Very soft stools

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Very soft stools

Post by Grace56 »

Sorry, Dave again :?
I've been feeding Dave Sheba Gourmet Perle mini fillets in gravy for a change.
However, his 'poop' is very sloppy and not well formed and I wondered if this could be the food.
It seems to have started since I began feeding it to him.
Has anyone else noticed this with Sheba products?

Thanks,

Grace
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Very soft stools

Post by meriad »

it could be the gravy in the food as it contains cereals... what do you normally feed him?
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Usually Whiskas pouches and Go Cat dry food. And, as an occasional treat, those Webbox stick things and Dreamies.
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

Have you wormed him recently? It can happen when they have worms in the gut.
If he isn't needing worming treatment yet then it does sound like something isn't agreeing with him. Try switching him back to his regular food for a couple of days and see if it clears up. If you've wormed him and he doesn't respond to reversion to his regular diet then I'm afraid he'll need a trip to the vet!

In the meantime, if his behaviour becomes more lethargic, if he starts being sick or experiences any other symptoms in addition to the diarrhoea then you should take him straight to the vet.
GillianH
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by GillianH »

I would think that the Sheba was too rich for him because it has a much higher meat content than Whiskas and Go Cat.

One of mine cannot eat Applaws because of its high meat content - it gives him the squits!

Try half a pouch with some biscuits and see how that goes.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Thank you, LittlePen and Gillian. Yes, I think the Sheba is a bit rich. I have now got him back on his usual Whiskas and I'm withholding treats for a day or two.

He hasn't been wormed, so I will make an appointment at the vet just to make sure and have him wormed.

He hasn't been sick and he is eating ok and washing and playing. But I'll keep my eye on him and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again and fusses to your fur families. :)

Grace
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

GillianH wrote:I would think that the Sheba was too rich for him because it has a much higher meat content than Whiskas and Go Cat.

One of mine cannot eat Applaws because of its high meat content - it gives him the squits!

Actually Sheba and Whiskas both have the same minimum 4% meat content.
GillianH
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillianH »

booktigger wrote:
GillianH wrote:I would think that the Sheba was too rich for him because it has a much higher meat content than Whiskas and Go Cat.

That may be the case but Sheba is a higher quality product than Whiskas or Go Cat.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

GillianH wrote:
booktigger wrote:

That may be the case but Sheba is a higher quality product than Whiskas or Go Cat.
I disagree, as it has the same meat content, but its seen as a gourmet product and therefore costs more. Applaws is a higher quality product.
GillianH
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillianH »

booktigger wrote:
GillianH wrote:
booktigger wrote:

I disagree, as it has the same meat content, but its seen as a gourmet product and therefore costs more. Applaws is a higher quality product.

Actually - I can't be bothered to reply.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

GillianH wrote:
booktigger wrote:
GillianH wrote:

Actually - I can't be bothered to reply.
That's a shame, I was curious as to why you thought it was a higher quality product
GillianH
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by GillianH »

There is meat content and meat content. It may be the same amount but it is what is also in there that needs to be taken into account.

This thread is about a cat having an upset tummy and I don't feel your comments starting with "Actually" and "I disagree" are that helpful, hence me saying I could not be bothered to reply.

My comment about Sheba being somewhat rich for Dave is a valid one and in my option still stands. I am not going to get into a series of long posts about why you disagree or feel that you are better able to advise on the meat content of various cat foods.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

GillianH wrote:There is meat content and meat content. It may be the same amount but it is what is also in there that needs to be taken into account.

This thread is about a cat having an upset tummy and I don't feel your comments starting with "Actually" and "I disagree" are that helpful, hence me saying I could not be bothered to reply.

My comment about Sheba being somewhat rich for Dave is a valid one and in my option still stands. I am not going to get into a series of long posts about why you disagree or feel that you are better able to advise on the meat content of various cat foods.
Thanks for the reply - I only have gourmet Perle in but just compared it to whiskas and am surprised by the difference in the analysis - dont know enough about some of the minerals to know which is the better. I wasn't disagreeing about it being rich compared to Whiskas.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi TC had loose stools & I took sample to when I had Harper vacs. It was yellowish. Tested coccidia & giardia all three were put on meds oral milky stuff. For 3 days & they hated it, Vibravet & metidone 1/4 tab 2x day. TC was great, Harper defiant & Snow & I had argunpments over meds! :lol: :lol: Stools still loose but better colour. They'll need to be tested in 4 weeks. Got to go Vivian