Advocate and bad reaction

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Advocate and bad reaction

Post by Grace56 »

I used Advocate on Dave on Wednesday after buying from the vet. On Wednesday evening, the poor little soul didn't know what to do with himself. Scratching, twitching, licking and very restless. I was combing fleas off him at 3am. :o
And for the last two or three days he has been very lethargic and sleeping all day. Not coming down for his breakfast, very brief sorties outside and not much appetite.

I did put it down to the sudden change in the weather. From baking hot to rain and much cooler. But reading about this on line, I see that many cats and dogs have a similar adverse reaction to this treatment. His fleas have gone, but if that's how he is going to react I will never use it again. Anyway, he seems much better today. He's had his breakfast and gone out.

Has anyone else's cat had this happen after Advocate treatment? If so, what do you use which is kinder to the cat and doesn't make him/her feel poorly?

Thanks folks,

Grace
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Advocate and bad reaction

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I've just ordered some Capstar to treat my two untouchable strays and it says in the info that cats can scratch much harder when the fleas start dying, because they are leaping around more than usual, so it sounds as if this is what happened with the Advocate

anything kinder to him might well be kinder to the fleas too, so it's a tricky one for the future
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Thank you folks. Yes, I thought that it might be the fleas last stand( :lol:) making Dave uncomfortable. But the lethargy was a bit worrying.
I shall speak to the vet' tomorrow when he goes for his nose check. :)

Cheers!

Grace xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I have had the odd cat look a bit 'itchier' than usual after a flea treatment, which like you I've put down to a 'last stand', but I've not had a cat be lethargic after one. Glad he's feeling better. xx
william712
New Cat Chatter

Post by william712 »

Anything kinder to him likely could be kinder to the bugs as well, so it's a dobious for the future. Advocate is a medicine used on cats, ferrets and dogs suffering from, as a major aspect of treatment techniques for flea allergy dermatitis.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi while I’ve not experienced adverse effects of flea treatment & I’ve not used Advocate, I know others who’ve used it & they’ve experienced reactions including loss of fur where treatment was put on. Hope Dave’s feeling a lot better. Flea infestations are horrendous.