How can I fatten up my very active 2 year old?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

How can I fatten up my very active 2 year old?

Post by Hazel »

Last time we took Mika tithe vets he had list a little weight. The vet was not worried and said he probably weighed more previously as he was still growing so his weight had not settled down?!?

He is currently eating the best part of 2 sachets of Lidl's Coshida meat in jelly and if he is in the mood some Butchers Classic at bed time or overnight. We alo have Royal Canin Siamese biscuits down all the time.

He is quite active, likes to run about a lot, but is also quite snugly too so I not think he's overdoing it. He's also a Siamese so quite a slender rather than chunky cat anyway.

I want him to eat good quality food, not just fatten him up on cheap food with cereals in, but I do want to fatten him up a bit, he looks terribly thin and at nearly 2 years old I would have thought he'd be a bit chunkier than he is.

Any ideas?
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: How can I fatten up my very active 2 year old?

Post by KittyWitty »

Personally, if the vet said he was at a good weight and thinness then I'd be more inclined to preserve that. There is so many overweight fat cats out there and it really isn't fair on them.

If he is healthy and happy just let him be BUT if you really want to fatten him up them maybe try just giving him more food, if he'll eat it!
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

I don't want him to be fat, but you can see all of his spine when he lies down sometimes and I was worried that he had lost weight. Max was a lot heavier (~5kg vs 3kg) and he was still very muscular and slim and had a leg less to weigh :lol:
He has food down all the time and he does eat it. Maybe it's just because he is young. I will go today and look for a dry food with a bit more fat in it. The Siamese food is supposed to help keep them slim so I suspect it is quite low fat.

I don't know about you but I find it really hard not to type in cat speak sometimes!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Are Siamese fully grown at the age of 2? I thought one of my old cats was too thin, my old vet said we are that used to seeing overweight cats that we think normal cats are underweight. Even within breeds cats are different weights, he could just be a naturally small Siamese
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Chamaille is very lean, but when you pick him up he is quite heavy! The vet said when we first adopted him that he needed to lose weight, but with no meat on him it is tricky. I think his weight is fine now but still looks thinnish. He eats well, but doesn't eat it all which suggests he eats what he wants to, and that I am feeding him enough. He does come back to the dish an hour or so later but his sister has normally finished it off for him!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Hazel wrote: I don't know about you but I find it really hard not to type in cat speak sometimes!

:lol: :lol: oh yes, I know how you feel :lol: :lol:
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Some cats are just naturally skinnier than others. If he's eating ok and well in all other respects, I wouldn't worry about it. A neighbour's moggy who I cat-sit has always been terribly thin, but perfectly healthy. He has a quality dried food diet which he supplements with a generous helping of local wildlife. He's about 10 years old now, and in the last year or two he has only just started putting on a bit more weight as he slows down a bit.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm worrying about nothing then. Looking back at some photos of Max he was a larger cat I think, so maybe Mika still has some growing up to do or maybe he is just a smaller one so I suppose you can't really go off the weight, rather the shape of him.
He likes his meat so we're giving him an extra sachet of that a day. He not over eat because he will just eat less biscuit I think. I don't want him to go too far the other way!