Why is cat always hungry?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Why is cat always hungry?

Post by kev1949 »

Out of the four cats, only one continually hungry. Wasn't always like this. Seems to have come on over the last six months?
I feed him along with the others three times a day. Either a pouch or dry, whatever takes their fancy? But when he has finished, crys for more. I take no notice, but every half hour or so, keeps crying and rubbing himself on my legs. Also tries to scavenge what the other cats have left behind.
I ignore him thinking he is just greedy? But now I'm having second thoughts. Beginning to suspect could be more than just being greedy? Anyone else had this problem?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Why is cat always hungry?

Post by emmab »

One of our cats is a scavanger. He tries at every opportunity to get food and he seems worse atm. Someone suggested that as he was rescued and ex stray he may have struggled for food at some point and eats what he can get his paws on as he does not know where his next meal is coming from??? He doesn't ever learn what no is either. He is also a lot more vocal atm. He is neutered but think it may be the time of year :? He is also wormed regularly.
Last edited by emmab on Mon May 30, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

How old is he? How often are they wormed?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

If he's losing weight and his coat is looking a bit scruffy he could be hyperthyroid

A blood test would confirm any underlying reason for constant hunger
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I agree with Kay, although it is rare (not unheard of) in cats younger than 10. There are a few other conditions that can cause increased appetite, so worth ruling them out. HyperT is very easily managed with daily meds or an op. but puts stress on organs if left untreated.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Agree with the others. Get him wormed firstly.
Ex strays often overeat too.
You haven't said if he's overweight or thin but is definitely get him blood tested. Overeating can be just a greedy cat but can mean your cat is compensating for an underlying issue.
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by kev1949 »

We have had the cat four years. Wasn't a rescue. One of my daughters got it while at uni, so had to bring it home with her when left. As for weight, all four have their yearly checks. This one like the others gained slightly at check last year. Difficult getting any of them to swallow a worming tablet. However, vet gave me Milbemax Tasty Cat and he actually swallowed one yesterday. Before, I was given larger white ones that had to be broke in half. Now have wait and see if that was the cause :?: