Cat won't stop acting crazy!! - please help!!!!!!!!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
marisajessica
New Cat Chatter

Cat won't stop acting crazy!! - please help!!!!!!!!!

Post by marisajessica »

My cat is about 8 or 9 months old.

The past 2 months he has been acting super crazy and it's driving me INSANE, i dont know what to do!

He runs around crazy, knocks stuff over, chews up every roll of toilet paper, knocks over the bathroom trash and chews it all up, he kicks cat litter all over the floor, he eats the mat in front of the cat box, he knocks stuff off my desk and he eats and chews at every single wire in my room.

I play with him regularly but nothing helps. When he does these bad acts I spray him with a water bottle and yell at him but he just keeps doing it, like it's a game.

My frustration with him is climbing higher and higher and I desperately need some advice at how to calm him down and get him to stop destroying everything please!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Cat won't stop acting crazy!! - please help!!!!!!!!!

Post by Jacks »

marisajessica wrote:When he does these bad acts I spray him with a water bottle and yell at him but he just keeps doing it, like it's a game.
I think you may be right - he's playing. Part of it is youth and energy (think terrible 2's in a toddler) but is there any reason why you can't get him a playmate or start letting him out doors for periods? Does he have a climbing tree and is he neutered? Have you had a vet check?

Yelling is pretty pointless with a cat, he will ignore it if he's robust, or be terrified if he's delicate (which is doesn't sound like he is). Spraying with water indescriminantly (so for lots of things) doesn't give a clear signal and he won't associate the discomfort with an ACTION, which is generally where it's recommended by some.

It does sound like this boy needs someone to play with. When our kitten got to 7 months she was running around like a crazy thing and scratching paper off the walls. We got a slightlly younger, playful companion, and they romped and play chased through the house and spared the paper...

Let's see what else people can suggest :-)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, this is just normal kitten behaviour - he's playing. It's just part of them growing up, and in young animals this playfulness not only burns off energy but is also an essential part of them learning what the world's about and learning what's safe and what isn't. We all learn by trial and error, by pushing boundaries, by experimenting. Play is part of that. Plus the fact, it's just FUN! This sort of behaviour is also often a sign of a very intelligent cat who needs a lot of stimulation.

I do sympathise up to a point, my Mo was just the same, a real character, wreaking havoc all the time, and while he calmed down a bit as he got older, he stayed pretty bonkers most of the time I had him until I lost him too young to cancer at age 7. And BOY how I missed the chaos, the drama, the hilarity of him!! He did drive me to distraction quite often, but I loved every inch of him with every inch of me.

Is your boy neutered? If not, please get him done, this may be part of the problem, (although tbh getting Mo neutered didn't make a lot of difference - he was beyond all that!). Letting him out so that he could burn off some energy outside did help a lot (ONLY AFTER neutering though - if left intact, he will not only create more unwanted kittens, but will be more likely to get into fights and roam further from home).

I agree with Jacks, shouting and randomly spraying won't make a lot of difference. He will just view you as someone who shouts and occasionally soaks him, and he won't make the connection with your opinion of what he's doing. It may even make him act up more out of frustration. It has its place, but needs to be used in a structured way.

Shouting loudly should be replaced with a firm "no" and put him on the ground and ignore him, and keep calmly doing it, over and over if necessary, until he gives up. He will get the message eventually, so that when you see him about to do it again, that firm "no" should be enough to make him think again. Shut him out of the room just for a few minutes for a bit of "time out" if he's being really naughty, which breaks the moment and gives him a minute or two to calm down. But don't let this get in the way of building a calm relationship with him - he needs to see you as his "safe friend" so that he will listen to what you ask him to do. Just work on one set of unwanted behaviours at a time. Otherwise to him it's just random shouting and spraying. Distracting him with more acceptable play may be helpful, ie if he's about to knock everything off the mantlepiece for the third time today, lift him off with a firm "no" and start playing with him on the floor with something that will equally interest him.

Mo's behaviour was quite often associated with attention seeking, (usually chewing plants while watching me out of the corner of his eye, or knocking stuff over), so I would apologise for ignoring him and give him a few minutes play. This didn't really have the effect of rewarding his behaviour, he just learnt to ask me more directly, or I just spotted the signs sooner.

I did get a companion for Mo, and that also helped, although tbh I think she was the sort of cat who would have liked a quieter life, so make sure you choose carefully. A good rescue centre will help with that, and make sure you go through the introductions slowly so as not to introduce a load more stress into the situation.

Try not to feel overwhelmed by this, although it can feel a bit much sometimes. You're really lucky to have one of those real "characters", relax, learn to enjoy it, join in yourself (!) and once you get used to it, you'll never want a cat that's any different. I'd have another cat like Mo, and like your bonkers boy, in a heartbeat!
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

Yeh...he needs another cat I think. He is young and at that age its where they are really energetic. Its is very common for him to be like this.

Shouting will do no good.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

My Barney is at least 8 years old and quite a. Handful at times ! He loves too tear around the house a few times a day generally knocking everything over in his wake . . But though it can be overwhelming at times... I would never change a moment... So I get to pick up a few. Things off the floor and his litter is kicked around...and he bunny kicks and bites anything in sight. . . I would miss every Moment of his madness if. He was not here.......believe me it may seem annoying but you would miss his character . . Sometimes I truly believe that it's us humans who need to relax and maybe "play" a bit more life would be much more fun ! X
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

Your cat is certainly energetic and I doubt that will change. For me...i would not find that annoyoing, rather funny actually.