Frequent Sloppy Stools

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Frequent Sloppy Stools

Post by Ruth B »

One thing that annoys me with the labeling is the lack of consistency between brands.

As Crewella mentioned the 4% given is for the specific meat not the overall meat content. You then have those that list the content as 70 - 90% meat. Unfortunately the quality of the meat can vary so some aren't as good as they seem, also some even mention that they aren't a 'complete' cat food and can't guarantee that they contain all the vitamins and minerals that the cat needs. You then have those that just list the protein content and Felix AGAIL actually seems to come out one of the best of the supermarket brands at 14 - 15%. This is actually about the same as the high protein cat food my mother got from the vets when her cat was first diagnosed as diabetic. Dried food will always appear to have a higher protein content than wet as the wet food has to take into account the water content as well.

I'm certainly not giving up on it and the Gourmet Gold does seem to be part of the problem so that is off the menu for now. Felix AGAIL does seem to give better results most of the time so I'll stay with that for most of his meals and go on to Gourmet Pearl for the occasional change (which is one of the wheat free ones).

He also isn't a cat who will try and help me solve this. I am trying ot get him off a lot of the cereals, so the other day I catch him eating the cheese on toast crusts that were left out and then later he is face first in the frying pan used to make the chicken risotto happily eating any bits of rice that might be left over. He isn't starving, he doesn't need worming, he is just convinced that anything left over has to be better than what is on offer.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Kylie used to love Gourmet Perle, especially the beef one, but it was another trigger food unfortunately. I think it (like most foods in gravy) contains wheat gluten. The only gravy food I was ever able to find that is totally wheat/gluten-free is supermarket own brand. You can tell they are made by the same company, regardless of which supermarket you get them from, is that the pouches are silver with black print and you almost need a magnifying glass to read the flavour, which is printed on the pouch with a dot matrix. (also the main box says 'Made in Ireland, or 'Made in Republic of Ireland' - the only difference is, depending on which supermarket you buy them in, the flavours vary.

PS - I just looks at Asda'a tiger version and the ingredients include fish oil and chicory, which seems pretty good for budget food.
Attachments
IMG_2019.jpg
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My lot like the Asda food too. We get food donated for the foster cats, so every third or fourth meal they get something random, but my lot mainly get Felix AGAIL or Butchers Classic and do well on it.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Yes - Kylie semi-tolerated AGAIL/Doubly delicious. She was allowed it. She only developed her gut problems in her last couple of years. I suppse different cats have different triggers, but the wheat/wheat gluten ones seem to be the most common. I also tried Kylie with Classic. She loved it for a while, but then refused it. Another one that went down well and was tolerated, was the foil pate trays.