Deaf cat - fear aggression?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
jasminecat
New Cat Chatter

Deaf cat - fear aggression?

Post by jasminecat »

Hello - have just recently fostered a young deaf white cat about 10-12 months only. Very cute and happy to see you when you come into the room (chirrups, tail up, happy ears etc). However she will quite often quickly get a staring look in her eyes and lash out and hiss, even if she's been letting me stroke her a second before. I have three other cats and have had cats for years so I know body language etc but this is just really off putting and is making me think that I shouldn't keep her but let her go to someone who knows about deaf cats. I've read a few articles about fear aggression and I think, because she is deaf, perhaps is getting startled but doesn't make sense if she's happily being stroked. She has scratched me if I haven't been quick enough and even bit me this morning. Not good! I am not scolding at all, just leaving her alone when she does it.

I am wary of introducing her to my other cats in case she is just down right aggressive!

I know cats have a threshold of cuddles and can suddenly turn but this seems very very short for this little one so wanted to ask if anyone out there has experience of something similar. Vets has checked her over and all OK apart from definitely deaf as a post.

Thanks!
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Deaf cat - fear aggression?

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I don't have a lot of experience with deaf cats, but my gut feeling is tending to agree with OHWS that this is sounding more like regular/play aggression rather than fear related to her deafness. In case you've not seen it, the Cat Chat advice page on aggression might have some tips,

http://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-be ... aggression

and they also have a short piece on deaf cats:

http://www.catchat.org/index.php/disabl ... adopt-care
jasminecat
New Cat Chatter

Post by jasminecat »

Thanks for the replies :D I have tried hissing as this has always worked well for my other cats - but she cant hear it!! Bless her.