This cat is too naughty!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

This cat is too naughty!

Post by Lallum »

I have three cats. Midnight and Magic are 9 years old. They are brother and sister from the same litter. Midnight will eat any food he can find if it's left on work surfaces. Magic looks on disapprovingly but hoping for any crumbs. Neither of them have ever been very naughty or destructive.

In January I adopted Lola. She is a ginger terrible. I have never known such a naughty cat. Within weeks of her arrival, she ate the loops of two pairs of Ugg boots. She has destroyed my ottoman by scratching it when I'm not around and she is at the bottom of any trouble between the other two cats. Midnight loves her but Magic hates her and they fight. She has become top cat.

It's difficult to eat a meal without Lola forcing her head onto the plate. She just muscles in? I end up eating from a plate up in the air above her head. Last week I found cat food sachets and stale bread had been taken out of the kitchen bin and sprinkled around the kitchen. The bin lid was open. The bin is about 3 feet high with a push button mechanism which isn't too difficult so that I can hold plates and pen it with my elbow. Yesterday I found Lola in the bin with just her head peeking out. I rescued her. She seemed to be saying ' just walking past when I fell in the bin. Don't leave it here again'. My son says he also rescued her yesterday. This morning I came down to find a Marks and Spencer white chocolate cookie in the middle of the kitchen floor. It had been nibbled extensively. I can only think she now knows how to open wall cabinets in the kitchen. I found the rest of the biscuits still in tact, in the packet, on the work surface under the cabinet. They had not been left out and the packet was in a position none of us would have left them in.

I'm thinking I need to child proof the kitchen to stop this teenager doing herself harm. She sitting next to me now looking angelic! She's very interested in the fireplace and I suspect, hearing birds on the chimney pot, she could yet trying crawling up there.

Is it just Lola? I've had cats for years but none of them so cheeky and naughty. Trying to out think her is difficult and she can be very sweet but all the time she seems to be plotting her next escapade.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: This cat is too naughty!

Post by Lilith »

Aww bless her! :lol:

I too have a ginger ninja - or, when food's about, a ginger whinger...the dreaded Molly.

Your Lola sounds exactly the same...is there a breed of menacing mutant gingers bent on taking over the planet? Or the larders of the planet? I must say, Molly's never yet bin in the bin! :o :lol:
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Was she found as a stray? She has a really well-developed foraging instinct! What a handful!
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lallum »

I adopted her in January. My daughters friend was moving and couldnt take Lola with her.

Lola was bought, as a kitten, from a pet shop in Sunderland so I don't think she has ever had to look after herself. Abby gave us a copy of a film clip of Lola attacking (and I mean attacking) a piece of orange skin. It's hilarious. She also told us that Lola was a devil cat who was nothing but trouble. I never accept this assessment of animals so I've loved her and played with her. She's a real character but she's always getting into trouble or doing things I don't expect. She loves sleeping on the Aga and spends her evenings sitting on my lap.

She is my bundle of fluff and trouble.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Its not just the ginger ones that have the trouble maker gene, my tuxie has it as well, and the worst thing is you can see he knows he has been caught doing something he shouldn't but just doesn't care.

When we got him he would also try and steal food off our plates, and yes we ended up trying to eat while holding a plate above head height. At the time we still had the cat basket out as they had to go for their vaccinations and it was easier to leave it out than put it away for a couple of weeks and then get it out again, so we ended up putting him in it if he got too troublesome, fortunately it was a top loader and we could just drop him in it and shut the lid.

One of the ones I can't seem to break him of though is trying to pinch the ham from the sandwiches when I am making the lunches in a morning. He'll rear up beside me, then when he thinks he can get away with it, there will be a paw sneak over the top of the worksurface aimed at the sandwich. I even learnt to stand sideways at the sink to wash my hands so I didn't have to turn my back on him. No food is left on the side unattended and plates are placed upside down in the washing up bowl. We still have gone into the kitchen and found him with his head in the bowl trying to get at the underside of the plates.

Fortunately our bin is one that you have to lift the lid on, and he hasn't worked it out yet.

The wooden furniture has attracted his attention, yet, but the stair and landing carpet are fair game. He knows he should use his scratching board and will stop when we yell his name, only to continue a few minutes later when he thinks our backs are turned.

Some cats just try it on and see what they can get away with. Unfortunately they also now they have only to turn the big eyes at you and start purring and they could get away with murder.

I should also mention that he is named Saturn, you can guess what he tends to get called instead.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol! Bad lad! No! :o I can't imagine what you call him ... :lol:

When I asked Molly's previous owner what her name was, she replied, well...all sorts of things. I said I wasn't surprised. We agreed we'd never met up, either of us, with a cat like her. When she was younger she was totally manic too - she used to kick-box the walls and you know that cartoon, Road-Runner, where his legs are a blur before he takes off? She did the same, I swear it.

I did have another very naughty cat, a super-tortie, named Claudia (which should have been spelled 'Clawed-Ya!) but known as the Leopard. But as a kitten she also got the nickname of 'Cookie'.

This was short for 'Cooking Fat' ...think about it :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I've had to Daz-proof the kitchen as he has ...... erm ..... 'well developed foraging skills' as well. OH once caught him hauling an entire chicken carcass out of the stock pot on the back of the hob! Pugwash the ex-stray was naughty too - when he first came, if we were trying to eat our tea on our laps and he wasn't able to sneak a paw up he would try to launch himself onto your plate from the back of the sofa! :D
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

How about we form the 'Mad Catters Club'? I've been reading your posts to the 3 Musketeer in between watching Harper's 'recation'. :lol: :lol: Vivian
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

OMG can you imagine a 'Mad Catter's Tea Party'!! :o :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Crewella wrote:OMG can you imagine a 'Mad Catter's Tea Party'!! :o :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Count us in but...errrm...can I bring some beer? :D
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Lilith of course and I'll have a vino. Harper put her paw in my glass the other night. You should have seen her reaction :shock: last night when she saw the glass on the bench she walked up to it & backed away. :lol: Vivian
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Make mine a hot chocolate made with real cream. you should see Saturn dance when there is a possibility of a cream spoon to lick. He loses all self consciousness and street cred.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Beer, wine, hot chocolate, coffee (for me) ...... all sound like they'd make a great party to me! :D

Just don't tell the cats there's a dormouse in the teapot! :shock: :D
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lallum »

You wouldn't think she was so naughty.

Today she caught a frog. It's now on the loose in the house. Lola checked the bin but it want there.
Attachments
image.jpg
(226.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Just a warning on the frog catching, frogs secrete a mild toxin from the skin. Its not harmful to cats but it can make them seem slightly trippy. We had one (only had her for a few months) who regularly caught frogs, she averaged about 3 a day. Rarely did she kill them, but would give them a good licking, I think she was almost addicted to it a bit like to a drug.
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lallum »

That explains a lot!

Magic kills anything but never touched the frogs. She seemed unsettled by the jumping.

So Lola the teenager is taking drugs? Explains why she sits in the kitchen bin. Explains why she hangs out down the pond. Explains why she's so stroppy.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol! I always used to say to Molly, what ARE you on? Can I have some? Then I found out by chance that 'Molly' is street slang for Ecstasy - something to do with molecules ...

Lola's gorgeous, very similar to my Emily, more white on her than Em, what a sweet little face - no you'd never think she was such a little madam from that photo.

I hope you've found the frog by now. I didn't know that about frogs, Ruth, I've seen toads exude that nasty tarry stuff from their backs to force a predator to drop them. Perhaps that accounts for the wacky behaviour of many of my cats; when I had a pond it was murder, rescuing frogs from cats; they'd bring them indoors too, poor creatures. Once I came on a circle of cats watching something under the phone table. Something that screamed loudly. I shooed them off and investigated, expecting a large rat at the very least. It was a frog. About an inch long. I never even knew they COULD scream :o
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Lallum Lola's gorgeous. Frogs .. Thankfully I've never experienced this. Though my fur babies are house bound. They do watch the birds who frequent my grevilleas & bird bath. Sounds like the Mad Catters Club is going to be very eceletic :lol: :lol: Vivian
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Our Peaches used to love catching frogs, and I didn't know they screamed either until she came along! It's a blood-curdling scream too! :shock: