FIV Behavioural Changes

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ownedbymycat
Returning Cat Chatter

FIV Behavioural Changes

Post by ownedbymycat »

Hi All - sorry to post in here as well but want to make sure it is read by as many people as poss :)

---

Hi All

New to the forum and wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues or advice!
We rehomed a 9 month FIV boy last December so we have had him for nearly a year now, in recent months we have noticed his behaviour has been up and down, really quite erratic.

He recently has taken to extreme hyperactive behaviour and also switching from his moods towards us very very quickly. A week or so ago I spent a week off work and he would be on my lap and extremely loving for a majority of the day, usually lying down for a stroke on his belly when my partner came home.
Since then he has been quite aggressive in his play, won't sit on our laps, bounces off pretty much everything and frequently (sometimes 7/8 times an evening) bushing his fur up and flattening his ears at us whilst going sideways (...think The Exorcist but cat-like)

We haven't changed our behaviour to him, we don't shout at him and really don't understand what is causing this. Obviously as he has FIV, he doesn't go out and he was abused/dumped as a kitten, so we are worried that he is either being affected by the disease or is starting to display behavioural problems.

Help! We love him to bits and want him to be happy!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: FIV Behavioural Issues

Post by Lilith »

Bless him!

I've no experience (paws crossed) of FIV but I DO have a 'mixed up kid' like yours and yes, they're a handful. My Molly's known as the Ginger Ninja, Manic Molly, you're off your trolley, Molly, and Ginger you're barmy, and I've come to the conclusion that some cats just are like this. She's five now. Well, she HAS stopped kick-boxing the bathroom wall (but only because there's a new towel-rail there - sorry, Molly.)

When she came as an adolescent (don't know much about her background except that the previous owner's other cats moved out in protest and they - the owners - were afraid Moll might attack the new baby) she was very quiet and gentle - and then she started ruling the roost, so I wonder if, in your boy's case, after his rotten start and health problems, the settling in period has taken longer and he's now showing his true colours and getting confident and dominant, which is lovely.

Don't stand for any rough stuff though. Just say 'no' quietly or hiss or both, and withdraw all attention for a little while - then praise him for being a good boy. And if he plays gently, praise him.

He sounds a great guy, give him a love from me and all the best with him :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: FIV Behavioural Changes

Post by bobbys girl »

I think the first port of call is a trip to the vet to see if there is any underlying health problems (ignore FIV for now). FIV is not an illness as such, but the body's ability to fight illness.

If he checks out OK then it sounds like a behavioural problem. Something has spooked him or upset him. Something you may not be aware of. Or as Lilith says now he has settled in he is showing his true clours!

Poor little chap, I hope you get him sorted.
ownedbymycat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by ownedbymycat »

thank you for responding :)

funnily enough as soon as I checked back on the forum, he reverted to his calm/loving self after a crazy period again. he has been lying near me, paw stretched out with claws ready to apply slight pressure to remind me to carry on scratching his head!

He is such a gorgeous cat I am so proud to have him, quick pic of him although not looking too impressed at having his picture taken!
Attachments
Mikel.jpg
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Aww gorgeous guy! Mousey's a black tuxedo too - and I do find black and white cats are wacky characters. He's lovely, congrats :D

Ooops edit - I've gone and got this thread mixed up with another one about cats (lovingly) biting and my Mouse, black tux but very timid, doing the same, but yes, black and whites ARE wacky and oh what a strokable guy :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I get that look from Willow all the time. :D He is a lovely boy.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Awwww he is lovely. If he checks out OK at the vets, it could well be that he's just a 'mixed up kid' as Lilith put it. I've had a couple of cats with bad histories and it can take them a couple of years, or more, to work through various phases as they start to trust, gain confidence and really settle in. To be honest, I doubt it's directly related to his FIV, the only thing might be a little frustration and boredom due to being confined to the house, maybe? It's probably worth making sure that he has plenty of toys and playtime to keep him occupied.