scratching the sofa

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

scratching the sofa

Post by catslave16 »

My 5-year old Rufus came to live with me last September, after the old lady he lived with died. He's settled in really well, is a pretty laid-back cat, no problems at all apart from the fact he scratches the arms of the sofa. He's had a proper scratch post from the day he moved in, and I've sprinkled powdered cat nip on it, but in typically perverse cat fashion he isn't interested (I also got him one of those bristly arches for 'self-grooming', and he wasn't remotely interested in that either, and neither was my neighbour's cat to whom I passed it on). For a while I attached pieces of carpet to the arms of the sofa, and he didn't scratch those, but since I've re-decorated I've removed them as they looked so odd, and hey presto, Rufus has gone right back to scratching as before. I've wiped the fabric with a detergent solution and sprayed it with Febreze, to try and remove his smell. There is a hormone spray available but the vet said it probably wouldn't work as he'll have marked the sofa as his territory and it's likely to be too late now. The stuff is also very expensive. I'm now considering rubbing the arms of the sofa with lemon skin, or even sprinkling lemon juice on it as cats are supposed to dislike citrus smell. He goes outside quite often where there are plenty of scratching opportunities. Any suggestions?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: scratching the sofa

Post by Janey »

We had a cat who scratched the sofa arm too. What I did was place a good, strong scratching post right next to the arm and every time she went to scratch the arm I lifted her on to the post. I also placed catnip on there and after a short time she used the post. Then I gradually moved it away from the arm, a bit each day and continued to place her on the post if I saw her go to the sofa arm. It worked a treat. I hope you manage to sort it. I have one now who scratches the carpets! not so easy to stop and I am due to get new carpets shortly so I will be working on her.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Double-sided sticky tape is very useful (and cheap) for deterring cats which like to scratch carpets or chairs/sofas, so long as it isn't in an area which inconveniences you. They hate the sticky feel of it under their paws - I've used it in various places with great success when any of mine have taken a liking to an area I've not wanted them to scratch. It's certainly worth a try.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Both good advice. You might find the lemon skins will stain your sofa, so I'd avoid doing that. I've just found nice throws to put over the arms that they scratch, plus putting a good scratching post right by the arms they scratch the most does the job. I'm afraid having a less than perfect looking home is all part of owning any pet (except perhaps goldfish!) but you can at least protect them like this when it's just you at home, the whip off the throws when you have visitors coming. It's a small price to pay for the pleasure our mobs and dogs give us.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Another vote here for double-sided sticky tape, and also for then putting the post right by the arm where he scratched. Good luck!
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Thanks to all of you. Putting the scratching post in front of the sofa was the first thing I tried, but as I said, Rufus Tuftypaws just isn't interested. I'll try the double-sided sticky tape, that sounds like a good idea. Should I cover the whole area or just apply a few strips?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

When I've done it I've put several strips quite close together right along the spot where they've scratched.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I've found just one strip usually does the trick. I use "Sticky Paws", so the strips are a bit wider than double sided sticky tape from stationery stores.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

I've usually used 2 strips - as soon as they feel the stickiness under their paws they tend to keep away from the area.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Thank you - I'm going to try the sticky tape and I'll let you know if it works.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Sorry, but I don't see how buying cat toys will make the slightest bit of difference to this particular problem!! :roll:
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

My Dave has made MASSIVE inroads (holes) in my chair. Big enough even to shove him in (not that I would of course :? )
Anyway, a few weeks ago, I bought a coconut mat for my back door......Dave loves it and now uses that exclusively to strop his daggers. :)

It's a bit late for my chair, but maybe worth a thought for your problem puss.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yes, I have a couple of those heavy coir and rubber doormats and my gang love them. :)