Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Tough decision on infected cat - probable FIP

Post by emmab »

Hi all. Well we anticipated this...Grany has got the corona virus or at least the potential showings of it. hard to tell exactly until I see the vet. I have only just been sent through and they are in french so tricky to totally understand. Even in english they are tricky. Now what? This really isn't good for us, Grany or our cat Gemo. Does this mean he could develop FIP or has it? There is no mention of FIP on the results.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

As I said previously, there is no definitive test for FIP, but if his Corona levels are high with his other symptoms, it sways towards it - does he still have a temperature?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Well I am not sure I suspect so as he has had one for a few weeks. He has been staying at the vets for a few days so not sure. From what I can make out his test shows he is susceptable to the virus. I am not sure what we do now. I am trying to get my head around it before we speak to the vet.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Our bad french strikes again! Having got myself into a frenzy this morning with the results but we have spoken to the vet and Grany is clear of corona and FIP! How amazing is that. His fever has gone as well which the vet seems to think was the stress of the car. Two vets have now said this. I am going to get our bundle of joy today and bring him home. He still may have an underlying minor issue with protein levels but bottom line is he is good. His kidneys did show they were slightly different sizes but they were not at all concerned by this and as long as he has chck ups he will be fine. Thank you all so much for your kind words of support on what has been an awful week. :D :D How can a morning go from trully awful to totally amazing very quickly.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

That's fantastic news, I'm so pleased for you. Fingers crossed his protein levels are nothing to worry about.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Great news Emma :D :D :D :D :D
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

He is not out of the woods yet as there is a obviously reason why his protein is so high and the vet was a little surprised by the results. His weight has dropped again a little but was going up whilst he was at home. He may have a renal issue but said maybe repeat his bloods in a month. He also said there was a very small amount of fluid in his stomach so has to be prudent on him. He also does suffer with a runny right eye which he has had since adoption. The vets are not worried by this and said it can happen and they really don't seem to worry. I have to reassure the cattery now for his holiday in 2 weeks.Thanks for all your kind thoughts
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

That's great news :) I have to say I was a bit confused at the fever with Grany being fine on himself. My cat had a fever recently and was very poorly and wouldn't eat and you know what you're like yourself with a fever. Anyhow hopefully things start to pick up for him now, and that a lot has been stress of his past. Give him some fusses from me xx
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thanks Janey. He is curled up very tight under my arm on his cushion and very happy. Never known a cat who loves his cuddles so much.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Great news and hope things continue to be easier now for Grany and the rest of you - all the very best x
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thanks Lilith, I think the cattery needs to speak to our vet as we were due to go away soon and they would of taken Gemo although with suspected FIP she said she would have to remain in her own bedroom. Grany is a different matter so will have to wait. His eye waters a little, just on the right, so not sure whether the cattery may be concerned by this, although the vet isn't.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

YAY! Great news.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I hope so. I am reluctant to book any hols atm as I am still a little warey of whether he is OK. Because he still has hi protein I am a little warey in case something happens just before we go. I know that could happen at any time but tbh this morning I thought I was going to the vet to put him to sleep! I am a little nervous atm.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I can imagine - fingers crossed
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

emmab wrote:Thanks Janey. He is curled up very tight under my arm on his cushion and very happy. Never known a cat who loves his cuddles so much.
He sounds a little sweetheart. I will keep everything crossed for him xx
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

The cat in my avatar has a right eye which waters, and has done for a long time, and like your vet, my vet isn't concerned. She assures me that it's something to do with a tear duct which doesn't drain properly. I hope that's the same in your case and one less thing to worry about.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I think it is just a weakness, be it an old virus or an old injury, tear duct or whatever. The cattery are just asking about why there is no explanation for his lymph node enlargement. I have suggested she calls the vet to speak to him. He is happy an I am happy. She did also ask me if I was happy Gemo and Grany sharing a room, which I am. I seem to be the piggy in the middle and is best if she calls the vet direct. She asked as well about his leucose (think thats how you spell it). The purevax rcp felv has been done on both our cats but she is asking about leucose? Last year Gemo was there with the same vaccinations and was no leucose on there so not sure what she means. Will have to chase that up as well!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

One of the (many) cats my family had while I was a child had permanently blocked tear ducts and his eyes always weeped. He also had a hair lip (fortunately only the lip not the pallet) and short front legs. We had him as a kitten after the vet asked if we would be interested in another and this one had just been handed in. Needless to say he was also full of worms and covered in fleas when we got him. For all of his faults you couldn't have asked for a happier, friendlier cat, he never knew anything was wrong with him.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Ruth B wrote:One of the (many) cats my family had while I was a child had permanently blocked tear ducts and his eyes always weeped. He also had a hair lip (fortunately only the lip not the pallet) and short front legs. We had him as a kitten after the vet asked if we would be interested in another and this one had just been handed in. Needless to say he was also full of worms and covered in fleas when we got him. For all of his faults you couldn't have asked for a happier, friendlier cat, he never knew anything was wrong with him.
Bob's eyes have a tendancy to get a little weepy and then gooey. He has a permanent bald spot on the inside corners of both eyes - doesn't bother him a bit. Neither does his FIV status or his lack of a front leg! He sounds just the same as your little boy - 'wha? Me, disabled? Na!' :D
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I notice today Grany is dnking quite a bit. He has had a drippy chin a lot and have seen him at the water bowl twice. It is hard as because they eat dried food I am never sure what is a normal amount. I very rarely see Gemo drinking. He pee looks OK in the tray and seems to go 3 or 4 times in a day which sounds a normal amount. They simply cannot find anything obvious. Bloods are OK apart fm very high protein levels and enlarged tummy lymph nodes which could be anything. He also had very mnimal fluid in abdomen but not PIF on any level, that is definate as he has had 2 aspirations now and are a definate negative. He did show slightly irregular sized kidneys but again nothing of massive note as concern to the vet.