small scabs

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

small scabs

Post by catslave16 »

I adopted a gorgeous long-haired ginger last September. I groom him with a slicker brush but also comb him with a flea comb. I've not seen any evidence of fleas on him - I treated him with Frontline recently- but in the pst months I've started to find tiny scabs round his neck and towards his tail, just where you'd expect flea bites. They come away after a few days, and he's not bothered by them. He's not scratching or grooming more than usual. He has a touch of dandruff round the base of his tail which doesn't bother him either.
Many years ago I had a lovely tortie who was allergic to flea bites, and developed just such little scabs. (Mind you, she had other problems with sensitive skin.) I wonder if my Rufus does in fact have fleas and is allergic to bites. It would be very difficult to spot fleas in his long thick fur, and I never have, but still... I'm reluctant to take him to the vet as I live on disability benefits and a consultation could well cost a third of my weekly income. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: small scabs

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. t’s probably best to let a vet check it out.

Here are details of organisations that may help towards vet bills if you are on benefits or low income:

PDSA, RSPCA, Cats Protection, Blue Cross or try rescues in your area.
You can find details of all your local branches here: http://www.catchat.org/adoption/

If you are unable to get any help from the above, ask the price at a different vets, or you could ask the vet if they’ll take payment in instalments.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello and welcome to CC. I agree with Janey and would add that, some years ago I was unemployed for quite a while and my dog, Bonnie, had a growth on her leg that was worrying me. We took her to our local PDSA and they treated her (she lived to the ripe old age of 17 1/2). I can't praise them enough and we paid a fraction of what my vet would have charged.

Really hope you can find similar help.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

I've found Frontline ineffective in my house for a few years we use Advantage now which you can order online. I've got a cat with the same issue. I've never seen a flea on her but she definitely responds to flea treatment. Reminds me she's due...
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Thank you for that. I did take my Rufus to the vet the Monday after he suddenly started scratching frantically over the weekend, and I was right: he is allergic to flea bites. I was told, and have since heard from other people, that Frontline is no longer very effective - a pity, since I paid £27 for three doses. The vet gave him an injection against inflammation and administered a dose of Comfortis (I had to buy a pack of six tablets - it's going to be fun trying to get the next pill into him!) and four days later the little scabs had gone and no new ones have appeared. Miracle cure! Just as well since the vet visit cost me £78. I'll go to the PDSA next time, but they only run a clinic two mornings a week and only for a few hours a day, and I didn't think this could wait. He's worth it, and it'll just have to be bread and water for me for the next few weeks. (Only joking)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

You might find that the PDSA doesn't stock comfortis, it's only recently been licenced for cats - my vets do still use the dog version as the cat version is in 2kg increments so the average cat needs two tablets rather than one dog tablet. Buster was allergic to spot ons and he was fine with it
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Booktigger - is the comfortis for cats smaller than the one for dogs?

My brothers cat Merlin had a terrible flea allergy and he had a monthly dose of comfortis that worked wonders; but goodness me was that a whopper of a pill to get down a cats throat.

Catslave - glad you took Rufus and have an answer and now know what you're dealing with. Hopefully Rufus soon is loads more comfortable - fusses to him; he is gorgeous
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

meriad wrote:Booktigger - is the comfortis for cats smaller than the one for dogs?

My brothers cat Merlin had a terrible flea allergy and he had a monthly dose of comfortis that worked wonders; but goodness me was that a whopper of a pill to get down a cats throat.

Catslave - glad you took Rufus and have an answer and now know what you're dealing with. Hopefully Rufus soon is loads more comfortable - fusses to him; he is gorgeous
I think so, but they need more - in fact, it might have been 1 tablet per 1.5kg. I used to break the tablet in half to give Buster.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

The Comfortis for cats goes by weight - the tablet is 11 mm across and quite thick and Rufus did NOT like having is shoved down his throat by the vet. It worked a treat, though. The tablets are 'chewable', but we all know what cats are like when it comes to taking meds...
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

I've had a cat with a flea allergy and it was kept at bay with just Advantage every 6 weeks.