to keep an eye out for more. I'll be out with my tape measure tomorrow now though.

I had a Honey, she was naughty tortie, and I still have her mum a grey tortie who's called Misty....
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Julie

My ten year old girl Tips has been blind since she was about six months old.

We have made the house and garden as safe as we can for her - put barriers in front of drops, cushions in front of objects she used to bash into etc. The garden is securely fenced.

Other than that, we speak when we enter a room, and tap things to 'show' her where they are, or if we have moved things around.

She has a very full and happy life. Some of our friends think she must have some sight, but the vet doesn't and neither do we!

There is no reason to really treat a blind cat any differently once they have learned to accept it.

Good luck!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I thought of Tips when this thread was posted. Glad she seems to be doing well. :)
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Thanks! Glad your gang are doing well. Yes i remember you posting pics of your cat proofed garden many moons ago (-:

Lucy is gaining in confidence but I've had to block her route up to the top of a 5 foot high piece of furniture as she was either getting stuck or hurling herself off it. Last thing she needs is a broken leg, she's a senior lady now just turned 14.

The saddest thing for me is that she has to deal with this in what is (they tell me) her last weeks/months of her life. If id agreed to have her euthanized during the x-ray she wouldn't have had to endure this but to ask me to loose my first ever cat without saying goodbye or feeling her quality of life was over was unfair of that vet (we don't see her anymore ). But she's spending (supervised) time in the garden and eating so I just don't feel it's her time yet....I'm so proud of my other cats who are being so gentle around her (albeit a bit jealous of the attention she's getting but enjoying the special food that's coming into the house at the moment! )

Big fusses to your gang in lovely Wales.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Julie
Whilst this may (or may not) be the last few weeks of Lucy's life, I agree with you entirely that is no reason to end her life prematurely. Certainly just going blind is no reason - elderly cats can still potter around, be loved and sleep in the sun whether or not they can see. Although I had to have Misty put to sleep two months after the photo I posted up thread, this was due to his developing a brain tumor - as far as his blindness and kidney problems were concerned, he could have carried on for ages.
As you are finding, some adjustments are required so that they do not hurt themselves! I was fortunate that Misty seemed to steer clear of high furniture.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Thank you so much for your kind words Alan. Lucys cancer isn't spreading as quickly as they expected but its (although never biopsied because of the location) one of the real nasty ones being likely oral in origin and the reason for her blindness.

Every cuddle, every purr, every minute spent exploring the garden is her right, as long as I can keep her free from pain and distress. I now know the warning signs and I'm watching her like a hawk (-:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

If it helps, Julie, I think I would have made the same decisions that you have, in the circumstances, and I hope she continues to beat the odds and goes on to enjoy a little more of the summer. xx
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Thanks Cruella yes it helps a lot.....only issue I have now is she is starting to shy away from me because one of the meds tastes so awful )-:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Don't know if this helps either, but when I have to do meds or something unpleasant I always do it just before meals and in the kitchen, where they all congregate for food. It means they will still turn up, because of the food, and also they don't associate me grabbing them with anywhere else so don't avoid me?
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Lucy is on special food so I have to feed her separately. Mostly paté type meals so they are soft on her mouth (roof of her mouth is problem area ), some chicken or prawns diced up small. Feeding her is massively stressful because the others all know the sound of a gourmet pate or sachet opening. Some are considerate but I've seen at least one take her dinner. Everything is very confusing for her.
I have to get her when she's in the mood to eat and the others aren't around or can be excluded.

She has started pacing too. Has anyone else come across this ? She will settle if i sit with her and I've started reading to her which she seems to find calming. At night i keep her in my room with my other Senior very calm cat and then i know exactly whats what with her eating drinking and toilet visits.

I'm trying so hard to stay calm around her but I am running through so many different emotions....
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Julie
I fear that pacing may be a bad symptom. Misty suddenly started pacing one night. Diagnosed as a brain tumor when I took him to the vet next day so that was that. Sorry to be so gloomy and I hope Lucy is not suffering from one.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

I've googled it and apparently quite common in older cats especially if their senses are impaired. Indicates confusion etc.

I've confined her to the bedroom for the night away from the younger cats, and fed her. She's had a wee and settled down until our 1am medicine alarm (she's worth it.) She knows it's bedtime when I close the door and put out her extra tray.

I do think the others are really unsettling for her but they are now busy in the garden trying to catch the baby frogs (luckily very bad at this.) Catflap set to in only to get them in for the night...

Her brain could be affected by the cancer plus she's on vetergesic which is potent. She's asleep on my pillow waiting for bedtime cuddles , she really is my world. Well they all are (-:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Pacing can indicate confusion, as you say, but it's good that she will settle with you and at night. It must be tough, I'm sorry, but it sounds as though you are doing everything you can. (((hugs)))
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Just a quick update on my little girlie. 2 months post diagnosis of her oral cancer, she is still with me. She is having antibiotics and pain meds.
She still has a quality of life - sleeping on the bed with me, going out into the garden (supervised), and she is getting around the house better. She has steps to help her down from her favourite places, like the bed, and out into the garden etc, but she will now jump down from the bed. She is so courageous I have nothing but admiration and love for her.

Every day is a blessing, and I keep an eye on the important signs constantly - eating, drinking, toilet, moving around, interest in her surroundings etc. She is pretty quick too when she knows I'm coming with the meds, but she seems less traumatised by them now. I guess she has just got used to it or perhaps her sense of taste has declined. She is definitely eating more strong smelling foods and is getting fussy about which chicken she will eat - only the best chicken breast, as well as Hilife Tuna/prawns/ocean fish, and sometimes she will eat chicken with liver. She goes on and off the pates - I've been trying to give them more smell by mixing in a bit of fish and this is helping encourage her to eat.

If she starts to dribble or look inactive, I'm taking that as a bad sign and she gets her pain meds more frequently, and we have had to increase the dose over the last few weeks, I guess she is getting resistance to them and/or the pain is worse. Her mouth doesn't seem to look a lot different but who knows what is going on inside her that we can't see. The vet did say on our last visit that it hasn't progressed as rapidly as he would have expected. There was a tiny bit of blood these last few days, but I'm trying not to panic and she is back on the Zodon antibiotic as well as she has the convenia every 2 weeks - my vet has even taught me how to give this so she only has to travel to the surgery every other time/so every 4 weeks.

After she eats something a bit mucky like tuna, I've been giving her water - hopefully this will rinse out her mouth to stop it getting lodged and causing issues. She doesn't seem to mind this 'too much'. She also getting a sort of mummy reiki - i.e me me hands on sending her loads of love and healing, and stroking, and she also then purrs, which apparently can also have a self healing effect.
I'm sharing this in case anyone else has to go through this, and this may bring them comfort, as others sharing their experiences has brought me.
She's had some really good days where she has been really active - I've got another elderly cat and she is as active as she is, albeit obviously hindered by her mobility constraints, but she did run up the stairs one day when she knew I was coming with the meds. It is so cute to watch her tiny paw feeling her way around, she is SO brave.
Every day is a blessing and a bonus. I am trying to stay strong, because if she can be, then I should be too.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

a really heart warming post, and inspirational too - I think it will be a lot of help to anyone looking after a cat with a terminal illness

well done you and your lovely girlie
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Yes, a heartwarming post and also heartwrenching. It's awful to sea animals suffer, because you can't explain to them what's happening, and that the nasty meds are to make them better... A hospital consultant told me he actually wanted to be a vet, but decided he couldn't bear to see animals suffer. He said he didn't mind making me suffer (I was on some particularly nasty meds at the time) but couldn't inflict it on a poor animal!
Lucy sounds like a brave little cat. Many years ago I had a little tortie who was completely blind in the last two years of her life (she lived to be 15), but you'd never guess it. My son was very into Lego at the time and there was always a LOT of Lego lying around, but she'd pick her way through very delicately. I never once saw her stub a toe. She used to go outside as well, not just into the garden but into the street, which was okay as I live in a close. Her pupils were permanently dilated, making her eyes look huge. She got ulcers on her eyeballs and she actually let me squirt ointment on to them. I'd then close her eyes and massage the lids. Amazingly tolerant! Blake wouldn't even let me touch his face, and Rufus won't either. Pussy stopped eating in her last week, spent the night in bed with me, lying on my tummy and purring. In the morning I found her on the landing, dead. As I wrote in a poem a year later 'In the end her little life melted away like a snowflake landing in an open hand.' I SO hope your little Lucy may have a gentle death like that. We all know euthanasia is a kindness, but it's still traumatic.
Julie, I'm sending you and Lucy loads of loving vibes. Stay strong.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

So true about euthanasia. Sometimes I find Lucy in such a deep sleep it seems as if she has gone and I feel myself wishing that for her because to go peacefully in her sleep is kindest for everyone. Pussy sounds like a brave little cat too. Well they all are aren't they. And sometimes very stubborn! Funny about the lego! They say not to have a messy house with a blind cat but she hasn't lost her sense of curiosity and I still find her climbing into the wardrobe to explore my shoe box collection and under my sisters bed which is truly chaotic.

For me the worst part of euthanasia is when they fight the needle - this happened to me the first time so the next time I probably waited too long but I don't believe she was in pain during her last week. With Lucy it's going to be a very fine line to make sure she doesn't have to suffer. Giving all her meds on an empty stomach doesn't seem wise.
She's not eating well these past days but is up and about. It has gotten warmer though so I'm 'trying' not to panic......
Love and fusses to all your cats.
I'm 'down' to 8 cats these days plus a couple more I look after. But Lucy was my first cat. It's never easy. I'm trying so hard to prepare myself because a few years back losing my Honey sent me into a deep depression and I don't want to go back to that black hole and be one of those people who doesn't have pets because the loss is too much to bear. Not while the shelters are stuffed full of cats needing homes x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh gosh your post took me back to looking after Alpha. Hugs and fusses to you and Lucy. xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

when Trigger was euthanized, at home and in his favourite bed, the vet inserted a canula first, and he got down and had a bit of his favourite liver and a last cuddle after it was in place before I scooped him up for the final needle - it was instantaneous because of the canula so no trauma for either of us