Moving from a house with garden to a flat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Billy12
New Cat Chatter

Moving from a house with garden to a flat

Post by Billy12 »

Hi, in 8 months time I'm planning on moving from a house with a garden and a grass alleyway leading to lots of open space to a flat. The reason being is that I can't afford to rent a house anymore and can't afford to buy one in this area. My question to you is about my 5 year old male cat who is used to be out all day long. I don't have a cat flap but just open the door for him in the morning and then greet him when I get back from work. Please could you share your views / wisdom with me on moving him into a two bed flat? I love him to bits, and we are extremely close as he came into my life when my wife left me, so I'd do anything for him! Thanks so much.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Moving from a house with garden to a flat

Post by JulieJulie »

What floor will the flat be on? Will you have your own entrance or shared? Are you going to be in a quiet area or main road? Will you have a garden either your own or shared?
Billy12
New Cat Chatter

Post by Billy12 »

These questions are tricky to answer. Ideally it would be ground floor in a quiet area with lots of area to play in. Chances are it won't be.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Ok so you haven't located anywhere yet. First hurdle of course will be finding somewhere to accept pets.
Lots of cats live in flats but it takes more work to keep them safe and happy.
I'd say he's better staying with you than trying to rehome him as you're willing to prioritise his needs. He's not so young as to be too crazy hopefully!
You'll need to consider providing him shelter if he's out all day and perhaps check out the neighbours if you have a communal entrance. I've seen catflaps in flat doors too.
Windows will be the other issue as you'll need to make sure they're secure if its not ground floor.
Cats do adapt. I had a cat on first floor and luckily the neighbours liked him and would let him in and out the main door and there weren't any nasty dogs around. However he did have window ledges where he could get up high too.
I would really really try to avoid main roads above all else.
Billy12
New Cat Chatter

Post by Billy12 »

Thank you so much for taking the time out to answer so thoughtfully. That's really helped me.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Billy, when the time comes why not see if you can rent a maisonette vs a flat and specify that to the agent when you're looking? They have their own front doors which may make things a lot easier for you. And start looking now - would you be in a position to move sooner if the right property came up for you to move into?

And don't forget, once you do move you should ideally keep him in for a minimum of 4 weeks anyway so he'll sort of get used to being indoors a bit at that point.

another thing to mention is that many agencies are the ones that have the no pet policies but sometimes if you ask them to ask the landlord direct they say yes. Also check on whatever council you're moving to if they have rentals properties available on their books, as usually council often allow pets

best of luck
Billy12
New Cat Chatter

Post by Billy12 »

Thank you, that's a really valid point. I have seen one or two maisonettes, and a ground floor one would certainly make sense for my little friend. I only joined this forum yesterday, and I can only say that already I can see you are an amazing online community whose help I appreciate greatly.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with the others, try letswithpets.org.uk as they might help you find somewhere suitable. Good luck!
cattrina99
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by cattrina99 »

Just another thought - we had good luck when we asked our landlord if were allowed to put a cat-door into a window. The pane can be replaced quite easily when you move out again. (Easier than closing a hole in the door!)

Good luck with everything!