Poor little Blackie ....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Poor little Blackie ....

Post by Jan »

The fur licking/mowing is still ongoing .. though a few weeks back we did notice the sprouts of fur starting on his belly. Hurrah we thought.

Then my mother died very unexpectedly and the house seemed to be thrown into chaos - with me breaking down in tears at any given moment,, my OH obviously upset as he was close to my mother. Naturally Blackie immediately picked up on our stress and the fur licking started all over again.

He's also still bothered by the 'young intruder' into his garden though my OH has seen him chase the cat off and has found light coloured fur in the garden and in the garden room where they've obviously had a fight. Blackie must have been very angry as he'd rather run away than fight.

We now have some fur missing off Blackie's neck where he's scratching himself. The vet assured me this is down to added stress - of me being bed bound for half the time with excruciating back pain - mostly knocked out by the strong painkillers I've been prescribed. My OH took over feeding him for a couple of weeks which is strange for Blackie and he's constantly coming into the bedroom, giving me a quizzical look, then giving a crying miaow. If the door isn't opened, he sits outside crying.

My back is now slowly recovering and I'm managing to feed Blackie - but have to put his bowl through the rails so he can eat it on the stairs. To my amazement, I did this once - the next time I was putting food in his bowl in the kitchen, I saw him sitting at the bottom of the stairs .... this is one clever cat!

It has been a hellish time over the past 3 weeks - I never, ever saw my mother's death coming - we'd planned to bring her home for an afternoon tea on Sat 28 May, instead we were watching her slip away in peace and with dignity in Weston General.

The funeral is on Thursday and we decided that Blackie should spend a few days with his 'Auntie Linda' at her cattery as strange people in the house we think will only add to his stress. I hope we've made the right decision.

As you can imagine, Blackie has become even more precious to us as he is a living link to Mum who cared for him for 10 years.

Post a new topic
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Poor little Blackie ....

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry for your loss, Jan. That's a tough few weeks for you, never mind poor Blackie. I hope your back is feeling better. (((hugs)))
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear your news, Jan. Helen is right, it really has been a tough time for you.

Sounds like Blackie gets on well with his 'Auntie Linda', I'm sure it would be best for him and less stressful for the both of you.

Thinking about you,

Sue xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Jan, I am so very sorry :( What an awful time you've been having. (((hug)))
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

Thank you so much for your condolences. The funeral passed with less emotion than I envisaged, simply because Mum left us all with so many happy memories that caused much laughter. Not to mention that 5 minutes into the journey, we suddenly remembered we hadn't got the single red carnation and single red rose with us that were going to be put on top of her coffin at the end of the ceremony. Some friends then had to drive my OH back to the house to get them. It broke the sadness and caused us to remember how much Mum would have laughed and said 'That's just typical - forget your head if it wasn't on your shoulders'.

As for Blackie ... he made so much noise on Wednesday when my OH got him in the car to take him to his 'Auntie Linda', that though my back was killing me, I went along to the cattery with his basket on my lap as I usually do. Believable or not, as soon as we arrived at the cattery, put his basket on the chair in Linda's reception, he never made another sound! Linda said she was sure Blackie knew exactly where he was and I was assured she'd put him in his usual pen where he could see her mixing the food.

From texts I've received, seems he's absolutely fine, and as he loves to explore, she's given him the run of the cattery which I know Blackie loves to do. So we've left Blackie in there for a couple of days extra until we have the house back to just my OH + myself.

I know it will be emotional for me to see him again ... he is a living link to Mum.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm glad you got through the funeral OK, and that Blackie seems to be coping well. Thinking of you. xx