Our cat and his sudden condition.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Andy1975
New Cat Chatter

Our cat and his sudden condition.

Post by Andy1975 »

My first post and question, but it was 3 almost 4 months since our cat (Woody) of 20 years old was pts. It was sudden, he fell ill whilst we were away, but where he staying for the week he was getting a fuss from my Dad who was is not an animal person, but with the unusual exception on my cat who he always had a soft spot for, so he was in good company when he staarted to go downhill. When we returned and my Dad bought our antique moggy Woody back home I must admit he looked kind of shellshocked (the cat not my Dad) At first I was not to concerned as he normally stays at home when we go away and our neighbour is at hand to do the feeding duties for him, so I initially thought he was out of sorts coming back to his old enviroment. But we cuddled and he seemed fine, then he urinated on the sofa, which is out of character for him and he made no attempt to even try to get to the litter tray. I was not cross but very concerned and knew he was unwell. He has for the last few years urinated sometimes where he shouldn't, weather that was some kind of dementia creeping in I cannot say, but while him urinating in the wrong place was frustrating the last thing I was thinking was having him put to sleep or push hm away as when our pets get old or infirm that is when they need you most, especially after years of affection they have given to us it's the least I could do. I didn't mess around, next day I took him to the vets (not our regular vets as my car was in the bodyshop and wasnt ready to drive) I also noticed just before I set out to the vets that he was opened mouth breathing. They kept him in and performed an Xray, full blood test, but him on fluids, anibiotics, and an oxygen tent therapy which seemed to help a lot. But the xray showed fluid build up in the chest which I now know is called plural effusion. This vet wanted £500 to drain the chest. He told me that he didn't nessacerally think my cat was at the end stage so I took my cat home that evening with a course of diaretics. but I got a second opinion from my regular vet who had a diffrent view entirely. She though it was his time (not what I wanted to hear) and recommeded he be pts. However I did forget to ask at my regular vet about draing the chest ( as I stayed up all night with him incase he needed emergency treatment. Sure the fluid build up could return but I think back now and wonder if we had it done once or the use of a chest tube inserted, could he have pulled through and be with us now, even with his other ailments. I certain I'm not the only one who as thought about the what if but I thought if I posted the xray and results someone could deciper what was wrong and if there was a chance for him. While getting some sort of answer won't change the outcome it would help if we were to deal with something similar again with our other cats. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Attachments
2016-03-30_2 [www.imagesplitter.net].jpeg
2016-03-30_2 [www.imagesplitter.net].jpeg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
WOODY ARMOUR0000.jpg
(255.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Guinevere
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Our cat and his sudden condition.

Post by Guinevere »

Hi Andy,

I'm so sorry to hear about Woody. I'm afraid I have no advice regarding the Xray but I do understand that it was a difficult time for you to make that decision. You went on the advice of your trusted vet and I know that it is very common to feel we could have/should have done more after a loss.
One of my cats was killed on the road while I was away and my neighbour was taking care of him. I beat myself up a lot after that thinking if only I hadn't left him, he would be alive.

Hopefully some seasoned Catchatters will come along soon and share their great wisdom with you.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

we all understand the feelings when a beloved cat has to be pts, but 20 cat years is the equivalent of 100 in human years, which is a tremendous age

you should be very proud of having got Woody to such a milestone, and being realistic his failing health was probably more to do with his age than any illness - fluid in the lungs is very often a symptom of heart failure, which is irreversible in a cat of his age, and if his chest had been drained it would have returned very quickly, and he would have suffered the treatment and trauma of a vet stay for nothing

it's always difficult at first to stop dwelling on the end of life, but you must have many many good memories of Woody's life with you, and those will start to become more important as time goes on
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Andy and Guinevere, I am so dreadfully sorry to hear about the demise of your beloved pets and know exactly what you mean about beating ourselves up with 'if only'. When my wee darlings, Armand and Cody died unexpectedly within 4 weeks of each other, I was distraught thinking along those lines but my hubby, who was also grieving, was much more pragmatic. He told me I wasn't God and didn't get to decide, harsh at the time, but true.
Andy, I won't attempt to decipher your graph but can tell you I agree entirely with your regular Vet. My Armand was always a little wheezy, having come to us with various nasty ailments. Although fastidious about using the litter box, even waiting his turn when necessary, he had always urinated in a corner of the hall. Vet said he had bits left over of an undescended testicle. We all agreed Armand had been through enough, he was now happy and lively, so rummaging about in his wee body with little chance of success, was not an option. I simply mopped up every morning. But.. in March he started to urinate all over the house and developed a bad cough. The hacking would wake me during the night but he would just be sitting there, no fur ball or vomit. Sometimes his fluffy cover would be soaked but not with urine, I later learned this was fluid from his lungs. We took him to Vet where, fortunately for the wee soul, he displayed the same symptoms. Vet very worried, took him immediately for a sedative to calm him down and oxygen prior to an X-Ray. Although not PTS, Armand died, slipped away quietly and peacefully. X-ray taken on his demise showed his lungs full of fluid, a tumour pressing on his tiny heart, filling his chest. I couldn't believe the huge amount of liquid syphoned off, my poor boy. I tell you this because both Vet and Head nurse said he had been walking a tightrope for weeks, was drowning in his own fluids, would have had a horrible, frightening, painful death. Even if we had taken him in 2 weeks prior or he had survived that day, Vet assured us 'Armand a very sick cat, would have asked permission to PTS.' We thank God Vet had the compassion and good sense to ease my boy's breathing and panic, let him slip away with no fear or pain. Armand was 11yrs old, we took him in when he was 5yrs. Woody, thanks to your good care, was 20yrs old. Your regular Vet so right to tell you it was Woody's time. You both gave your pet the gift of a peaceful, relaxed end to a wonderful life. Yes, I'm sure the fluid would have built up again, no you would not have wanted Woody to suffer, I have asthma and know what it is like when you can't fill your lungs with air. Incidentally, I showed my friend, who works for the PDSA your message. 2yrs ago, one of her many cats, had exactly the same symptoms you describe in Woody, age 19yrs. Chest was drained, but fluid build up returned within days, she made the decision to have Henry PTS. Please put your mind at rest, I believe it was Woody's time, thank goodness you put the welfare of your pet first.

Issi
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Kay (I seem to say that a lot). I lost one of my old girls, Spook, in similar circumstances - we did drain the fluid off once but it came back within a couple of days and we then decided she had had enough. She was 18, but her heart was failing and I could see she'd had enough. 20 is a tremendous age, and I think you did very well to get him to that age in such good health, please don't beat yourself up about this. It sounds as though you did all you could.

Rest in peace Woody.
Andy1975
New Cat Chatter

Post by Andy1975 »

Thanks everyone of you weather you just read or replied. It seems the consensus that however hard it can be that the correct treatment and course of action was used even though something dosen't seems or feel quite right. I thought that 20 years wasn't that long a life and was hoping he would make it 35-40 years, but reading around it seems 20 is an antique age for a pet, barring of course pets such as a tortoise. We have 2 old cats that we have adopted and they are delightfull, however a silence has come over our home as woody was exeptionally loud in everyway right down to the aspects of him knocking on or kicking doors, talking, snoring, removing washing from radiators, and his larger than life tallness, and big personality, many people in the neighbourhood were very intrigued by him, and he looked only a young cat of 6 with his bright clear green/blueish eyes. I'm sure everyone has had similar experieces with their pet friends, or if not similar but somehow enduring in a diffrent way. It feels like he is gone but not gone. But hear I will post a photo of King Woody.
Attachments
DSCF2802 [www.imagesplitter.net].jpeg
(61.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Woody Portrait2 [www.imagesplitter.net].jpeg
(96.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Guinevere
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Guinevere »

Woody in the bath made me laugh! He was a very handsome boy and does look rather regal! I don't think there are any cats who live to be in their 30s or 40s! You did so well to get him to aged 20 which is very old for a cat! God bless him RIP.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Awww, he's so cute, bless him.
The fact that Woody lived to such a venerable age is a great credit to you and your care for him.
Having him pts was a last, loving thing you did for your boy.

Sleep well, lovely Woody.