cats and dogs

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

cats and dogs

Post by booktigger »

Had someone ring up asking to rehome her cat, she's moved in with her partner and the cat and dog don't get on. Does anyone have tips for introducing them, as she doesn't really want to rehome?
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: cats and dogs

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

More information would certainly be helpful, but it might help to go back through the introduction process again, and it might also help to divide the home into territories for a while. In a house, introducing a stair gate so the cat can escape upstairs might be worth a shot if the cat is trying to get away from the dog, but not so easy the other way around!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Well, at the moment the cat and the dog are living separately, so I was hoping for some tips in case she can now do it the right way.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

So she's moving a cat into the dog's territory. I don't have much experience with dogs, but the cat wil need a 'safe' room in the new house, as I'm sure you'll know. I wish I could be of more help - the Blue Cross advice page is good:

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice ... s-and-cats
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Not the easiest I'd have thought but do-able if all parties are willing to try, ie boyfriend with dog is going to have to do his bit as well?

Safe room for the cat for a bit anyway, then cat could have access to the house whilst the dog is confined and the cat gets used to smells and sounds etc?and when the time comes the dog should be on a leash and kept under firm control whilst the cat walks around (if the cat is willing). But definitely give the cat space to get away? That would be the way I'd do it at least

good luck to them, I really do hope it works out; it may take time but still...
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

OHWS wrote:
booktigger wrote:Well, at the moment the cat and the dog are living separately, so I was hoping for some tips in case she can now do it the right way.
And I was hoping for some information on what happened when they were together, because then the advice and suggestions can be related to what actually happens between this particular cat and this particular dog - rather than attempting to cover every possible thing which can happen between any cat and any dog.
Unfortunately when I asked, all she said was she'd tried at both houses and the cat was so upset she stayed outside
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Unfortunately yes, she hands the keys back tomorrow!