Hello and Sneezy cat help

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Phantom T Cat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Hello and Sneezy cat help

Post by Phantom T Cat »

Hi, I have posted before under a different (and forgotten) user name.
I would really like some advice; the resident menace has been sneezing for a week: big wet rippers. He is more clingy and sleepy than usual, but also eating more than usual. Vet trip 2 days ago : she was stumped and gave him a steroid shot. Temperature normal. No discarge (apart from snotty sneezes). He is yawning alot too. Could this be a cat cold or something similar? Never seen such sneezing in 6 years.
Sorry to barge on here (again) with an info dump and questions, but I remembered the good sense I've received previously.
PS, for admins: had great trouble registering/logging in with Chrome browser on android mobile. Opera was a little easier but the charity code doesn't display on either browser on the register page, not a complaint, just a contribution for debugging purposes.
Jane

Re: Hello and Sneezy cat help

Post by Jane »

Hi Phantom T Cat, thanks for mentioning the browser issues, will check it out.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello - again?!

Resident menace - I like that. :lol: Did you tell the vet ALL the symptoms and did she do a blood test? Is there anything new in the house - carpets, soft furniture, duvets etc? Could be an allergy, especially if he is OK otherwise.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

My first thought was allergy as well, if the only symptom is sneezing.

As Bobbys Girl said try and think if there is anything new in the house or in the garden if he has access to outside. Not only large items, but small ones as well, surface cleaners, polish, air fresheners, even washing powder (or such). It could also be something as simple as hayfever which will clear up on its own as the pollen levels and types change.

Yawning, assuming he isn't lethargic or overly tired, can be a sign of trying to open the airways and get more oxygen in. (I do it myself if my asthma is playing up a bit). If he has a bit of catarrh as well as the sneezing this could be making his throat feel clogged up.

Hopefully it isn't anything serious and either a simple cause can be found or it clears up by itself.
Phantom T Cat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Phantom T Cat »

Thanks for replies: Penny may have dropped, we started using fabric softener! He's eating, going out, playing...Going to wash everything twice (sans Comfort) and see what happens. This is how the myth of smelly cat people is perpetuated!
I will let you know the outcome, thanks again to the CC community.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

In an effort to reduce such chemicals, I have just tried baking soda, with a few drops of lavender essential oil, in a wash. Clothes seem soft and just a faint wiff of scent. Still working on it - I'll let you know if it works on jeans (they usually dry like cardboard). It should be OK as long as I don't try it with Catmint! :shock: :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

bobbys girl wrote:In an effort to reduce such chemicals, I have just tried baking soda, with a few drops of lavender essential oil, in a wash. Clothes seem soft and just a faint wiff of scent. Still working on it - I'll let you know if it works on jeans (they usually dry like cardboard). It should be OK as long as I don't try it with Catmint! :shock: :lol:
:o :lol: I love it! The cat magnet of the six counties (though you sound to be that already lol) the human alternative to Feliway! :lol:

Hey you know you might be on to something there - catnip blankets, beds for fratchety or nervous cats, get them all on a herbal high, man! :D

Hey Phantom T Cat, hope you've got to the bottom of the problem now, good luck with him :)
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

This may sound odd, but does your 'resident menace' :D eat grass?
I have known it that sometimes, a blade of grass can get stuck in the cats throat and also irritate the nose causing cat to sneeze a lot.
I have hears of vets finding the grass high up in nostril and pulling it out.

Just a thought but might be worth having a look.

Grace x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Lilith - one of my sister's cats got stoned on catmint, just lay there with his legs in the air and a silly grin on his face. She thought he was dead, :? :roll: :lol:

I wonder if they get a hangover?
Phantom T Cat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Phantom T Cat »

Just a little update: sneezing has definitely reduced. Could be a coincidence, but the potentially offending fabric conditioner is banned as a precaution.
Thanks for all the help peeps.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Could be a coincidence, but I really hope that it was such a nice simple solution to the problem.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I hope the problem’s solved, definitely check all smelly stuff. I used to use the fragranced candles and one of mine suffered with nasal problems. It wasn’t the cause of that but I don’t think the candles helped. One day I must have twigged this and stopped using them and wouldn’t use them any more.