Persistent Vomiting...Support & Advice needed!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Persistent Vomiting...Support & Advice needed!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Vic we're putting +Ve thoughts out for Daisy. Will look for your post later in the day or tomorrow re results. Prayers too! Vivian
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Hi Vic
Most definitely Pancreatitis can be treated and cured. Tilly was cured without surgery. Since she came home she has been as full of bounce and go as she ever was, with no recurrence. Afraid I don't have the Vet bill anymore (had to send it off to Petplan) so can't say what she was given at the Vets.
Hope Daisy gets better.
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Thanks alanc,

Pleased to hear Tilly made a full recovery and its good to know there is something they can do.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Vic, I take it no news yet re bloods? Everything still crossed here for Daisy, and do hope it's something treatable x
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi Lileth and All,
Sorry for not updating on Daisy sooner.

So, I got some of Daisy's blood results late yesterday. The vet said her blood showed very early stages of kidney disease, but urine was normal, so not too worrying. Her electrolytes, absorption levels and glucose were all fine. Thyroid fine. I think the vet said the blood results don't show any inflammation, which is perhaps worrying as if the pancreas was inflamed due to pancreatitis, I would have thought it would have showed. The pancreas results themselves are still not back - should be Monday. I asked the vet if it could still be pancreatitis and she said yes. With a little bit of positivity, I think I have blocked out the worst case scenario. It is probably a coping mechanism too, as I was struggling to function this week with all the worry.

In the meantime, Daisy has been sickness free due to the vet prescribing cerenia tablets. These have truly been a godsend to us. It is a little challenging getting her to take them in a tiny amount of food. I have been giving her regular v. small portions of wet and dry food. I'm touching wood as I type this that the sickness stays at bay.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Glad that Daisy is ok at the moment and keeping everything crossed for her. I’ve kept looking to see if you’ve posted so thanks for updating, hoping for good news soon. Cuddles to Daisy xx
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Vic like Janey I've been checking re updates on Daisy. Hoping you get the blood results on Monday. How's Daisy in herself now that the vomiting has subsided with the meds? (((Hugs))) Vivian & the 3 Musketeers.
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi Vivian,
She is fine in herself - the vomiting has been the only problem. She is eating, drinking and seems normal and happy. She was being her normal 'naughty tortie' self last night scratching and climbing in the blinds. She is currently asleep - buried under a duvet cover - she loves to wrap herself up in it - so well that I can never find her!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, so glad she's still being naughty, bless her. and that the Cerenia's helping - give you both a rest. Good luck with the rest of the results tomorrow - everything here still crossed for you both :)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Vic you have a lot of folks hooting got Daisy. Aaah a tortie... Mayday used to love snuggling up under the covers especially in the cooler months. Vivian
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

All paws here crossed for Daisy too. xx
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi All,
A little bit worried this morning as despite having the regular cerenia last night, she was a little sick this morning. Only a very small amount of clear liquid with a tiny bit of food....I am worried because controlling the symptoms is a big part of this and I'm worried the cerenia has now stopped being effective? I will ask the vet when she calls me with the results. I'm dreading coming home tonight just in case she has been sick again.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I've got all my fingers crossed that the bloods come back with good news, even if that is that she has pancreatitis, at least you will know what is causing the problem and that it can be treated.

What is it about torties, my old Patch always used to want to go under the covers on the bed. She even learnt to use her paw to pull it up enough to get her nose under and then wiggle her way down.
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi All,

Well I just heard from the vets and its not good news. The results for the pancreas are fine and the kidney disease is very minimal, so this all means that it must be being caused by a tumour.

The options are:

1. Put her to sleep.
2. Surgery to take a biopsy to give a confirmed diagnosis. Whilst they are in surgery, they will remove anything that they think they can. However, this is major surgery and she is overweight and possibly won't make it. If it is diagnosed as cancer, they can offer chemotherapy, but this is potentially dangerous to us and she would need regular blood tests, which the vet said would be a struggle as she is a bad patient. Plus I don't think my insurance would cover it.
3. Treat with steroids - These sometimes have a minimal effect on cancer (if it is malignant) and may help with the sickness.

I should mention that even though she has been on anti sickness meds, she was sick twice today. If we cannot get the sickness under control, we are left in a difficult position.

I would welcome your thoughts on the above.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I am so sorry to hear this, we had all hoped for the best but sometimes we have to accept the worst.

I have to say if the sickness can't be controlled then it is just upsetting you and by you being upset, it will be upsetting her. Chemo isn't nice, I haven't seen a cat on it but I have known a few people have it and it has been really unpleasant for them, I don't think I would want to put my cats through it.

The steroids might be worth a try, my aforementioned Patch was diagnosed with a tumor, the vet could feel it when he examined her, he suggested steroids, but as the diagnosis was sudden, I do wonder with hindsight if it was as much for us to come to terms with the situation rather than expecting them to benefit her. (Less than 24 hours on them and we had come to the inevitable decision).

It is very hard to advise some one on this, all I can say is look at the life she is leading and think if you would want to exist like that. You have obviously loved her for the few months you have had her and she has know that love. If you do decide her time has come, then as someone else has said 'better a day early than a day late', and I fully agree with this sentiment. Let her go having had as good a time as possible, and you with as many happy memories as possible. Dragging it out is not kind to either you or her.

Let us know what you decide, none of the regulars that I see here will condemn whatever you decide to do and we all understand what you are going through and how much it hurts.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh Vic, I'm so sorry. This is the worst, isn't it - and worse than the worst as you're faced with multiple decisions and none of them ultimately helpful.

(I've overlapped with Ruth but I'll let my post stand; agree with her.)

Again I'm being subjective, but if I were in Daisy's situation I'd go for palliative care. And I'd choose the same for any cat of mine. Not invasive surgery that would take a long time to recover from, or extreme meds but just enough to control present discomfort. Just my personal view. But if you can find nothing to give her relief from the vomiting, what then?

Steroids can pick them up for a little while; I've no experience of them being used with a vomiting cat though.

Again personally, I'd say that if she's still playing and enjoying life, you have a bit of a breathing space to come to terms with this, but of course if she's being a sick a lot, and not eating much, there's a very fine line between quality of life and the time when you'll have to decide to let her go.

I am so very very sorry to hear; hope somebody with more experience than me is along soon and can give you more concrete advice than this.

Hugs to you and fusses to Daisy, love, Lil x
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi Ruth,
Thank you so much for your message - I have found it a massive comfort.

It is massively hard to accept, even though if I am honest with myself, I expected this conclusion when we first had the problem. Sometimes you just don't want to listen to your gut instinct - we are all humans after all. I need to try and pull myself together because I am back to not really functioning - I have been a nervous wreck at work today - every time the phone rang, I jumped out of my seat and I am struggling to concentrate on much else, which will impact on my work and life.

My boyfriend wants to keep her on the sickness tablets only for a while, but I'm inclined to put her on the steroids, although I know this isn't a cure.

What are your thoughts on surgery? I know it is a personal decision and I don't think I could bear to put her through it and also run the risk of losing her during the op too. The fact that she is petrified of the vets also weighs heavily on me. However, it eats away at me, that perhaps they could remove it etc....its very hard to have faith in the decisions you make.
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Thanks Lileth, your message is also a great help and it gives me some reassurance that I am doing the right thing. I find it reassuring that you too would not opt for surgery - the reasons you mention are the same that I have thought of.

I just have to be strong - for her, for me and everyone around me.

I'm really not sure about the sickness - But you have to stay positive about the smallest things and on the whole she has been fine on the cerenia.

I am so glad I joined the forum - I have some amazing support around me, but the forum and everyone's kindness has made me feel less alone. I know people go through this every single day and I have seen my Mum go through this endless amounts of times having had her own cats and fostered, but it is harder when it is my decision. The vets seem so matter of fact - which I know they have to be - but I feel that there is little compassion when they mention putting her to sleep. I can't help but think this is because she is a difficult cat to deal with at the vets.

Sorry if this post is all over the place....it is a bit of a mind dump of everything in my head.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Mind dump away, putting things in writing often helps get things clearer in your head, if someone doesn't want to read what you put they can just skim over it, their loss in my mind.

i didn't mention surgery, but I wouldn't put my cats through that type of intensive treatment unless I really thought it could cure them. I will also admit that my cats aren't insured. It is something i have thought about and decided that if the treatment was something we couldn't afford from the savings then it is probably something I wouldn't want to put my cats through and would have a long, restrictive recovery period and frequent follow visits and treatments.

The first cat my family ever had developed a tumor, but the vet couldn't feel it, he just kept throwing up. In the end it was decided that the only way to really find out what was wrong was to do an exploratory operation, basically open him up and have a look. We got the call from the vets while he was still on the table, the cancer was at the stomach entrance and food could not pass into the stomach, liquids could just about get through. Needless to say the vets were instructed to not wake him up. It was best for him, but it meant I never really said good bye to him. This may seem silly to some people but it has coloured the way I think, things that happen when you are a child can effect you all of your life.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

I am sorry to hear that, Vic. Poor Daisy and poor you. I know how you must be feeling right now.

You say the test results for the pancreas were clear and the kidney disease is minimal. So, I'm sorry to ask, but is it definitely a tumour? Or wouldn't they know without exploratory surgery. I ask because maybe it 'is' something that can be cured or controlled. Maybe it's a process of elimination which, I know must be very stressful for you and Daisy but maybe a second opinion would be an idea.

Sorry if this is distressing for you, Vic, but I'm just thinking what I would do if it were my Dave.

Whatever the outcome, know that I and everyone else is thinking of you and Daisy.

((Hugs)) to you and a gentle fuss to your lovely 'Naughty Tortie'.

Grace and meow from Dave. xx
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Vic I agree with everyone's comments on Daisy. I'm so sorry you're having to gomthru this. Whatever you decide you'll receive support & understanding here. Give Daisy a huge cuddle for me - and I hope she purrs too!(((hugs))) Vivian
Last edited by Mayday21 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Vic
I'm very sorry that it appears to be a tumor. It was thoughts of "I must do everything possible" that got me to have Badger operated on. I wish I hadn't now as it was a total waste of time and only put him (and Tilly) to unnecessary stress. So I think you are right not to opt for surgery. Steroids may be worth a try.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I am very sorry that the results weren’t what you were hoping. What I always do when I am unsure is ask my vet what they would do if they were in my shoes and it was their cat they loved, then you can consider how Daisy is with you along with your vet’s advice on their diagnosis, that way you usually feel that you’ve chosen the best outcome. Sending love and cuddles to Daisy xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi, as Ruth says, mind-dump all you like, this is what the forum's here for, as we're all like-minded people :)

It's a bit hard to know with vets - I think many of them are deliberately low-key about bad news as they know you've got to keep yourself together while you get the cat home so they don't want to stir up emotions. And many of them are more focused on the animal, which is as it should be of course, but like cats they're all different. I shouldn't think Daisy is the only difficult cat on their books either - and as for large badly-trained or terrified dogs...vets should think themselves lucky, treating one naughty tortie, bless her.

Yes, you're having to stay strong for her, so take care of yourself, and all the best to the both of you as ever x
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hello All,
Thanks for your lovely posts.
Daisy is OK at the moment. I spoke to the vets earlier and the current plan is to keep her on the same dose of cerenia for 5-10 days and hopefully wean her off gradually. I have collected the steroids too, but I am going to start these at the weekend I think. The vet said there are little side effects of real concern, but I would prefer to start her on them when I am around a bit more (I am at work everyday in the week) to keep an eye on her. Also, I think I need a little more time before I have an additional worry of another new med.

A small bit of good news amongst all the horrible news is that the insurers have agreed all the claims to date and I see no reason why they won't continue to do so, so this is a relief on one front anyhow. I have to say the insurers have been brilliant - I thought I would have to fight for every penny, but they have not questioned or queried anything and paid the vet direct.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Vic glad to read that the insurers are being great with what you're going thru with your lovely Daisy. I'm still putting +Ve thoughts & prayers. Vivian
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi All,
I wanted to check back in as its a few days since I posted.
Daisy is OK - I'm not sure whether she feels a bit thinner at the back end or whether I am imagining it, given that I am constantly looking for worrying signs (and because she has a big shaved patch for her ultrasound she looks thinner at the back).

I haven't started her on the steroids - I plan to in the next hour or so tonight. I have been worrying about the side effects - I know there is no other option for her, but I read that they can make cats depressed and/or lethargic, mood changes too and I am fearful about this.

I have been getting on with things the last few days, but today, although I have been out and about and outwardly appear OK, I have been having a few moments inwardly where I find myself very anxious and emotional. This forthcoming week, we have to try and wean her off the cerenia and see if the steroids keep the vomiting at bay, which is going to be stressful.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I understand perfectly why you're worried, but try not to stress too much about it as cats can pick up on your stress sometimes. When I started my old Minnie on steroids they were a Godsend - not a single negative point or side effect, so you may be worrying about nothing - all you can do is try and see how it goes. Sending positive vibes and a fuss for Daisy. xx
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Vic Crewella always has good advice. Hope all goes well with the steroids & like Crewella +Ve thoughts & fusses for Daisy. Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Vic, how's it going? Still thinking about you and Daisy, love and hugs x