The end is nigh.....she has pancreatitus

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

The end is nigh.....she has pancreatitus

Post by Kris35 »

Hi all,

My darling 18 and a half year old cat has had IBS for two years and now she has pancreatitus. She is already inflammed due to the IBS - had her bloods done yesterday and all is fine but now got this as had to wait longer for the result. I do not know what to do and am at my wits end. Vet gave her anti sickness shot yesterday and she came home and ate. Today she has been pooing blood -----her poo is like water but has been like that for two years and no steroids or anything has ever worked for her. She is also now on Synulox but I am very wary. Has anyone here got any experience in this? Thanks.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: The end is nigh.....she has pancreatitus

Post by bobbys girl »

No experience I'm afraid, but oh so much sympathy.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

My Tilly had a bad bout of Pancreatitis over New Year (there is a thread on here somewhere about it). It was very worrying, she was detained in the Vet hospital for 4-5 days, initially on a drip to re-hydrate, and she was on antibiotics and metacam. I thought I was going to loose her. I am glad to say after the treatment she has fully recovered and is as full of bounce and go as ever and there has been no indications of a recurrence. However, she was only 5yrs 9months old at the time, not 18 and a half and had no other health problems. But the outlook for your girl is by no means bleak, although you will need to make sure your pilling technique is in full working order!
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks. Not sure what to do - just read Synulox can have side effects and she was pooing blood earlier. Just been researching pancreatitis and Im not sure she is strong enough to go on a drip - I do not want her to be without me when she dies. Will see how she is overnight but am not giving her that antibiotic.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Kris35 wrote:Thanks. Not sure what to do - just read Synulox can have side effects and she was pooing blood earlier. Just been researching pancreatitis and Im not sure she is strong enough to go on a drip - I do not want her to be without me when she dies. Will see how she is overnight but am not giving her that antibiotic.
Please speak to your vet before stopping prescribed medication, they can probably give a different one. A drip could be the best thing for her, and may help her strength
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Kris - I think in your position I would go back to the Vets for advice. So far as i know, the drip is only necessary if, as Tilly was, your girl has dehydrated due to vomiting and not eating. If it was necessary your vets would have done it already. It is frightening how rapidly dehydration sets in. From what you say, it seams the trouble has been caught early. I am not sure about Synolux. Tilly was given Penicillin whilst at the Vets. I was supposed to complete the penicillin doses when she came home, but didn't manage to trick her into taking any for several days! Tilly also was supposed to have a special Gastro food, but that didn't meet with her approval, either, so it was Thrive Chicken breast instead.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

I will check with vets but only given her half a tablet - she has just eaten. Will ring vets in a mo but am sure we had this problem before and they said it was ok as only had one dose. I am convinced that is what made her heave this morning and the pooey blood. Sorry this is short - need to cuddle her and see what else she needs. Thanks so much for help.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

One of my oldies couldn’t take Synulox. I am sure your vet can give you something else. Give your little one a cuddle from me, I hope all is ok xx
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Poor baby and poor you. You must be so worried. I hope you get some advice from the vet.

Gentle fuss to your little un and thinking of you both.

Grace
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Uh - so much sympathy, I'm so sorry. I have no experience, but I agree that your vet should be able to prescribe something else if you're worried about the Synulox. It's tough but a drip may well be her best chance if the she becomes dehydtrated due to the diarrhea. All paws here crossed for her. (((hugs)))
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Kris35 wrote:Thanks. Not sure what to do - just read Synulox can have side effects and she was pooing blood earlier. Just been researching pancreatitis and Im not sure she is strong enough to go on a drip - I do not want her to be without me when she dies. Will see how she is overnight but am not giving her that antibiotic.
Kris my dear, I am so sorry your poor wee cat is having to suffer pancreatitis along with her other ailments. It must be miserable for her and very upsetting for you. :( My heart goes out to you and your brave wee darling.

Issi
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks all. She has perked up again and is eating quite well and purring her head off. Im going to talk to vet tomorrow as she isn't there today. One was meant to ring me back today but got nothing. Oody has never gagged and heaved like that - or pooed blood like that - two hours after the Synulox - rang vets last night and they were busy but were meant to get back to me but nobody has yet. I am very very wary of vets suggestions let me tell you. Yep they are vets but I know my cat. Actually Im going to ring them again as receptioist sounded a bit off last night and I'm not having it.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm glad she seems a bit better. Would it be possible to ask to see another vet?

I have had a few vets in my time, some have been wonderful, and I'm very grateful to have found my current vet as I trust him implicitly and he and I have a great understanding. It makes a huge difference if you feel you're both fighting on the same side and you have faith in their advice. I've also had some dreadful experience with vets, they are definitely not all as good as they should be! Good luck.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Kris thinking of you & your fur baby (((hugs))) Vivian
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

One of my cats was diagnosed with pancreatitis on friday (http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/view ... =13&t=5064), but she's only 5 and has no other health issues - no blood or vomitting. She has started to take 2 tabs of Synuclav a day.

She hasn't needed to go on a drip because she is eating and drinking, although she was given a lot of meds.

Alanc's cat was off the drip after 2 days or so (http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/view ... =13&t=4134) with the same thing.

Hopefully your furbaby (and mine) will be ok.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks all. She is up and down. Gone back to my other vet who wasn't tehre the other day......Mr Frisky, thanks for the threads - I've posted on one of them. I think she will be gone by next month myself and I have to just deal with it.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

All paws here crossed for them both. xx
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Thinking of both kitty’s too and really hoping things improve xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thinking of you both and your kitties and hoping for some good news.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

By the sound of it, the news is not good. Thinking of you. (((hugs)))