Some good news ...

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Some good news ...

Post by Jan »

I know there are many folk on here who are facing much sadness and/or worry over their beloved cats - and I feel really fortunate to have received good news from our vet. My stress levels go through the roof waiting for the results wondering whether his CKD has slipped into Stage 2.

Having taken a deep breath when the vet answered my phone call this afternoon I was delighted to hear her tell me that his results, bar one, were absolutely fine. However, the laboratory had listed his Urea as being very slightly high. On hearing my downcast 'Oh', she said in her opinion this result was more than likely caused by his stress levels which go through the roof whenever we visit the vet. (Though Blackie gets stressed about anything/everything).

Now begins the task of getting a urine sample from him - due towards the end of the month, but I'd better start trying this week :roll:
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Some good news ...

Post by emmab »

So pleased for you both! What a relief. The waiting is always the worst part. Lots of health and happiness :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Whew, that's good! That's cheered me up no end. :D

Good luck with the urine sample - we never did manage to get one from Tommy. Everytime we approached him as he neared the tray, he shot off like a rocket and he didn't like those plastic pellets one little bit. :?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Yes, great to have some good news about Blackie. Hope you have more success that I did trying to get a urine sample. Although its over 6 years since I last had to try, my efforts have always been an abject failure and we end up with an overnight stay at the vets for them to get the necessary sample!
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

Hi Jan,
That's great news...as you said, good news seems few and far between.

How on earth do you get a urine sample from a cat?? I have struggle enough with getting tablets down :lol: The vet took a sample from Daisy (I'm assuming when she was put under anaesthetic!)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Great to hear you had some good news.

As far as I know there are two ways of getting a urine sample from a cat. One involves special non absorbent litter granules. i tried this once with Blue, unfortunately he was used to a very large litter tray. We got a tiny bag of the granules from the vets for what seemed to be an exorbitant cost. If I had put them in a litter tray for him, he would barely have had room to get a paw in (He was a big lad). Fortunately he was laid back enough that I could put them in a kitten sized litter tray and then place that on top of the normal litter just as he was about to go. He was probably the only cat I have ever had that would have let me do it.

The other method I have heard of which makes me wince a bit, but is a bit more guaranteed involves a trip to the vets and a long needle syringe, insert needle into cat (I think they go in through the side but I'm not sure) and draw sample straight from the bladder. I have never seen it done but I have heard it can be.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

This urine sampling business must have changed a bit since I last had to try. I was given a plastic funnel thingy which I was supposed to position under her backside when she started to crouch on the litter tray. I was never quick enough!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

I read ages ago put a garbage plastic bag over the kitty litter in the tray - they feel the litter & you can then syphon urine into a jar. I tried it with Mayday & it worked. May be an idea to check with vet clinic re possible contamination from the plastic garbage bag. :? Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Jan, hope this is a sign of things to come and that he is managing to cope with life without getting stressed, poor chap.

I'm sure I read somewhere, and perhaps even on this forum, that a vet could massage a (compliant!) cat's stomach and gently express urine. Otherwise, yes ...I once had to try and get a sample from my old lad - thought putting kitchen towel in a clean tray might work, drain off the dregs (drew the line at wringing it out with my bare hands, mind.) Nope. I don't know if the plastic granules might have worked, but he held out for hours.

I did once have a lad, very young, very quiet with what was called in those days nephritis, which I'm assuming is ckd, who I knew needed to wee the minute he woke up. He was such a gentle boy, I could let him sleep, lift him on to his tray and stick a small container under him, and Niagara. It always caused a lot of surprise at the vet's when I turned up with Tim and his sample. Not many cats like Tim around though.

Paws crossed for Blackie :)
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Thanks to all for the good wishes.

The vet also told me she did a SDMA test but I must have blanked out by the time she mentioned it because for the life of me I can't remember what she said. I will be calling in to the clinic soon to ask her opinion about a few things (unrelated to CKD), so will ask more about the SMDA test.

Have had more than my fair share of problems trying to persuade Blackie to provide a urine sample especially after the vet told me not to stress him trying to get it. It once got to the stage when, after nearly 6 weeks. I decided to buy some more expensive granules that look more like his normal clumping litter and left the other tray empty. No need to say which tray was used.

Lilith ...being stressed about everything and anything just seems a way of life for Blackie. He didn't have the best start to life and was extremely lucky 13+half years ago that my late mother took him on. Now our life seems to revolve around what's best for Blackie and his stress levels :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh Lord, this brings back memories of crouching behind Daz with a big serving spoon!! :lol:

That's really good news about Blackie's results, I'm so pleased. I have a soft spot for your Blackie, give him a gentle fuss from me! :) xx
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Even more good news .... just spoken to the vet for the urine results (won't go into the hilarity of trying to get the sample). My dread is hearing her say that his UPC ratio has gone up. Very happy to hear her tell me that its still within the normal range and so were the results of his SDMA test. So we carry on as usual with his favourite food - Felix Double Delicious (he's gone off the AGAIL variety) - with added Ipakitine.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Good news indeed! :D
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Yay, excellent news indeed. fusses to your boy
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

My beloved Blake had CKD and I was told to get a urine sample and given a bag of those plastic pellets. I put them in a litter tray but didn't expect this to work at all as Blake hadn't actually used a litter tray since he was a kitten, and now he was very nearly 18. But within minutes of me putting the tray down he went in it and provided a sample. But then, he always was a very special cat. Slightly self-contained, but with real 'presence'.
I love Rufus to bits, but not a day goes by that I don't think of Blake. And, admittedly slightly less often nowadays, of Pussy, who was my companion for fifteen years, before Blake, when I had nobody else in the world. They're both buried in a quiet spot in the garden.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh good going Blackie! Hope it continues that way! xx