Hard Time Processing Raw Meat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Meow
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Hard Time Processing Raw Meat

Post by Meow »

my cat vomited all the food tonight. he's 2 months old, and I already feed him raw meat. I cut it to very small pieces, and make sure it's tender.

Previously, I noticed him going to the litter box more often than he should, and he releases very small amount of faeces, and they are always liquid, greenish-grey in colour.

Today, I found vomit consisting in equal amounts of canned tuna (it's a canned tuna without any vegetable oils), and raw goat meat near the litter box that looked like it was there for the entire night. It was a lot, and it was completely unprocessed. I don't know if he vomited them all at once, or if he first ate one, and then vomited, and then ate another one, and vomited again because they are very close together, but not mixed. Just two puddles side-by-side, completely unprocessed.

He looks very lively, and wants to play. He runs, and jumps around, and looks really healthy. When I woke up, and before I found the vomit beside the litter box, I was met by my kitten, who looked hungry, and started asking me for food. I checked the feeder, and found that it was completely empty. A minute later I found that he vomited everything he ate (probably during the night time (I left him lots of food before going to sleep)). Another thing that I should say is that I left tuna and raw meat side-by-side.

Maybe I should not have left such a contrasting course for him, and it caused problems with the digestion, that I can see, but why has he been having morbid stool during the past 3 days? One last thing to say, before that, I was giving him beef, and he ate the entire huge thing in 3-4 days, and he had been having a good, solid stool, but I decided since it is a very important time in his life (2 months old) when his eating habits are formed, I should diversify, and introduce him to many different sorts of meat, and fish, so I bought pork, and some sheep meat, and some tuna.

Thank you for reading into this, and helping my kitten out.

- Killer
(it's the name of the kitty..)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Hard Time Processing Raw Meat

Post by Ruth B »

I can't comment on the raw diet it is something I have heard of, but not a road I have gone down for my cats.

You did mention a feeder, is this for the raw food, or do you feed dried food as well? I have had several cats that eat too fast and their stomachs just get overwelmed and throw it all back up almost straight away totally undigested. Limiting the amount available at any one time helped, giving them several small meals each day instead of a couple of big ones.

There are also feed balls available that can be used with dried food. They are large plastic balls with small holes, you put the food inside and as the cat knocks the ball around the food comes out one or two pieces at a time, which really does slow their eating down and gives them a fun game at the same time.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I would have thought a 2 month old kitten should be still having his mother's milk - at that age no kitten would be catching its own prey, so surely a raw diet would be too much

have you tried him on a proprietary kitten food? at least as a supplement to the raw food

and please bear in mind that although there are undoubtedly merits in feeding a raw diet, there are concerns around it re bacterial contamination, and that could be the cause of his problems
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

It might also be the change that has upset him, you should introduce any change in diet slowly, bit by bit, to avoid upsets. I don't feed raw meat wither (thogh I do sometimes give raw chicken wings) but you need to make sure that he gets a 'complete' diet - raw meat alone will not have all the nutrients he needs.