Would love a kitten but.....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Would love a kitten but.....

Post by Grace56 »

...I don't know how Dave would take to one.
When he was living in my niece's back garden, he bullied her cats and, after the death of one of niece's cats (who we believe kept Dave at bay) he really tried to dominate the other two.

And when she came down one morning and Banshee and Louie were outside all forlorn and Dave was inside keeping them out, Dave had to go. So I adopted him.

So my guess is that he is a 'one cat in house only ' cat and he would either run away or make a kittens life a misery if I got another one.

I really would like another but I don't want to upset Dave (I do tend to over compensate for him being an ex stray :oops: )

What would you do? Risk getting a kitten or leave things as they are? It would have to be a kitten because he'd go berserk if it was an older cat.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Would love a kitten but.....

Post by alanc »

Its a difficult one. I think in your place I would not get another kitten. I have also given a lot of thought to getting a companion to Tilly since Badger died, but I think she prefers being an only cat (gets much more attention than she did). I am sure others will be along shortly to say you should get another!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Well, knowing Dave's track record, I would have to agree with alanc. As tempting as it is, I think it would be best for all concerned if he stayed an only cat.

However, having said that, I really believe if it is right a cat will turn up of it's own accord and Dave will take to it. Kismet! :D

BTW I was VERY tempted to bring home a new cat today :? I was parked in front of the hotel in town and decided instead of backing out into an unusually busy road, I would drive around the back of the hotel and say 'hello' to the cats as well.TC and Blossom were there and a new kitty. The tiniest, daintiest little striped grey girly, Soooo sweet. Be strong Sue, be strong. :lol:
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Sue you too can enjoy the acts of a new kitten :lol: :lol: Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

bobbys girl wrote:Be strong Sue, be strong. :lol:
Famous last words ... :lol:

Hi, Grace, only you can know your own cat, so I've got my paws folded under me, sitting on the fence on this one, but hope that, if it's meant to be, a new kitten will happen :)
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

Difficult one!

I'm going to say the hard thing here and tell you I don't know if getting a kitten is a good idea. I understand the want of one but honestly, my opinion here is based on experience.

We introduced a kitten around 4 years ago to a cat who sounds similar in temperament to your own. He was a little bit of a bully to neighbouring cats...wildlife...people who happened to stroke him..! He was very much an alpha cat, but he loved us. He would curl up on our laps most nights and yowl to be let into the bedroom if we shut him out. If he was allowed in the bedroom, he'd sprawl himself between us and go to sleep, which was hilarious and cute. But as soon as we introduced the kitten he changed completely. For the remaining 4 years of his life (bar his final months) he was distant, more aggressive, and he almost never curled up on our laps any more. He spent all his time outside in the day and at night he'd lie down in an upstairs room or on the landing to escape the kitten. I still feel guilty for how badly he reacted.

Obviously your cat might not react this way. We could probably have done more to make the introduction easier and Bubbles was a pretty temperamental cat before we even adopted him. But it'll give you an idea of what outcome you could be looking at if your cat doesn't accept the kitten.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Thank you for your wise advice everyone. I think, after reading your posts and giving it some thunk, I'll give up the idea of a kitten.

Because Dave was a stray and because he settled very well with me, I don't want him to feel ousted in any way. As you say, LittlePen, Dave is an Alpha male in temperament and he's a scrapper as well. And by God he can fight! :evil: But he is so loving with me and I'd hate to jeopardize that. But he isn't too keen on me atm because I keep putting nasty smelling stuff on his nose. :? Poor fella.

Thanks again, folks. Fusses to your little 'uns and meow from Dave. :) xxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I think that is probably a wise decision. As Sue says, maybe one day the right cat will just turn up and things work out and it will be fate .... but with Dave being the sort of cat that he is you might regret rocking the boat by actually making things happen yourself. Fusses to the king in his castle! ;)