sores skin rash? HELP

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
orangey
New Cat Chatter

sores skin rash? HELP

Post by orangey »

ok so this is not my cat, I have told the owner to take it to the vet and flea treatment it but they havent so far. I also want to point out the cat is not mistreated it is fed and lives in a house and the owner is kind to it they just arent a believer in taking animals to get treated at the vet

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what these rashes are and is there anything i can do to help it. They look so sore and I just feel really upset for the poor little thing. I have seen a few fleas running on it and the rashes are on its flanks and belly, it also has bald patches down its legs. Its always itching and over grooming. Any advice would be really appreciated!
Attachments
20160707_171842-1.jpg
20160707_171842-1.jpg (67.81 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
20160707_171935-1.jpg
(130.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20160707_171856.jpg
20160707_171856.jpg (59.66 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: sores skin rash? HELP

Post by Lilith »

Hi orangey and welcome :)

Ouch! Poor little devil!

I think you're quite right to blame the fleas - I'd bet my bottom dollar that this is a clear case of eczema caused by flea allergy and that merely using a good flea treatment would bring a LOT of relief. Plus the owners may need to zap the house for fleas - maybe that might kickstart them into helping him; so many people can live with the fact of 'the cat' having fleas but the realisation of the house, where they eat and sleep, being infested, with fleas, eggs and larvae, fills them with horror. And there's no point in banning the cat from the house (as some people do) because those fleas, even unfed, will go on living and loving (and breeding) in that house...

I once had to rescue and board a couple of litters of feral kittens; they were CRAWLING and so were their mothers, but the kittens were too young to treat, so I lived with fleas for weeks. As I was sitting in my armchair one evening I glanced down and saw flea larvae WAGGLING at me out of the upholstery...

Try telling this little guy's owners that, and see them squirm...mwahahaha... :lol:

With any luck they might be off to the vet's for soothing flea stuff and a good household spray in no time...
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome, I agree it needs sorting, in fact it is fleas it can get so bad the cat has hardly any fur. My cat was like this when she left her previous home and found us. To cut a long story short we ended up keeping her (with their consent) but she was nearly bald. Also, it turned out the RSPCA had been called at one point and they told them to take her to get treated. If they don’t get the cat treated it’s really not looking after it properly as it must be in discomfort. Bless you for caring.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Oh my heart aches for the poor wee thing. When we rescued my little black cat Armand, he had a massive flea infestation, scratched sore 24/7 but one dose of prescribed flea treatment resolved. His wee body was so sore and I mention this because the Vet said, just as in human head lice infestation, eventually the bites turn septic and can cause blood poisoning ( I can't spell septicaemia!). I don't mean to be harsh, but it's all very well the owner not believing in Vets, if it was one of them with such sores would they not believe in going to the Doctor? It's not kind, it's downright cruel! We have the SSPCA here in Scotland, an excellent organisation but if you are in England, I would make a quiet telephone call to the RSPCA. I'm sorry pet, you are doing your best, not your fault, but it makes my blood boil. :(
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh good grief ..... if Lilith's story doesn't send them running to the vet, I don't know what will!!!!!!

Poor little cat, that looks so sore. I must admit that I'd be tempted to treat the cat myself if I didn't get any joy from the owners, but I'd try to make sure that they knew so there's no danger of a double dose from both doing it! Good luck!

I don't get the 'not believeing in vets' thing - they may be a necessary evil sometimes but the DO exist, and for a reason. It's not like ghosts and fairies!!