Cats not eating wet food

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catriona97
New Cat Chatter

Cats not eating wet food

Post by Catriona97 »

Hi,

I have two cats that have recently had little interest in canned food. They still eat the dry food but will take a couple of licks of wet food then turn away. They used to get excited now they don't care. They will even meow at me when it's time for canned food but then won't eat it. They are both healthy and were at the vets not that long ago. I keep trying but I'm wondering if they are just completely bored with what I give them. It's just odd that they both are acting this way. I think they had a meeting and decided to go on strike! :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cats not eating wet food

Post by Crewella »

It might be something as simple as the weather. All of mine tend to get pickier and eat less when it's warm, and it does seem to be the wet food they get pickier about.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

Welcome to CC.
As long as you leave them plenty of water cats should be OK. I know people will say they need wet food because of cystitis etc. However, I was in cat rescue for over 20 years and we dealt with hundreds of cats a year and to be honest we had just as many cats with the problems related to a dried food diet that were fed on a wet diet, mixed dried & wet, or just dried< Of course if a dried food dirt only it is wise to get a good quality dried food and perhaps not the really cheapo brands that are in some supermarkets. As you possibly know cats are strange creatures and many like a change of brand or type of food occasionally.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Hi
My Badger was definitely a dry food cat. Although I always put some wet food down for him, from kittenhood he would only eat a few mouthfuls of wet food out of tins or packets (left the rest for Tilly) and subsisted on dry food and plenty of water. Only wet food he enjoyed was fresh mouse which he was very expert at catching!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

when my Tosker was living rough outside he would eat almost anything, but once he was indoors he not only ate less, but became more and more unwilling to eat anything other than Tiffany's preferred diet of Gourmet pate and RC and JWB kibble, to the extent now that there is no point offering any other food

so perhaps cats do pick up on each other's eating habits - and it does make life a lot easier
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey there.

I wouldn't worry too much about your cats habits unless you're buying in bulk. Cats can get very picky and will turn their nose up at anything even if it's sometimes their favourite dish. If you have the time or money perhaps a little taste test would come in handy. Buy some of the popular wet food brands and see which plate gets cleaned and which gets turned away.
If your budget can't afford it I'd seriously stress against the high-end stuff. "Gato gourmet" was a real killer in this house for my cat but there's no way I can afford 3 tins a day at 2€ a can. My cat fasted for 2 days straight because I wouldn't buy her more but at the end of the day she's overweight anyway.

Bottom line is, if your cats are healthy, don't worry. If they're not eating for days on end then there's a bigger issue than picky eating.