Help needed with house soiling cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cregis
New Cat Chatter

Help needed with house soiling cat

Post by Cregis »

I have a 2 year old tabby who is becoming a bit of a nightmare with house soiling. Her use of litter trays is very inconsistent and she is beginning to mess in numerous rooms.
I have attempted to block off areas/ increase the number of litter trays/change the type of litter/ plugged in fellaway to try and solve the issue, but nothing seems to work. I have a 4 month old baby and I wonder whether this has contributed to stress, but I don't know how to resolve that issue.
I don't want to have to rehome her, but for hygiene reasons, I cannot have a soiling cat and a toddler in the same house, so I really want to find a solution.
I have read about 'retraining' by putting a cat in a pen. Is this ok for the cat? What size pen if so? ( she is a small cat)
I have taken her to the vet, and there are no health reasons why she should be doing this, so any advice gratefully received.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Help needed with house soiling cat

Post by Jacks »

Hi Cregis, this must be very distressing. Has the soiling started after the arrival of the baby? If so it sounds like 'middening' to me - here's a web page which explains.
http://www.thecatbehaviorclinic.com/def ... ening.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The difference is in the behaviour around the soiling and where it is - if she's trying to cover it, and does it in discrete places, it's not territorial generally but if it's left in prime places with no attempt to cover, the likelihood is that she feels her territory is threatened and she's trying to reclaim it. If this is the case then undoubtedly the smell of baby pooh is being taken as a rival marking the territory and she's trying to reestablish her dominance.

Solving the problem may be difficult, and I'm no expert, but I wonder whether it might be possible to do some 'scent swapping' - usually to introduce new cats to each other - but one way only; to introduce baby's scent to her. So taking something the baby has worn, before it has been washed, and rubbing it on her cheeks to get her scent combined. Then leave the garment in her 'nest' or bed, so that she can smell the combined smells. Then I would try to make sure you completely dispose of any soiled napkins (so don't leave them in bins, even if they are bagged - cats have very sensitive noses!). Now I may be talking rubbish, but if so some of our more experienced cat people will I'm sure make some comments.

But for me it's integrating baby and letting your girl know that she's still Queen of the home...

By the way she has been spayed, hasn't she? If not I would get it done ASAP!

Does she have outside access? I'm guessing no, as she is so determined to claim her home territory.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree with Jacks, this does sound like stress related soiling due to the arrival of your baby. She feels very unsettled and distressed by the sudden changes, smells and noises in her world. While I understand that the baby comes first, and there must be many new pressures on your time, emotions and energy at the moment, try to find time out to reassure your puss as much as possible, and to give her quality one to one time, to help her feel more settled in her environment and to re-establish her position in the household. Keep up with the extra litter trays and feliway as well, it will all be helping. Resist the temptation to get cross with her, it will only make things worse. Cuddles, play, soothing words and cuddles are the order of the day.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I have the same problem as you Cregis.
I have three misbehaving cats.
Nothing works for mine. But these ladies have some good advise. Time will tell if you can get through.
jill