Blackie 1 ... Vet 0 ....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Blackie 1 ... Vet 0 ....

Post by Jan »

Blackie won the first round at the vets this morning. When I saw that the nurse was a young trainee, I knew there'd be real trouble. No sooner had the towel been wrapped round Blackie, then he was :evil: followed by a fight to keep him inside the towel with plenty of growling, hissing, spitting, screeching. The vet just about managed to cut some fur away from his paw so that blood could be drawn. Blackie almost wriggled free - still spitting, hissing, growling as the trainee didn't wrap the towel tight enough around him.

That's when the vet decided to 'ring the bell' and let Blackie calm down. During that 'intermission', I used the time to ask about Blackie's care/food etc.

After that, the vet decided she would hold Blackie in the towel while the trainee found a vein to draw blood. Unfortunately, the poor trainee kept being unsuccessful because even the vet couldn't keep him still. With each attempt, Blackie became more and more angry - screeching at the top of his voice - not sure if in anger or whether in pain at the attempts being made to draw blood :evil: In the end, the vet was having a very hard time holding Blackie still until she decided enough was enough - it was pointless to go on. If he had managed to get hold of any hand or scratch the vet or trainee I dread to think the damage he'd have done.

Blackie sat very still on the table until he thought it was safe to jump down on the floor and headed straight for his basket which was on a chair - distressed because he couldn't get in it (exact opposite to trying to get him in it before we head off to the vets!).

Round 2 is next Wednesday - Blackie is already in training :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Blackie 1 ... Vet 0 ....

Post by bobbys girl »

Ooooh Blackie, you naughty boy.

Been there - done that - still taking the tranquilizers. :roll: :lol:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I've always been lucky with vets.

I do however remember one time we took Blue, our Ragdoll for vaccinations and general check up. We had taken him into the surgery with one of the more experienced vets, it was about 10 minutes later that the vet nurses were peering nervously around the door checking everything was alright and wondering just what mutilation was being done to the poor cat after all he was yelling to wake the dead. The treatment in question, he was having his dew claws clipped. They weren't even particularly long, it was just a case of taking the tip off. He hated having his claws done and let you know, it was also the only time he tried to bite me (I was the one holding him) he just got a mouthful of wax jacket for his effort.

The opposite end of the scale was with Sam, he had a problem with his mouth so he was taken in. The vet could see a bone splinter embedded between his upper hard and soft pallet. he was left so the vet could sedate him and remove it. We went to pick him up that evening to find he was wide awake. Apparently after morning surgery, the vet had taken another look and as Sam just sat on the table he got a pair of tweezers and just pulled it out, no sedation necessary. He then spent most of the day sat in the receptionist in tray afterwards.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

bobbys girl wrote:Ooooh Blackie, you naughty boy.

Been there - done that - still taking the tranquilizers. :roll: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

The very idea that after taking the blood, he was due to have his nails clipped and teeth looked at :roll: I rang the vet this morning to ask if it might be better to sedate him next week but she would rather not do this unless absolutely necessary in case there is a problem with Blackie's teeth (I've highlighted there might be) and he has to undergo any dental surgery. She assured me the fully trained vet nurse would be in attendance who has a firm grip!

This morning we are getting the 'cold shoulder' - even to the point that he is being very picky about his beloved Felix. I'm having to crush 2 Hills u/s kibbles (he'd live on them if he could) into the bowl of food mixed with water to get him to eat anything.

Don't laugh but he's due his flea treatment about now ... think we'll wait until he gets over his sulk.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

The cats are fine, it's ME that needs the tranks! :lol: Grace is very powerful for a little fat cat and normally grumpy anyway. If she sees a towel heading her way, all hell breaks loose. :shock:

Tommy was the one though. In the early days I had to take him to the vets with a cut ear. It took two men to look at him and one of those was wearing the sort of gauntlets you see falconers wearing. Tommy looked - and sounded, like Taz. :lol: Ah those were the days.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oooooo! Bad lad!

:lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh good going Blackie - these vets definitely need 'putting in their place' sometimes!! :lol:

I've had a few vet visits like that - inlcuding the stray that bit the vet, got loose, tried to climb the walls and knocked all the meds off the shelves!! :oops:
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Crewella wrote:Oh good going Blackie - these vets definitely need 'putting in their place' sometimes!! :lol:

I've had a few vet visits like that - inlcuding the stray that bit the vet, got loose, tried to climb the walls and knocked all the meds off the shelves!! :oops:
At least Blackie only sought sanctuary in his basket once he'd jumped off the table - but I feared for the trainee's + vet's hands at times before the vet realised the situation was hopeless.

I was angry about what happened because the vet knows Blackie of old and should have known that a trainee wouldn't be able to handle him properly unless given specific instructions about wrapping him in the towel tightly and covering his head if it became necessary which very quickly it did. I realise his behaviour stems from fear - though Blackie seems to be afraid of most things to be honest.

I've learned not to put my jeans on first thing in the morning if we have an early appointment because Blackie will then disappear under the dining room cabinet wailing like a banshee as if he's about to be pts. The only way to get him out is by my OH hooking him out with a walking stick.

Pity the cat doesn't realise we are subjecting him to these tests in an effort to keep him CKD at bay for as long as possible. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be out of the doghouse.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

You're right to be angry, they should have planned it better, for Blackie's sake if not for their own safety. :roll:
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

The more time goes by, the more angry I'm getting to be honest. Blackie is not, at the moment, the same cat that he was before we took him in yesterday. I'm thinking of cancelling next week's appt to give him more time to get over what was a very upsetting and stressful experience for him (let alone me).

He has been with the same vet for 13 years (save for the years when my late mother was too infirm to take him there) so I've been reluctant to change vet clinics. However, this vet is at the 'last chance saloon' and if there is any hint of problems when we do take him in, I will step in and stop the procedure - and that could well be the last time she'll ever see him.
I
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

When my parent retired and decided to downsize and move, the normal discussions were had, after all as a family we are fairly spread out, they lived in Ross on Wye, I live in Wolverhampton and my sister lives in Liverpool. Did they stay in Ross, or did they move closer to one of us etc. What finally made the discision was the vets, my mother decided that she would rather change her doctor, dentist etc, rather than change vets, so as the vets were in Monmouth (they had been in Ross, but a break up in the partnership meant half moved to Monmouth), so that was where they moved to.

If you have any doubts about your vets then it it time to take recommendations and change vets. If it was the first time then it is a bit different, but even then they should listen to the owner. This year when i finally managed to catch Freyja and get her to the vets for her booster and checkup I really did wonder what would happen, she is still very wary about being handled and I can't pick her up except by scruffing her. Fortunately she froze, the vet was wonderful, a quiet calm examinations and injection then back in her basket. Saying that I always prefer to handle the cats myself at the vets, I know more what they are like and what type of hold is needed.

If Blackie needs special treatment it should be on his record and they should act accordingly, or worse case, if the experienced member of staff is off unexpectedly, let you know as soon as you get there, if not before, and let you decide if you want to re arrange the appointment.

You shouldn't need to worry about cancelling the appointment until about 24 hours before it is made for, if the vets complain about cancelling the day before then all the more reason to get a new vet, I had to cancel one of Freyja's, she just hadn't settled after the first attempt for it to even be worth trying to catch her. The appointment was for Tuesday evening so I phoned on Monday evening and the receptionist seemed surprised that I had even bothered. When I made the next one I made it for the last appointment in the morning surgery with the understanding that we would take her whenever i could catch her that day and to be prepared to wait. We turned up about 2 hours early and only had to wait about 10 minutes for them to fit us in.

Hopefully he will have settled by next week and you can keep the appointment as planned or have spoken to others in your area and found a new vet.