Door Scratching!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Door Scratching!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

One of our kittens has gotten into an ADORABLE habit of scratching at the bedroom door, rabidly, from 5.30am. Every. Day. I'm exhausted.

HOW can we get him to stop!?!?!?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Door Scratching!

Post by Crewella »

The problem is that once they learn that it gets your attention, you're sunk!

The best advice, I'm afraid, is to ignore it until he learns that it doesn't get him anywhere ..... but that does mean quite a few more sleepless nights. The problem is that if you give in just once you undo about a weeks worth of ignoring him as you light a spark of hope again. You can also try tiring him out before bedtime in the hope that he won't wake so early, but i's a slim chance. Or can you bar his access to the hallway at night?
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

This is pretty much exactly what I said to my husband when I discovered that he was giving in, getting up and feeding them when he does it! I didn't realise until then that he was rewarding the behaviour.

Sadly, no way to keep him off the landing. We don't have baby gates or anything like that and I can't think of another way to block the access, so you're right, we'll just have to lump it until he learns to stop!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Reminded me of this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koF6LmBk-Ww

Cats are supposed to hate the feeling of sticky tape, so I guess you might try some double-sided tape on the area where he scratches to see if it puts him off, but a persistent cat will just start on the bit next to the tape ..... until you've taped up the whole landing! :roll:

Best of luck, training both of them! ;)
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Lallum »

I had this problem for years.

What I noticed is that it got better when the cats came back from cattery. It finally ended when I went on holiday leaving the cats with my two adult kids. They ignored them and now I don't get woken any more. I also would say the scratching was less in winter when it was darker longer. Could you darken the house by closing landing curtains or other room doors? A blind in the bathroom? Curtains behind the front door?

I was desperate as I was not getting a decent nights sleep and I was working at the time. It's not fun!
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Hahaha, thanks everyone!

Last night would have made you laugh. I had been out so went straight to bed when I got home at midnight, but let the cats in while I readied myself. By the time I'd taken off my make up, etc I had two kittens on the bed and a cat on the floor next to the bed! My husband kicked them out and Dylan spent the next FORTY MINUTES scratching at the door, throwing himself bodily against it and doing that lovely purring/chirping thing. It's my own fault - I'd taken a nap earlier in the day, hadn't shut the door properly and he'd managed to beat his way into the room, then snuggled up against me and gone to sleep.

They're devils but God I love them!!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I seem to end up with cats that opt for a sneak attack to get into the bedroom rather than a frontal assault. I have always insisted that although they have access during the day, when we go to bed they are shut out of the bedroom. I know what cats are like, a double bed wasn't big enough for 4 (2 humans 2 cats). I laid the law down right at the start and have managed to stick to it.

Unfortunately i am one of those that have to visit the bathroom in the night, my eyesight is bad with my contact lenses in, and abysmal without them. I open the door carefully, use a torch to try and spot any lurking shapes, reach down to catch any lurking shapes, and then open it wide enough for me to edge out. That is normally when I feel the brush of fur against my leg for a millisecond, as hidden cat goes from stationary to full tilt. They normally dive under the bed to start with and I am left trying to entice them out without waking the OH. I once got woken up at 5.00 by Blue, the Ragdoll, scratching at the bedroom door, from the inside, I had never even noticed him sneak in.
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Hahaha! Sneaky little so and so!!

I think this is why nature has made them so adorable. None of us would put up with them otherwise! :lol:
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lallum »

I like sharing my bed with them but they would prefer I sleep on the floor. I'm restless, move around and, sometimes, won't go to sleep until late having read books and papers whilst not respecting their sleeping habits. I then refuse to feed them on demand and ask them to leave the bedroom insisting they sleep in their beds or on the Aga until breakfast is served at 7am.

I am no more than the giant ape who serves them.
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Hahaha!

You'd love the FB group I'm in...I'm studying for a degree through the Open University and someone started a group called 'OU Cats and Their Slaves'. About sums it up!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Hilarious stories everyone! We're blessed with two cats who wouldn't sleep with us even if we shut them in the room WITH us! But they do INSIST that the doors are left open. Even to empty rooms. A closed door will result in a totally shredded carpet down to the floor boards. So whenever we have guests we have to get them to leave the door open a cat's width. They don't disturb them, or even go in at all, it's just The Law that doors are not closed.

But having had this problem with previous cats, I'd suggest double sided tape on the door. It's certainly worked with shredded furniture in the past, even to the point that when you take it off they still don't scratch.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thankfully all mine are well aware they won't get in the bedroom and leave us alone. I do, however, have more of a problem with the kitchen door - the kitchen being the source of all food and treats, neither of us can go out to make a cup of tea without a troupe of cats leaping into action and racing us to the door. Any left behind when it swings shut (which it does naturally as there isn't a straight line in this house) scratch and wail piteously until we let them in. By far the worst, and with the most pleading wail, is Basil, and Basil is a complete and utter wuss who gets scared by the noise of pretty much everything in the kitchen - the kettle, the microwave, the tap, whatever. As soon as he gets in he then wails even more piteously and scrabbles desperately at the door to get out again ..... sigh ..... :roll: