Moving to a flat, how will the cat cope?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jinxed
New Cat Chatter

Moving to a flat, how will the cat cope?

Post by Jinxed »

My partner and I are separating and I'm moving out to a second floor flat.

Ideally my 12 year old cat would come with me, but I'm not sure how he will be. He doesn't use a litter tray and instead prowls ours and the neighbouring gardens. When he wants out, he miaows and we let him out. When he wants back in he waits to be let in. So going to a flat with no garden and becoming a house cat will be a big change for him. I'm not sure how I'll coax him to use a litter tray.

We are having to sell the house so staying where is just now isn't an option long term and my ex has yet to sort out a new place, but it will probably be a flat too.

Any thoughts on the likelihood of him being able to adapt and any advice on how to make the transition easier for him would be very welcome.

Thanks.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Moving to a flat, how will the cat cope?

Post by Lilith »

Hi, sorry to hear of your break-up.

It's amazing how adaptable cats are though; they can surprise you. I've looked after kittens who have never known of a tray - and the little things used it without a single mistake. Some of my cats have been feral but they all recognised the tray, and used it straight away. He will find it a huge change and you may have to be patient with him if he cries to go out, but he will be with you and possessions he knows, albeit in a strange place. If you can, if there are throws and mats he's used to, take them with you and spread them around; familiar furniture will help too if you're taking some, or even your worn clothing on the bed, just to make it smell like home. He might hide at first, depending on his temperament, but leave him be, just talk to him and tell him he's a good boy and it's all right, and he'll emerge in his own time. You might find that for the first day, or night, he doesn't eat or empty his bladder or bowels at all; this can be quite common with a cat in strange surroundings. Others can be totally unfazed; I once helped someone to move and he kept the cat confined in one room (which is a good idea if you can manage this, depending on layout of flat of course.) While the removal men were still crashing about, she'd eaten a meal and used her tray, lavishly.

There will be other people on here who can give further advice but hope this helps for now.

Hope he, and you, settle happily in your new home, all the best :)
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by catslave16 »

I think your cat will get used to a litter tray. When my Blake got ill with CKD I had to get a urine sample so I got those non-absorbent granules and bought a tray . He hadn't used a litter tray in 17 years but he 'went' within an hour. As other people have said, it's amazing how adaptable cats are.
It's going to be hard for you to keep him in, especially if he miaows heart-breakingly, and you're already stressed because you're breaking up with your partner. He may pick up on your stress and show some himself. On the other hand, he may just settle in - it all depends on his character.
I really feel for you at this difficult time, and wish you and your furbaby all the best.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Cats can adapt surprisingly well, and one thing you do have on your side is his age - he may well be happy to spend his retirement years as an indoor cat. As has been said, take it slowly and do try to make sure he has plenty of toys and, when he's settled in, playtime, to keep him from getting bored. Good luck, it sounds a horribly stressful time for you. xx
Jinxed
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jinxed »

Thanks all, not just for the good advice, but also the kind words.

I'm more hopeful he'll settle in now. Bringing lots of familiar 'stuff' is a great idea.

Thanks again.
tonks
New Cat Chatter

Post by tonks »

Hello, congratulations on your new life.
My mate has just very recently moved from a garden flat into a one bedroom no garden first floor flat with her 3 cats. Two of her cats are around 10 years old and one is around 2 and all are cute as they come and they are used to having a big garden in their old place, where they lived for several years, around 7 years I think.

I have only recently visited and the cats have never been happier! They have a tiny 10 inch balcony where one of them likes to sit and watch the movement outside and only one litter tray which she cleans out completely every three days (but there's 3 of them). No accidents, they look more relaxed and happier than ever!

So I guess my advice is to have a go. Take the cat in once the move is made and everything is ready and in place, so no extra stress with boxes and removal men (that's whatshe did). I If your flat is higher than the first floor put a lock on windows or some netting so that your cat won't try to jump out and injure himself in the process. Cat litter might be a hit and miss thing, mine like the clumping wood kind and I find it to be the best for odour control, but it tracks around a bit, while my mate uses crystals whichI find form puddles at the bottom of the tray unless you use an absorbent pad liner at the bottom of the tray. Good luck and all the best!