Keeping a cat indoors whilst unwell??

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Keeping a cat indoors whilst unwell??

Post by emmab »

We have had Grany for 3 weeks now after adopting him at a refuge and he is dying to go outside. However as mentioned previously he is unwell. If you see him he is normal and very happy, eating well, playing etc and both the vets have said he is fine to go out as he is "normal" it is just his fever, enlarged lymph nodes and protein levels that are high. He had some fluid drained from his nodes on Tuesday so waiting for the results. He is very very happy but feel a real meanie as he is absolutely dying to go out and feel he is getting bored indoors. I am also feeling guilty because if he does have something seriously wrong we are not giving him valuable time outside to do normal cats things.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Keeping a cat indoors whilst unwell??

Post by elastu »

Please don't feel bad, I personally don't have a problem keeping n a cat forever that has been used to an indoor/outdoor lifestyle. They adapt remarkably well and can have a wonderful quality life. In your case keeping a little one in for only 3 weeks when you have just taken it on is not unusual, many rescues recommend longer than that in any case. If the little one was mine I would certainly keep it in until it was 100% and you have the test results.
Please let us know how you get on.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Keeping a cat indoors whilst unwell??

Post by emmab »

I have let him out a few times today, just for short 15 min stints as he was like a lost cat seeing Gemo our other cat go out and he couldn't. He loved it. We watched him closely and atm just pick him up to get him in. Difficult one as their natural instinct is to be outside hunting mickies etc and enjoying the sunshine. Made worse knowing he may not be with us for long, although hope this is not the case.