Its true ... Blackie has a girlfriend!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Its true ... Blackie has a girlfriend!

Post by Jan »

Contrary to what I first thought about a young tabby cat coming into our garden and upsetting Blackie, we've now found out from the neighbour next door but one that Blackie often comes into their garden and happily sits near (or even next to) their female cat, Poppy.

He told us he hadn't seen Blackie for a little while and a couple of days later, we saw Poppy in our garden looking for Blackie. I've just seen her in the garden again looking at Blackie who dutifully followed her to the hole in the garden fence.

Even me squirting water at her a couple of months back hasn't deterred her. I feel bad about that now.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Its true ... Blackie has a girlfriend!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh sweet! :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Awwwwwwww! :D
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

That's so sweet when they make a little friend. Funny how some cats really prefer to be on their own, but despite that they'll pick one particular cat to buddy up with. :-)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh bless her, she came back for him even after you saw her off like a protective parent with a shotgun!! :lol:

One thing I miss living out here away from people is the random cats popping in. It's lovely when they find a friend. :)
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Little Poppy is only about a year old ... so my old rascal of 13+half is cradle snatching :lol:

Can't swear to this and it may just be a coincidence but since he's become more friendly with Poppy, the belly licking seems to have reduced a bit. I've stopped putting the steroid spray on it - doesn't seem to have done any good and all I get when I pick him up so OH can spray his belly is Blackie's 'death stare'.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Just checking - is Poppy the young tabby that you said was upsetting Blackie?

Wondering when she was spayed and if that may have made a difference to him, ie not being upset about her anymore because of no smells? Or her attracting other male cats and it was them upsetting Blackie?

But glad he's made a friend in Poppy and fingers crossed it does help him with his fur licking x
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Yes meriad - the very same. Neighbour told us that they let Poppy outdoors when she was 6 months old, by which time I assume she was spayed. I suspect if Blackie's stress problem is other-cat related, it is down to males roaming around. Blackie doesn't and as far as I know never has got on with other males - particularly if they are b/w (bad experience in the past with 2 different b/w's). Unfortunately Poppy has another suitor and he is b/w and that may explain why Blackie hasn't visited her down the cul-de-sac for a while.

I now have to 'mend fences' with Poppy somehow so that she's not so afraid of me and won't run off whenever she sees me looking through the window. She has good taste ... in spite of his diffident/difficult character, Blackie is a handsome little fellow - that is, when he's not giving us the 'death stare'.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Funny how black cats have 'that' death stare. Willow frightens the life out of me sometimes. Also funny how they make friends with some cats and mortal enemies of others.

Glad he has a friend.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yep, my all-black Merrick has the 'death stare' perfected too! :D

It's an old story, but talking of feline friends I stumbled across this the other day and it made me smile :)

http://www.littlethings.com/dusja-kitte ... ssia-lynx/
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Helen - that is SO sweet. They get on better than most 'house' cats!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

So happy to read about Blackie & Polly :D must be so cute.