Yowling to go out in early hours.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Yowling to go out in early hours.

Post by Grace56 »

Dave is an indoor /outdoor cat and I let him in and out. During the nice weather I've had door open all day sometimes up to midnight. But Dave always knows when it's time to come in when I lock up and we go to bed.

However, at 2am this morning, I was woken up by Dave yowling at the door to go out. :?
After listening to the racket for a bit, I went down and let him out. All he did was sit on his plank of wood for ten minutes then I called him in, locked up and, after another yowl or two he came up to bed and settled down.

Then, at 5am, he started again. Yowl, yowl, yowl. So, down I went, let him out and here I am at 06:45 after a broken nights sleep.

But I'm wondering why he suddenly wants out at that hour. Could it be that he wants to check up on his territory or something? It may be a one off (I hope) and should I ignore him if it happens again. Difficult though as he has a very loud voice. :shock:

Thanks folks,

Grace 'yaaaaawn'
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Yowling to go out in early hours.

Post by bobbys girl »

Maybe this has something to do with the spat he had recently? Has something changed outside? Have you got 'visitors' you don't know of?

At least it is only something that started recently and it is only Dave. Purdy is a real pest for this. She will repeatedly walk over both of us, until one of us gets up and opens the window. She goes out, then, just as we are settling back to sleep Bobby flies in and jumps up on top of me 'oof' :roll:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

All mine come in for a late supper after dark and then stay in all night, and all are well used to the routine. Very occasionally, though, one of them will suddenly want to go out for some reason and start shouting. I will oblige them for a night or two - sometimes they've wanted to chew some grass or have a poo and come straight back in, sometimes they've just disappeared off and left me worrying until they come back. After two nights, tough - 'the rules' are there for a reason and I don't want them to get back into bad habits!

If I were you, I'd do the same with Dave, or you'll end up having to go through the whole shouting at the door scenario every night! Cats definitely try to train us and it's worth trying to ignore the yelling for a few nights, otherwise you'll very likely never get an unbroken night's sleep again! :D
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

bobbys girl wrote:Maybe this has something to do with the spat he had recently? Has something changed outside? Have you got 'visitors' you don't know of?

At least it is only something that started recently and it is only Dave. Purdy is a real pest for this. She will repeatedly walk over both of us, until one of us gets up and opens the window. She goes out, then, just as we are settling back to sleep Bobby flies in and jumps up on top of me 'oof' :roll:
Yes, I thought about the recent spat he had, Bobbys Girl. He probably wants to check that there are no intruders out there. Maybe he hears the foxes as well. Although they are very wary of me and flit as soon as I appear.
I just hope he doesn't do this every blessed night. :o

Crewella. I will have to be firm with him as I never leave him out all night. It's out with the ear plugs me thinks. ;)

Thanks for replying, folks. :)
Stewy
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Stewy »

how old is Dave? Cat's can howl when they are older, I refer to it as old timers :-)