Cat attacked by dog

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lemonbella
Returning Cat Chatter

Cat attacked by dog

Post by lemonbella »

Hi I hope this is the best place to ask for some advice. My gorgeous, 17 year old cat S was attacked by two dogs, both off the lead, out of control and being walked by a young teenager. (My cat was walking from the front of my house to the back garden I'm in the UK). My cat is at the vets, remarkably with no external injuries, but a lot of bruising, swelling, stress and currently not opening his bladder voluntarily. (The vet has advised to give him a while to see if he recovers this ability as he has recovered so well from everything else). Mostly everyone is just keeping their fingers crossed.

Should I be reporting this attack? to whom? anyone else had a similar situation, was there anyway to reclaim cost from dog owners? He's insured (thank god) but the excess is quite hefty because of how much treatment he's needed.

Any advice, or just positive vibes would be appreciated.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat attacked by dog

Post by Grace56 »

Awww! Poor baby. That is a horrifying thing to go through for him.

If these dogs were on a main road and not on a lead as well as out of control, I would report it to the police if I were you. It's irresponsible to have dogs running amok on the street. They could injure a child or cause an accident as well as be killed themselves.

Was the owner apologetic and did he get the dogs off your boy?

I do hope he recovers from this dreadful ordeal. Please let us know how he is.

Give him a gentle fuss from me.

Grace xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Your insurance company might be a good place to start, as they will be paying out part of the vet costs, and will almost certainly have dealt with similar situations

And I would report the incident to the police - sadly an attack on a cat is unlikely to bother them, but it could be a child next, and that should be of concern to them
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I hope your old boy recovers. Being attacked by dogs is a terrifying ordeal for any cat but especially for an old one. I agree with Kay and Grace, you should report this to the police. This dog owner clearly cannot control their dogs and a repeat could have serious consequences.
Mind you, had those two dogs attacked my Tilly, they would have regretted their folly. Although she only retaliates when attacked, Tilly takes no prisoners when dogs are concerned! But then, she is only 6, not 17.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi lemonbella welcome and positive vibes definitely coming to you and S. That's disgusting! STRONGLY agree with previous posts!

By the way before I go any further I've had to describe a similar nasty case which some people might not want to read about - just a warning.

There are stupid people on my street who think 'oh look at me, aren't I cool, my dog always stays with me, don't need a lead.' Accident waiting to happen. One cat or squirrel running along on opposite pavement, one car coming too fast round corner at the crucial moment ... :evil:

However. If those dogs came on to your property you'd have a case, I'd think, especially as they weren't on the lead. Did you have witnesses? But sadly, the law being such an ass, you might still not get very far as cats don't get much of a deal where the law's concerned. You might be able to accuse the dogs' owner that they've 'damaged your property' ie the cat. Now if one of the dogs had bitten you, you could kick up a stink. A nip on the wrist of a human is so much more important than a badly injured and traumatised cat! And the owner facing a hefty vet bill.

I'm no legal expert but I do feel strongly about this. 30 years ago someone I knew had a cat who was caught and (graphic detail warning) penetrated sexually, badly injured internally and her pelvis broken. They had a few leads on who might have done it but the police attitude was 'it's only a cat'. Just didn't want to know. I don't know that things are so very different nowadays either.

BUT - even if you can't get anywhere legally, I would still advise you to kick up a stink. You could ring the local dog warden for a start. Stress that your cat might have been a running child that these out of control dogs chased and attacked. Keep a watch and note down if this kid (a young teenage boy can't possibly control two unruly dogs of any real size or strength) or the owner is walking the dogs off the lead regularly. If they're breeds that come under the 'dangerous dog' category that could help, maybe. The warden might be a good person to ask for legal advice. Or the CAB. I'd do everything I could to make trouble if I were you - and I'm not a vengeful person, but this sort of thing makes my blood boil.

All very best wishes for S's full recovery, poor chap and all the best of luck to you both x
lemonbella
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by lemonbella »

Hello all, Thanks for your responses. I will follow up with the police and my insurance company. I hadn't considered that of course the insurance company have a vested interest in pursuing it as well!

My neighbour witnessed the attack, got me (whilst yelling and trying to get the owner to get the dogs off) and by the time I was outside the dogs had run off again. The (adult) owners were apologetic at first (the teenage girl who was "walking" them had no idea what to do and just ran off to get her dad who took 10 minutes to arrive), but beyond that were not willing to take any actual responsibility. So far in conversations they have claimed that a) the cat should not have been outside and b) it didn't matter because he is old and c) that I should not have taken it to a vet.

Mostly I'm concerned about making sure they realise how serious it is, given that they don't seem to care.

Thanks all, and keep your fingers crossed.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Can't really add to all the advice you have been given, but I would like to add my best wishes for S's full recovery.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

[quote="lemonbella"]they have claimed that a) the cat should not have been outside and b) it didn't matter because he is old and c) that I should not have taken it to a vet.

WHAAAT??? :o :shock: :evil:

What a set of t, errm I mean tw...sorry... twerps!

That's plain disgusting!

So it's ok for their untrained and unrestrained dogs, in the charge of their daft teenage offspring, to go on to anyone's premises and cause mayhem and injury?

It's good that you've got the neighbour as witness - would they support you?

I hope you manage to raise hell about this!

Give S a love from me and all the very best to the pair of you!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi there, I am so sorry to read this and I do hope that your cat recovers well. We had this happen to our cat, who sadly didn’t survive, and without going into much detail, I didn’t know how she’d died, she had no marks (although we found her collar with blood on) until I witnessed the same happen to one of the ferals we care for, in my own garden, and I knew it was the same as feral cat was in the exact same position as ours. You can image how devistated I was. We didn’t know whose dog it was as it happened so quickly but it looked like one of the dogs in the allotments. When I saw the dogs running round a while after, I got in touch with the council who said the owners could be prosecuted if I knew who they were and could prove it was them but I couldn’t. They said they shouldn’t have dogs off a lead running round, and if I could catch the dogs they would take them to the pound and the owners would be contacted. We’ve since had to totally cat proof the garden for the dogs but the ferals can still get under our gates the dogs can’t the ferals go to a few of the houses round here so it’s always a bit of a worry.
Last edited by Janey on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

So sorry to hear about what happened and i hope S makes a full recovery.

The only thing I can add, and this goes a bit against the grain with my opinion of the charity is to report the dog owners to the RSPCA, not about the attack, but about the comments, particularly if a witness heard them. If they do not think it matters if an animal gets hurt just because it is old, and that an injured animal should not be taken to the vets then I would question just how well they are looking after their own dogs.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, cats are still considered 'free spirits' by law, while that means there is far less comeback if your cat gets up to anything while out, it also means they don't have the same protection under law that dogs have. However an uncontrolled dog, could do a lot of harm to any child that got in its way, and in that case prevention is far better than cure, so I agree with everyone else, the incident needs reporting.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh I'm so sorry, that's truly awful. Both the event and the reaction of the owners, I'd be absolutely fuming. I don't have anything useful to add to the good advice given either, but I do hope your poor cat recovers.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I would be fuming at that reaction as well. However, it is not true that cats can be injured with impunity. Just been looking it up in one of my cat care books. If I have read it right, you can claim damages in civil law from the dogs owner.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Lemonbella about to go for a bus to work. Fusses to S & I'd be beside myself as you are! Agree with all comments. Maybe the insurance co can go the other party for costs - that'd show them what it means to be responsible pet owners! I get so cross when people flick any responsibility - all rights but no responsibility. Keep us posted on S. Vivian
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Sadly it's insurance companies that are partly responsible for the attitude and lack of responsibility. I remember being instructed by my insurance company never to admit fault if I was involved in a car accident, no matter what the circumstances. Stuff the morality, it's just not good business! :?
lemonbella
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Cat attacked by dog: UPDATE

Post by lemonbella »

Hi all, thanks again for all your positive vibes. They worked! My cat is home and pretty much back to his usual self. I'm amazed and obviously very happy, (he started purring as I put the key in the front door and hasn't stopped since).

I spoke to the police, and was quite impressed by their response - they took a full statement and will be following up with the owners (I have their phone number, but nothing else) . It has been recorded as a criminal offence "dog dangerously out of control" (it can't be recorded as a dog *attack* because that only applies to humans). However, at least that means it is on record and the owners will be reminded of how much of a problem it is.

Re: financial compensation, the police advised that that's through the small claims court, so will be pursuing that, (depending on the outcome of the police visit). My insurance company is also quite keen to follow through - so the crime report will be helpful. I suspect that their insurance company may be behind their change of tone - although there is a difference between 'not admitting fault' and suggesting that the cat shouldn't have been taken to the vet!

Thanks everyone,
lemonbella
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by lemonbella »

and meant to say, Janey - so sorry your cat wasn't as lucky as mine.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Oh I'm so glad your little lad is recovering well, Lemonbella. And I'm pleased that the police have taken it seriously.

I hope the dogs' owners will act more responsibly now where their dogs are concerned and keep them on a lead.

Give your boy a gentle fuss from me and a meow from my Dave. :)

Grace
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

That's excellent news, lemonbella :)

So glad the cat's much better, and the response from the police sounds great - would that they were all like that. All very bet wishes for a positive outcome and that the idiot dog owners get thoroughly scared into keeping the damn things under control in future; hopefully the threat to their wallet ought to do it :D

I too am sorry to hear about your girl, Janey; that's heartbreaking.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Lemonbella good on you for pursuing & hope it goes well - the 4 of us were relieved that your boys home.. Janey hugs from me & the 3 Musketeers. Oh on a lighter note Harper's climbing skills resulted in a lovely Chinese ornamental vase of my mum's not bouncing on ceramic tiles. And she knew she was in strife - a hyperactive child who suffers add - gets bored quickly & looks for the next thing. I wasn't happy Jan! :? :? Vivian
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

So glad that your cat is recovering well lemonbella, give him a cuddle from me please. It’s good that you’re finally sorting something out too, you do right to take it further. I was just re-reading your posts and it makes me so angry when they say stuff like it doesn’t matter because he is old, and that you should not have taken it to a vet. One of the chaps in the allotments similar to us, it’s amazing how some people think. Re my cat thank you for your kind thoughts, and to Lilith and Mayday21 too. My cat was old (she is the one in my avatar) and our feral was about 10 too, I felt so bad, it broke my heart. It’s over 3 years now and still struggle to look at photos of both of them.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Janey they always hold special places in our hearts & memories. I miss Mayday sooo much as well as missing Crystal & Elsa albeit the latter weren't kittens when they came to me & poor Elsa succumbed to ckf from hyperthrodism despite radio iodine treatment; probably gave her 12 more months. I lost Mayday last Nov & not quite 3 months, Elsa was pts in Feb as she'd collapsed in the legs. Take care (((hugs))). Vivian
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Lemonbella, I'm so glad S is recovering, and I'm impressed by the police's attitude. I was going to suggest going to your local paper - they tend to love 'human interest' stories like this - but it looks like it may not be necessary. I would just say to others who may have to face or have faced such a situation that it can be helpful to involve your local press. Stress your concern that this may happen to others and they've got a story. See how your community reacts to the publicity - I bet it would be positive.
Anyway, all good wishes to you and S.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Mayday21 wrote:Hi Janey they always hold special places in our hearts & memories. I miss Mayday sooo much as well as missing Crystal & Elsa albeit the latter weren't kittens when they came to me & poor Elsa succumbed to ckf from hyperthrodism despite radio iodine treatment; probably gave her 12 more months. I lost Mayday last Nov & not quite 3 months, Elsa was pts in Feb as she'd collapsed in the legs. Take care (((hugs))). Vivian
So sorry for all your recent losses (hugs). We usually only adopt older cats, which Sooty was, we had her 2 years. So we’ve been through our share, and didn’t want another cat for a while after this last tragic loss. Then Tasha turned up, she’s just under 7 - she’s like a young Sooty, strange really. We tried rehoming her, but after two years here lol we think it was meant to be, strange but I almost feel it’s Sooty come back.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Janey when I told a work colleague I'd acquired two cats from Little Paws & a stray kitten she commented "In homing these three, you've probably saved three precious lives." And I think they're pretty chuffed to be with me. :lol: :lol: Vivian