Letting a new cat out for first time

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Letting a new cat out for first time

Post by emmab »

I have just let Grany out for his first wander in the garden. I held him and walked away from the house with him, then afterwards he had a wander in the garden near the house. I was petrified he would wander off. He did wander further than I would of liked and paniced and got him in again. He didn't regocnize the treats box signal to come back either. We have had him 2 weeks indoors, how is best to handle them being outside and should I panic if he wanders a little. He would not go around the front of the house which is good. Has been a while since we let a new cat out. How long should I leave him out there?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Letting a new cat out for first time

Post by booktigger »

He really should stay in for at least 4 weeks or longer if he doesn't respond to a signal like the treat box, especially as he's not been well
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I would leave it a bit longer, you need to make sure he views your home as a safe place to run back to if he gets scared and that usually takes 3/4 weeks. Next time, let him out just before dinner time, go with him, and then call him back in for his dinner after 5 or 10 minutes to get him used to coming in when you call. All being well, do the same but for a bit longer the next day and so on, and always reward him with a treat if he comes in when you call. Good luck!
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

It may not be an issue for much longer. I have been to the vet with him today and he has a mass in his stomach. His temperature is up and his protien levels are high and an unltrasound has showed he has enlarged lymph nodes. Not a good day. Am beside myself knowing that Tuesday which is biopsy day may be our last trip to the vets with him.mHow can such a loving cat who remains calm in all scenarios can be put through such an awful experience. The refuge for months and just when we can give him a good home, this happens. He is so well at eating fantastically well. If you could see him you would think he is the picture of health. Lifes a bitch sometimes and this is the second of 4 cats we have had illnesses with from the refuge. I hope grany doesn't go the same way but cannot be at all positive as the vet seems quite negative atm.
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi Emma,
Sorry to hear your news from the vets.
It sounds like a similar situation to mine....we got Daisy from a rescue centre 5 months ago and she has been ill since July.....I haven't gone down the biopsy route because she is 11 and may not pull through the op due to her weight, but from other tests, the vets think inflammation on her ultrasound could be a growth of some sort. Like Grany, Daisy is well in herself with the exception of persistent vomiting (being controlled currently by medication).

What I would say about Grany....her results may point towards an infection, which could possibly explain the mass. I say this because the vets said that Daisy's could not be an infection as her results were all clear. Therefore, Grany may possibly have an infection that is causing the problem.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Well the Refuge has had an flu epidemic and he has had a fever throughout the whole time as well as a runny eye, so I agree that maybe he has been fighting off a cold for a long time. I think this may of hit his immune system. He is very well in himself, eating well, very happy and incredibly cuddly so can ever hope they can do something. He is going for a biopsy on his lymph nodes on Tuesday. The pain we go through as petowners is huge. We have only had him 2 weeks but his is the cutest cat ever and could not bear tompart with him. He is only 2 and has such a poor start in life. Life is so sad sometimes. They are comforting words thank you and means a lot. I hope Daisy continues to stay as well as she can and it is so heartwarming to hear she is also a rescue and now having a trully wonderful life with you.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed the vet is wrong
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

So sorry to hear about the news from the vets, I'll be keeping everything crossed that the tests come back fine. I always think the worst time is the waiting and not knowing.

Worst case scenario, remember that while he has been with you he has had his chance to experience a warm and loving home, even if it is only for a few weeks, it is far better than being diagnosed while at the refuge, where no matter how good they are, they can't provide the amount of love and attention you have given him.

You have given him the greatest of gifts, You have Loved him.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thank you but I cannot understand why this has not been picked up earlier as this could of been prevented! They did tell me he had lost a lot of weight at the refuge and said it was due stress with being with the other cats but he is so layed back I cannot understand this? The vet also said he had a fever the day before adoption so they did bloods and kept him in overnight. He then said the next day he was better??? He clearly wasn't and his weight loss, fever and mass seems to have been overlooked which is incredibly sad. I am in bits over this and cannot stop crying over my boy. He is too nicer a cat for him to go so soon. :(
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I really do hope it is something that can still be treated.

It should have been picked up earlier and i fully believe that you should make the shelter he came from aware of what is going on. Some shelters seem to run fairly haphazardly but work, others seem to keep close records on all of their animals, maybe the one he came from needs to review their monitoring system, particularly as you mention there was an infection running through the place when you got him.

I wouldn't be one to suggest complaining and demanding compensation, most shelters are hard pushed to meet costs as it is, but letting them know there is a problem might prevent anyone else going through what you are.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Hi Emma, I've just responded to your email x
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Yes thank you so much greenkitty. Much appreciated and sorry it brought back memories for you. I know a cat can carry on living for some time with certain disease so all I can do is hope and pray they can do something. Take care and thanks again.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thanks Ruthb. It is the second cat we have adopted with serious medical issues. I know stray cats can become quite unwell and with no real history to go on can make them hard to treat. The heartbreaking thing is this maybe could of been avoided. The refuge is the equivalent of the RSPCA in the UK and is the SPA in France. I know they do things differently and do house a few cats together which can be a problem. They do have individual pens for very sick kitties too. The thing is they knew he had lost a lot of weight. I know they are all volunteers but really this should of been noted. The boss did say they are not sure how they overlooked it and how the vet did too and tbh Valentines death before was due to a very freak blood disorder and could not have been predicted, Grany's could of.
I know they are charity run but their cats are 150-170 euros for adoption and we have adopted 4. 2 of which are healthy and 1 died and now Grany. I am not sure how to approach this one but they are funding Grany's treatment, although for how long I don't know.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry to hear this, and I really hope that you get some better news next week. Sadly it can sometimes happen in shelters that an illness can get overlooked, I really hope that you have managed to catch him in time to help him. At worst, at least he now has someone fighting his corner and knows what it's like to have a loving owner. Everything here crossed for him. xx