Peritonitis (dry form)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Peritonitis (dry form)

Post by emmab »

Following on from our cats aspiration tomorrow for enlarged lymph nodes in tummy I have spoke to the vets this morning and he is not sure at this stage but mentioned peritonitis which cannot be treated as a possible problem. Has anyone any experience of this illness in cats as I have read about a stomach wash but not sure when this can be done? I am just trying to prepare myself as much as possible and be a little knowledgeable to ensure I know all I can about what possibly can be done, although sounds very limited.
Last edited by emmab on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: suspected Peritonitis aspiration tomorrow

Post by Marla »

Hi Emmab,

I'm sorry your cat is unwell. Did your vet say what type of peritonitis he was thinking of?

Our Flo had peritonitis which was treatable. On the ultrasound, it looked like a large mass, but it turned out her abdominal lining was inflamed. She went to the vet hospital in Potters Bar and they flushed out her abdomen and she was in hospital for about a week, from what I can remember.

In Flo's case, it wasn't Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP). I don't think that's treatable, but I could be wrong.
Last edited by Marla on Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

He didn't say sorry as atm it is only speculation. He did say thought it would not be treatable. I will look into it and let you know. I am glad Flo is doing well at what must of been a very worrying time for you too. I will bear this in mind and thank you so much. Were her lymph nodes enlarged in her tummy and did she have a fever and high protein levels?
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Flo had a fever, very raised white blood cells, low total protein and low albumin. I don't remember about lymph nodes but her paperwork says the radiography showed evidence of pre sternal lymphadenopathy.

Best wishes for tomorrow.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thanks again. Grany has high protein levels
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Really wish I had something useful to offer, but no experience so can only send positive vibes. xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Good luck Grany x
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thanks all. Going to be a long week as the results tale nearly a week to come through. Just want to get things moving.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Marla wrote:Flo had a fever, very raised white blood cells, low total protein and low albumin. I don't remember about lymph nodes but her paperwork says the radiography showed evidence of pre sternal lymphadenopathy.

Thankyou. It does say high or low protein levels so hopefully if he has peritonitis it is the treatable one.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Marla wrote:Flo had a fever, very raised white blood cells, low total protein and low albumin. I don't remember about lymph nodes but her paperwork says the radiography showed evidence of pre sternal lymphadenopathy.

Maria- Did Flo's ultrasound show fluid in stomach.mI think this was what he indicated.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

I'm really sorry Emma, I've only just seen your question. Flo had fluid in her abdomen which they tested and flushed out. It sounds like your kitty's blood results are different from hers though, so maybe it's not the same thing.

Have you been to the vet today?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I have just got back. It definately isn't peritonitis, however it could still be something serious so they and we cannot relax yet but at least we can rule one thing out. I have run out of tears now. We have to wait 10 days for results. Problem is, as with many people googling illnesses is bad news! I have worried myself sich the past few days. Vet is also on holiday for a week so will have to keep on top of the results although they are good. He still has a high temp, high protein and a watery eye which apparantely is normal with illness although thisnis improving. Bottom line is he is eating normally, playing like mad and will be going out for the first time tomorrow. Thanks for the response Marla. I understand this aspiration can fail to give a reading 30% of the time so may need to have a biopsy if this fails to show anything. Anyway he is back home and getting endless cuddles.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

I know what you mean about feeling sick with worry. :(

Did the vet say it was OK to let him out?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Absolutely fine
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

emmab wrote:Absolutely fine
Personally, I would keep him in until you get his test results back, partly for his sake as if he came into contact with something he could be really poorly and partly in case he has something infectious that he could pass on.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Well he has been with us for nearly 3 weeks now and is dying to go out. I asked the vet at the appointmentbyesterday and he said it was fine for him to go out. It will be up to 10 days before we get the results. Will have to think about that one.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

emmab wrote:Well he has been with us for nearly 3 weeks now and is dying to go out. I asked the vet at the appointmentbyesterday and he said it was fine for him to go out. It will be up to 10 days before we get the results. Will have to think about that one.
Nearly 3 weeks isn't really long enough to be considering letting a new cat out anyway, much less a poorly one, it really should be a minimum of 4 weeks. Is he responding to you now when you shake the treats? I'm really shocked that a vet thinks it's a good idea to let him out when you don't know what is causing his symptoms.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

I'd be worried about letting him out as well.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Hmm well we are in France so things are a little different maybe. He doesn't reply to treats as I have not been shaking them indoors but he does respond to his name however once he gets outside I think he may be distracted!!!!
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: suspected Peritonitis (dry form) aspiration tomorrow

Post by emmab »

Well Grany has just gone back into the vets for a second aspiration of the lymph nodes in his tummy. The first results came back showing probable dry feline peritonitis (FIP). Whilst this has still to be comfirmed we are devastated. This poor beautiful boy has had a hard 2 years and now this. There appears to be little we can do and will indeed have to stay with the vets until this is comfirmed as he is at risk of passing this on to Gemo. If anyone else has been through this with their do let me know. Grany is well at the moment in himself but have to face facts that the decision on euthanasia is looking more probable now and when is the right time to do it? We are in bits and not sure how long ourselves we can wait for the inevitable. Lets hope the vets are wrong. The refuge offered to take him whilst he has treatment but now he has this are not able too, although the risk to their other cats is great. We would not part with him anyway as he was family from day 1'of adoption. How very sad and devastating life can be.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry to hear this, all paws crossed for a better result now. xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Peritonitis (dry form)

Post by booktigger »

Dry FIP is actually the better form, I've heard of cats having 12 months plus, using Interferon. While it's good your vets are being cautious and keeping him in, Gemo will have already come into contact with it, as it is spread through litter trays - it's not a contagious disease in itself, it's caused by the Corona Virus, which most come into contact with if they go outside, but most will shed it and become immune - I lost a cat to wet FIP, my other cat was fine, and if he was a carrier, it wasn't passed on to the other cats he lived with after losing Tigger (and that was in the days before I knew that you should have more than one litter tray, mine shared). Good luck.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thankyou. Fortunately Gemo goes out so does not use a litter tray. Grany's tray was in his room so she had no contact with it. The only issue was sharing food dishes. I will keep you all posted. Our cattery has said they would take Grany during the holidays but as we have not booked it yet will hold off. If it is this though we are concerned having him in the house with Gemo. If it is this and he survives for a short time surely him being around Gemo isn't good? I don't mean it to sound like this as he is adorable and one day without him here today is trully horrible. It is amazing how 3 weeks can bond us with a new addition.
Thing is as well the vet suspected FIP ages ago and whilst we cannot predict things and belts and braces etc there was a risk there for Gemo and that concerns me a little. Also Grany has lost lots of weight at the SPA whilst awaiting rehoming...they knew that so how can this get overlooked for stress?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I have spoken to our vet tonight. We adopted Grany 6 weeks ago but he had a probable unknown illness which shocked us all when FIP came back negative. It was thought he had the tail end of a virus at the refuge. The vets were shocked and a little stumped as they have not been able to diagnose his problem. The refuge has been paying for his treatment but we have been toying with a biopsy of his lymph nodes although this still may be inconclusive. We are not sure whether to carry on as we are without a biopsy, or get one done. He has issues with a fever when he gets stressed going to the vets and also has high protein levels as well as enlarged tummy lymph nodes. His fever is most certainly due stress as he is well in himself and the vets said it was consistant with stress. He seems happy enough atm but is quiet, doesn't play but always follows us around the house and quite interactive with us. He goes out for a poop then back in again. He eats no more than a sachet a day of felix or similar so not masses and he has lost weight since September, just before adoption. He is 3 kilos now and was 3.6 whe we adopted him. The vet recommend RC gastro for more calories but not having much luck on this and he takes metrobactin each day atm. The vet was not sure whether we were happy paying for his biopsy if the SPA weren't paying for any more treatment. Of course we would pay for more treatment but the question is do we put him through more stress and the biopsy may still be inconclusive or leave him be if he is OK and deal with the weight as and when? He is a worry atm and it has been quite stressful in a loving way of course hence the number of forum replies I have made. Difficult to know how to play this one? We want what is best for him but if he has got limited time or a reduced life then it needs to be happy now that he has been adopted. The main issue is whether he has had some illness or still does. I don't think a diagnosis is going to be that obvious.