Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:28 pm

We have left our cat Grany at our vets this evening with suspected FIP (Feline peritonitis), which is bad in itself. The vet said we could of bought him home this evening whilst waiting for the results but there was a chance that our cat Gemo may catch the virus from Grany. They have been together for 3 weeks anyway so is all risk. We decided to leave him there until the results come back but it is looking like we may need to make a decision on his future if this is positive. He is well atm but has symptoms and if we do decide to bring him home for his final days or months there is a risk Gemo may catch this too. He has told us that if it is FIP then we would need to make a decision on whether we bring him home, get him rehomed in a single cat household or may be "the other option" but not sure where we stand on that one as he is still well. The refuge cannot take him back as he is likely to pass on a probable virus and tbh he is our family now and this would never be an option. We could NEVER just send a cat back after adoption, which makes this decision very very hard indeed. I desperately need some advice from other cat owners facing similar situations please. I am in bits and cannot cope. He is our family and love him to the moon and back even if we have only had him 3 weeks. Gemo is part of our family too and couldn't live with myself if she became ill too because we chose to get another cat. The ultimate responsibility here lies with the SPA and the refuge who clearly have overlooked this illness.I am worried sick for Gemo now in case she has caught something?

Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:25 pm
No. of cats in household: 5
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by Meandmymunki » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:05 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this, I run a rescue and have lost 2 cats to it over the years it's just devastating.
I know you will want to follow vets advice but fip is not contagious and if your cat has a brother then potentially he could already have it as it mutates from the corona virus which is contagious but they will have had that a long time ago. Sadly fip is fatal very quickly and rehoming am infected cat is really not an option. Look up Dr Addie on google who is an expert on it and get yourself some more information but if you have the chance to have your poor boy at home for a bit longer then please do bring him home your other cat is def not at risk (even the referral vet told us to bring poor Charlie home).
It is quite rare and many vets aren't clued up on it but it's sadly on the rise.
I really hope you get some more time with your boy, thinking of you,
Sally x

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 2302
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by booktigger » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:52 pm

When Tigger had it, I just kept her separate, as I said on my other email, my other cat was fine. The initial vet told me I had to have my other cat tested, but when I booked it with a different vet she told me it was pointless.

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:24 am

Gemo our existing cat is not related to Grany. She was already here so only met Grany 3 weeks ago after his real brother went missing, So we are dealing with a double wammy if you like.
He said it was not possible to test the other cat which seems odd. He said there will be a no cat household that would be able to take Grany. I will look up Dr Addie thankyou and do some research.
I am just not sure about bringing him home atm which is very sad? Also he has lost weight over many months. If he has had the corona virus then FIP surely if he had this he would be going down hill by now? He is the opposite. Maybe he is being tested for the initial corona virus hence the seclusion?

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:10 am

Also if this is probably PIF our other cat will onky be accepted in a cattery in it's own cage as there is a risk to her too now. Our November holiday has completely gone out of the window now. Our priority is always our animals but what a mess this has put us in.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 2302
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by booktigger » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:32 pm

emmab wrote:Gemo our existing cat is not related to Grany. She was already here so only met Grany 3 weeks ago after his real brother went missing, So we are dealing with a double wammy if you like.
He said it was not possible to test the other cat which seems odd. He said there will be a no cat household that would be able to take Grany. I will look up Dr Addie thankyou and do some research.
I am just not sure about bringing him home atm which is very sad? Also he has lost weight over many months. If he has had the corona virus then FIP surely if he had this he would be going down hill by now? He is the opposite. Maybe he is being tested for the initial corona virus hence the seclusion?
There is no definitive test for FIP while a cat is alive unfortunately, you could only test Gemo for the Corona Virus, but that doesn't always tell you much. Dry FIP is the slower of the two, which could be why he is still so well in himself. Personally, I don't know many people who would willingly take on a cat with a terminal illness.

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:48 pm

When you say about "willingly take on a cat with a terminal illness", what do you mean? He was adopted before we knew about this probable illness. We have had him 3 weeks and has been having the tests since adoption. Not something we could pf predicted. This why we need to decide what to do with him. He is too healthy for euthanasia but will end up with another owner for a few months before he passes away. Not much of a life whatever happens. I believe animals are for life and don't have the heart to just dump them on a whim. He has had a poor life as it is.

Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:25 pm
No. of cats in household: 5
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by Meandmymunki » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:39 pm

it means if you are thinking of trying to rehome him for the time he has left you will struggle to find someone willing to take on a terminally ill cat as not many people will want to. The few people that will consider taking cats like that on are few and far between and usually already have a houseful of cats.
It's very sad, could the rescue he came from suggest anything? Do they have any long term foster homes?

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:43 pm

Not sure but the vet has just called. The refuge cannot take him back because of this. There is still an element of doubt it is PIF. We will be 100% tomorrow night. I think this sadly may come down to euthanasia. There is a test that our other cat can have which is a rectal swab which detects gastro and digestive changes in FIP but would take a couple of retests to be sure and tbh doing it now is too soon. Ironically if we knew Gemo had contracted it too we would keep Grany. It is a vicous circle. The SPA are funding his treatment atm but may not do so beyond euthanasia if this is terminal.
Last edited by emmab on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 2302
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by booktigger » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:47 pm

emmab wrote:When you say about "willingly take on a cat with a terminal illness", what do you mean? He was adopted before we knew about this probable illness. We have had him 3 weeks and has been having the tests since adoption. Not something we could pf predicted. This why we need to decide what to do with him. He is too healthy for euthanasia but will end up with another owner for a few months before he passes away. Not much of a life whatever happens. I believe animals are for life and don't have the heart to just dump them on a whim. He has had a poor life as it is.
I wasn't having a go at you, just replying to your comment about finding him another home. I kept Tigger at home but separated, although she had lived with Ginger for months before her diagnosis so slightly different

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:45 pm

No I know that but couldn't understand the comment that's all. Vicious circle as if Gemo has caught it he could come home but tests are non conclusive for a while. Hoping tomorrow brings better results.

User avatar
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3175
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 pm
No. of cats in household: 5
Location: Co. Fermanagh

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by bobbys girl » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:13 pm

Hope you get some good news tomorrow. Thinking about you and your situation.

User avatar
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3647
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:00 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: West Yorks

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by Lilith » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Everything still crossed for Grany - do hope it's good news x

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:50 pm

Thanks all. Means a lot x

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 2302
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by booktigger » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:01 pm

emmab wrote:No I know that but couldn't understand the comment that's all. Vicious circle as if Gemo has caught it he could come home but tests are non conclusive for a while. Hoping tomorrow brings better results.
Unfortunately it isn't the kind of illness that you can catch, it is a mutation of the Corona virus and it depends on each cats immune system as to what happens - the majority of cats will shed it. Unfortunately it's main trigger is stress. I've never heard of the rectal test.

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Well speaking to vets and the shelter this is contageous at both stages even if he has shed the corona virus and is made worse by sharing litter trays and if there is stress (as you say). Therefor we cannot take the risk until we know more. We do have to now try and get our head around the fact he is happy atm but if this is FIP will have to make a decision on his life. We have never had to contemplate euthanasia on a cat that is terminally ill but OK atm. It is totally different than when Sam was put to sleep. He had cancer and was the right time. With Grany he is OK for now but his probable diagnosis changes the whole situation,primarily for his wellbeing for the forthcoming weeks. Is it cuel to be contemplating this in a "healthy" cat? Really not sure how to handle this one. If he does find another home temporarily is this really what he wants and would he be happy, be it for a few months? His home is with us...god what is right?

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 2302
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by booktigger » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Sorry, by shed I mean cats can come into contact with it and their immune system will deal with it with no issues at all, not that he is shedding it. At least 40% of cats will come into contact with the Corona virus throughout their lifetime and very few develop FIP. The CP leaflet doesn't advise separating cats and that the resident cat isn't normally at risk - I'll try and send a link to the leaflet.

Out of curiosity, how old is Gemo? For some reason FIP normally only occurs in under 2 year olds or over 10.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 2302
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by booktigger » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:58 pm

I can't do a link to the actual leaflet, but here is the page for you to find it

http://www.cats.org.uk/cat-care/care-le ... ary-guides

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:54 pm

The cattery have said they will take Gemo for the holidays in November but as she has been in contact with Grany then she would have to be in her own pen until she is tested clear. We may do a test after the holiday but now is too soon and if the resukts today come back negative, not necessary. They won't however (understandably) take Grany. Thanks for the link. I have seen it after my days of searching the internet for the disease.

User avatar
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 1357
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:40 pm
No. of cats in household: 4
Location: Whitstable, Kent

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by MarkB » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:12 am

A lot of reading, but Diane Addie is the authority on FIP http://www.catvirus.com/

I don't have much personal experience of FIP, so nothing much I can add, other than hoping for the best. I remember about 8 years ago when I was a volunteered with CP and a Siamese with a very high titre came in. Brigid at Siamese rescue agreed to take the cat. She said at the time she was going to keep the cat in isolation until the titre went down and that avoiding stress was important. As I remember, she kept the cat for several months and eventually, she rehomed it. Things have probably moved on since then.
Last edited by MarkB on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:46 am

Thanks Mark, yes I have in fact emailed her but not expecting response. Trying to grab every last but of hope I can. I have barely slept all night as today we will know if he is OK. If this is positive my heart is telling me to bring him home and care for him until the ens which is our ultimate wish but my head is saying to respect our others cat and think of her health and wellbeing.

OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by OHWS » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:57 am

booktigger wrote:I can't do a link to the actual leaflet, but here is the page for you to find it

http://www.cats.org.uk/cat-care/care-le ... ary-guides
Working link

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:02 am

Thanks yes. Have just been given this link. Still not definitive though on what we do for Grany, It does kind of sway us into thinking we should bring him home if it is PIF under the point of isolating him from other cats and the likelihood of Gemo catching Corona before even having any contact with Grany.

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:57 pm

I am in France now so thought this afternoon I will contact our old vets before moving to France. I am calling them back later for their opinion on FIP. I can only do so much research online and with forums so now is in the hands of the vets and see what they suggest.

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:46 pm

Just spoken to our old vet. Had forgotten how rude and grumy he was! He basically said that we should euthanase Grany if it is FIP and that this isn't caught through litter trays but is through licking food bowls? I have spoken to Dr Addie who has said the opposite? He (our old vet) has also said that the FIP breaks down the immune system and Gemo is at risk of getting this and acts like an "Aids". Any thoughts in this? I am still gobsmacked I have spoken to such a rude and blunt man when we may be on the edge of euthanasing an FIP cat that is currently well in himself.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 2302
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by booktigger » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:29 pm

I wonder if he mis-herd and thought you said FIV, which is transmitted through saliva and can develop into Feline Aids? Sadly FIP is rare so vets don't deal with it a lot, but sorry he was so rude at such a difficult time for you.

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Maybe you are right. He was so stressed and on the verge of a heart attack it seemed. He was very rushed which was shocked by considering it is something so grave, I am waiting to speak to another vet for advice so will see what they say. Thank you. No results today. I did call the laboratory and they said last thing today or tomorrow morning. I think I am going mad waiting.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 2302
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by booktigger » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:30 pm

I know how hard it is waiting for results, fingers crossed

User avatar
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 3175
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 pm
No. of cats in household: 5
Location: Co. Fermanagh

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by bobbys girl » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:00 pm

Sorry to wade in, especially since I know nothing of FIP. But I do know something of FIV.

I think booktigger is right. It sounds like the vet you were talking about got them mixed up. He is still wrong! Yes FIV is transmitted through saliva - usually a bite. But it is highly unlikely to be transmitted by sharing bowls unless the cats are sharing a meal from the same bowl at the same time. The virus has a very short lifespan. It's not going to help you much in the present circumstances, but it is one less thing to worry about. Well I hope so.

Thinking of you.

Sue x

emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:30 am

Yes I think you are right. He was so highly strung on the phone and sounded so stressed I could tell from the offset he wasn't really listening. Luckily i have done some research and after receiving an email from Dr Addie know he (the vet) was wrong. I think he may be on the verge of a heart attack! What worries me is someone else who may speak to him may not be quite so up on a said illness and he may be misinforming people by not listening properly to what people are saying. I think his matter of fact and cold approach to me yesterday is not what a vet should be like. What a vile man. Cannot believe I used to use them and certainly don't remember him!

Post Reply