Dave vet update.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Dave vet update.

Post by Grace56 »

Just back from vets and here is update.
The vet, a lovely lady called Francesca, thinks it is an ulcer of some kind on his nose. She examined it thoroughly and there's no swelling, his nostrils and mouth are clear and heart and lungs ok.

She did get a second opinion from a colleague and he seemed to agree. So, I have some Chlorhexidine Vetasept to bathe it twice a day and I have to take him back next week. They also took a slide smear. Hopefully, the meds will help. If not, he'll have to have a biopsy. 'gulp'.

He yowled all the way to and from the practice. :? I had less trouble with him on the train when I brought him home from Ipswich. :?

And I have flea treatment for him.

So, fingers crossed that the antibacterial works.

Thanks for all your support. It was a pretty stressful morning but Dave has gone for a rest.

Grace xxx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Dave vet update.

Post by Lilith »

And I hope you're managing to chill after all this stress too. :)

Also hope that the Vetasept does the trick and that he doesn't have to have a biopsy - you won't stop worrying until you see some improvement I know.

Wishing Dave a speedy recovery, give him a love from me x
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

We do tend to worry and assume the worst. So glad to read that it looks like it is something fairly 'simple'.

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that by the time you have to go back next week it has all cleared up and no biopsy is needed.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed it is just an ulcer
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Never mind 'Dave's gone for a rest', after the stress he put you through, it's you that needs a rest! :D

Glad to hear what your vet thinks it is. Hope the meds make a difference and the biopsy is not needed.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That does sound reassuring, and it's good that it seems to be confned to a surface area only. All paws here crossed that the medication does the trick. :)
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Thanks everyone. Poor boy made a right state of his nose whilst in his carrier. He knocked the top off and it bled everywhere. :o

Anyway, bathing his nose is a joy....not! He hates it but I tell him it's for his own good. :D

Now I've got to put the flea drops on him as well. Ah! the joys of fur baby parenthood. :roll:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Poor Dave, some cats just always manage to make things worse for themselves - I've had several of them! Give him a fuss from me (when he's talking to you again)! :D
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Glad it's not anything more serious after all.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Poor Dave. Glad it is not as bad as feared.
Oddcat
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Oddcat »

You've both had a bit of a stressful day! Hopefully you can enjoy a nice quiet weekend to recover.

Fingers crossed the meds do the trick. Give Dave a big fuss from me :)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

That's such a relief & good to see a second opinion too! Vivian
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Well, the vet thinks the lesion is looking better and 'flatter' so that's good.
I now have to put some mild steroid drops on his nose once a day as well as bathing it once a day. Oh, joy of joys!!! :shock:

I have to do that for a week and if not much improvement, he may have to have a needle biopsy to check and see if it's a tumour. I hope to God it isn't. Please send good vibes for my boy.

Anyway, he created all the way to and from the vets again and has now gone out on one of his sorties....bless him. Poor baby. :( What with antiseptic wash, flea drops and now more drops, it's no wonder he's eying me with deep suspicion. :?

Hope all your fur babes are well.

Grace and meow from Dave. xx
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

OHWS wrote:Any comment from the vet about the Advocate?
I mentioned his reaction, but all she did was ask me when I'd administered it. I told her Wednesday and that was it really.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Good vibes and good luck being wished Dave's way :)

Glad there's an improvement too and paws crossed no biopsy needed. Oh his last name is now Pavarotti? Don't they show you up?

In the days when I bred Siamese, although a FeLV test had to be made before the stud visit (FIV hadn't been heard of at that time) few vets had the facilities, which meant I had to take my first queen, Jacinth, from Wakefield via Dewsbury to Bradford and beyond by bus. Well, it was worse than travelling with six crying babies. We were in the front seat; at the back sat a row of very solemn looking Muslim men in what I call the 'prayer clothes' that the guys round here attend the nearby Mosque in.

The bus was packed and everyone had to endure Jacinth's screams for what felt like hours, when we stopped at Dewsbury the men on the back seat all got up and filed out, in great relief I can imagine. Then the last of them paused, looked at me and at Jassy's carrier, beamed all over his face and patted the carrier as if to say, 'there there!' What a sweet guy! :D

Dave, behave, don't rave! :lol:

With very very good wishes for the lad's full recovery without biopsy and not too much trouble with all the drops and bathing, and again, best of vibes from us lot! :)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Sending Dave good vibes and hoping his nose continues to improve. You have my sympathy with having a yowling Dave all the way to the Vets and back. Tilly is much the same, she goes "AROOOH" all the way there (but not on the way back). Worst was when I had to take her to the hospital in Solihull - one and a half hours of it!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

All paws here crossed for Dave, let's hope it really is nothing to worry about and is starting to fade away. xx