Mojo lashed out at me!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Guinevere
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Mojo lashed out at me!

Post by Guinevere »

So Mojo the rescued male cat from the post below (Found Cat - very nervous) has lashed out at me!

He has gradually become quite attached following me about, rubbing up against me etc and I have progressed from just touching him on the tip of his head to cupping his head in my hand and stroking him - he can't get enough of this and purrs loudly. I had even started stroking him a bit further down his back always taking my cue from his body reaction. My resident cat is getting used to him a little and now only growls if he dares to look at her.

So, yesterday we were walking from one room to the other and he was looking up at me and talking so I reached down to stroke him on the head (as I have done so many times before while standing) but my fingers instinctively went under his chin (what cat doesn't like that?) and he immediately clawed my hand! It was such a shock! I have never intentionally and deliberately been scratched by a cat before and I am quite unsettled about it. I have not laid a finger on him since as I am scared to do so. Earlier he was laying in my path in the hallway (he throws himself down on his back as if he wants his belly rubbed - I certainly know better than to do that lol!) and I was afraid to approach him to get him to move, I was afraid to step over him and I was afraid to go around him for fear he might lash out at my legs. Prior to this, we moved around each other quite comfortably.

What can I do now? I am so wary of him (as I guess he is still wary of me if I do something unexpected). I have known so many cats in my lifetime but have never been scared of any of them. I am even thinking of rehoming him after all but am now worried I will pass the problem onto someone else.

Am I overreacting and how do we recover from this?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Mojo lashed out at me!

Post by Lilith »

You're not overreacting, but you're understandably shocked and surprised. I think two things are happening here:-

He's getting used to you and while enjoying your company and affection, he's past the 'honeymoon period' where he's been new cat in new home and a bit subdued, and he's beginning to get a bit bolshy, as many cats do.

He's only recently been neutered and the testosterone won't be out of his system yet. An entire tom can be unpredictable; he's like a bull or a stallion and needs some understanding - but the human might not always know what'sin his mind and what triggers off aggression. I had one lad who moved in, was neutered; I bent down to give him a love one day and crunch! Antibiotics. He became utterly gentle.

Sometimes a cat will permit a love and a stroke; sometimes the same gesture will trigger off irritation for some unknown reason.

Oops that's three things.

But please don't be nervous of him. Keep talking to him and if he cuddles up to you try touching him as much as you're comfortable with. I've found that faces and stomachs seem to be risky areas with some cats; that they enjoy back strokes but stroking the base of the back can trigger off a twitchy response that is either ecstasy or 'leave me alone!' If he's aggressive, tell him 'No!' sharply. Don't snatch your hand back; withdraw it slowly (I know it's hard not to pull away fast; takes some practice.) You're both still learning each other but I feel you have to train him a little, and make it clear that this is unacceptable behaviour, even if he isn't necessarily doing it out of dominance/naughtiness. Just ignore him for a bit. Then about 10 minutes later or if he comes to fuss, tell him what a good lad he is and even if you can't quite bring yourself to touch him, give him a lot of praise and maybe a treat or two.

I really do feel things will calm down between you and these are a few thoughts off the top off my head, but there will be more experienced people along who can advise you further on this kind of behaviour.

It IS a bit scary when it happens for the first time, but bear with him; he'll settle. I hope you two will be sharing cuddles again quite soon. Feral tomcats CAN be difficult to rehabilitate at first but believe me once they settle, they are so rewarding and loving.

All the very best with him x
Guinevere
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Guinevere »

Thanks Lilith - so glad you replied! "No good deed goes unpunished" keeps going round my head lol!

I subsequently noticed two little wounds under his chin so perhaps I accidentally touched one of those? I have been very cautious to avoid the ones behind his ears and the one above his eye. I am so used to touching Guinevere all over that I absentmindedly went too far. Guinevere endures and enjoys all sorts of touch from me. I kiss her often, ask for kisses on my cheek from her (which she gives on demand!), I massage her, I lay on her, I pick her up, I hold her paws, I clean her ears, I wipe her bum (gross but true - she is too fat to reach!), etc, etc .... but I have known every part of her for 14 years so we are well used to each other.

I have known Mojo for just a few weeks and I wonder if he has been harmed in the past. I guess I will go back to the beginning and start again.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Lilith, it's just a little bump on the road you're both going down together. He's obviously not a nasty cat, so as you say perhaps you just hit an 'unfortunate' spot. Just take things slowly and I'm sure all will be well in the long run.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah, Guinevere's spoilt you lol :) You get cats like that - my Emily's the same at 15, and 14 year old Mouse, and Mouse's mother Tess who I lost nearly 10 years ago. All ex-ferals but 'never a frown' ('Golden Brown' was 'Tess's song'; she was a dark tortie.) After experiencing cats like that you just aren't prepared for aggression, whatever the cause, and it comes as a shock.

That's the trouble with a cat you don't know - my youngest cat Molly would often lash out; she was a real mixed up kid; she'd come to love, I'd stroke her without thinking - and wham! She's better these days but I used to joke that she was half Scottish wildcat. Nature or nurture? Hard to say. Boys are gentler though and although Mojo seems to be showing a side of him that's a tough guy with a tough past I feel sure that this behaviour will improve - but don't let him get away with it. Scold him, withdraw, and then love him :)

There's another thing too - if you haven't got a good disinfectant/ointment in your medicine cabinet, I'd recommend buying one, just in case. Cats' claws and teeth can carry all sorts of nasties; this was brought home to me today when I met a fine ginger neuter in the garden and although he wanted to escape he was too afraid to find his way out. I had to grab him and guide him and he was terrified. He didn't so much scratch as kick with his back legs and he scratted lumps out of me. I was making coffee at the time and without thinking I just swilled my hand under the cold tap - ten minutes later the wrist was uncomfortable and I saw sense and went and found the Savlon. I'm afraid I'm very careless about these things. Hibiscrub is the best stuff - they sell it at Boots but it works out cheaper from Amazon; I must buy some more. You can use it for animal injuries too. Ali Kat, the cat who bit me and I let the bite go septic, got given this at the vet's for awful sores all over his stomach - and he used to let me daub it on. When he first moved in it was as much as my life was worth to touch him.

I hope Mojo behaves himself in future and you never have to recourse to ointments etc but better safe than sorry. Do hope the old chap realises he's overstepped the mark - bad lad! All the best with him :)