Kittens not weaning at 7 wks

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Gothgranny
Frequent Cat Chatter

Kittens not weaning at 7 wks

Post by Gothgranny »

Hi guys, I'm fostering mama moggie and 4 kittens. Kittens nearly 7 weeks old, but not interested in solid food yet (except for one who will lick a bit of Whiskas kitten food). All they want is mum's milk! I've tried just about everything including baby food, sardines, kitten formula, baby rice, 3 types of kitten food and 2 types of kibble, but no success yet. Is this normal, are some cats just slow developers? They're drinking, peeing & pooing ok, just not eating solids. Mama doesn't mind feeding them on demand, even though she's on antibiotics for mastitis. I've been separating mama & kitties for up to 4 hrs at a time, but the little ones still won't touch food. Anything else you would recommend to speed things up? Or should I just leave it & let them take their time?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kittens not weaning at 7 wks

Post by Lilith »

Hi there, it IS late, but I wouldn't worry, or bother about separating them from their mother at times; they'll wean themselves sooner or later. Also I wouldn't worry about giving them baby rice etc; what usually kick-starts kittens is meat, so kitten food's ideal. You could also try a small bowl of raw steak mince, just to see their reaction; I wouldn't mind betting at least one gets the taste for meat. The mince isn't balanced and complete like the kitten food, it'd just be a titbit but it's amazing how a little raw meat can arouse their instincts.

But as I've said, they'll come to it, although it's the law of sod, isn't it, with Mama on antibiotics, poor lass, hope she's better soon and that all goes well with the weaning and rehoming, all the best :)
Gothgranny
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Gothgranny »

A week later, one kitten's eating solids, one's sort of interested but only in 1 type, the other two are still terrified of food! Tried the mince, no interest at all. I was told by the people I foster for to force-feed them with sloppy mousse and a little spoon, which I've done but they're still not making the connection with the plate in front of them. I hate the force-feeding and am tempted to just let them eat when they're good and ready. I've never met an adult cat who wasn't weaned! But the people I foster for are in a bit of a rush as there is interest in the kittens... :cry:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Force feeding??? :o :shock:

No!

You are quite right to hate that, and VERY right to trust to your own instinct to let them do their own thing and go along at their own pace.

Pity the mince didn't kick-start them, awkward little gits, bless them! :)

What WILL happen I reckon is that Mama will get sick of them and boot them off the milk bar - then they'll HAVE to resort to that funny glop in the dish, and jolly well like it.

Please don't let yourself, and them, be rushed, hopefully there will be other people with experience of this along soon, but hope this helps for now and good luck with them...awkward little gits lol, give them a love from me :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Lilith, and I think that pushing them is only likely to cause mroe of an issue. Personally, I would go back to square one and just give them kitten food - it could be that the variety is confusing them?
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Hello Gothgrannie, ooh lucky you having foster Kitts. When I had this issue I made up kitten milk formula and started mixing kitten food with it. They'll start to lap up the food. Make sure mummy cat has an escape from the kittens eg a window ledge or if that isn't possible keep separating. I'm surprised she's not pushing them away herself by now and taking them to eat. If possible start to separate them completely gradually and then her milk will start to dry up.