Blind & deaf cat now has dementia

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ymv13
Frequent Cat Chatter

Blind & deaf cat now has dementia

Post by ymv13 »

My beautiful cat is 21 and is blind and deaf. She has high blood pressure, kidney disease and hyper thyroidsim, all of which are under control. She now has been diagnosed with dementia. She is eating well but seems lost and confused. She keeps walking into things and struggling to find her way around. Although she has been blind for a while she hasn't had trouble getting around until now. She has always been affectionate but is now distant most of the time.

What do you think her quality of life is like? I am so worried and sad and hate seeing her so disorientated and confused and it is breaking my heart.

Any thoughts or advice on how to care for her?

I am at work all day so she is alone for approx 10 hours Monday to Friday. This has been the case for a few months now, since my dear mum passed away (mum lived with me and she and the cat were company for each other).

Thank you

Yvonne
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Blind & deaf cat now has dementia

Post by Lilith »

Hi Yvonne and welcome.

Your girl's doing pretty well to have got to 21, it's a grand age, and she's coping with quite an array of ailments (and so are you of course) on top of being blind and deaf.

I would say that, even if she hasn't much time left, she will adapt. It's amazing how they do. What sort of condition is she in? Does she still enjoy her food, use her tray okay? I imagine she sleeps most of the time, but she must miss your mother, and I also wonder if she's grieving.

At the same time, I have a 15 year old cat with what I believe to be dementia and I've known her sit beside me, wake up and wash and have a howl as they do - and simply not know where she is or who I am for a moment, although she's usually very affectionate. So the 'distance' you're experiencing with your girl may also be down to the dementia? (I'm not an expert on this; my Emily's content and in no discomfort and I won't fuss her about with a vet visit unless something specific needs attention.) What advice have they given you about dementia? I confess I'm interested on my own and Emily's behalf, to learn more.

Elderly cats often do become more 'distant'; they sleep a lot, they do their own thing, they're content with warmth, food, they're winding down, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're unhappy

It's a pity you have to leave her for such long hours but in this cut-throat day and age, you need to keep your job. On the other hand, a geriatric cat will snooze her hours away; in a way it's a mercy she's so elderly. A younger cat might not be so accommodating.

I'd say, make things as easy for her as you can; don't change furniture around (well, you'll know this with her being blind)and let her re-learn her surroundings, give her what affection she'll accept but, unless her health or quality of life really deteriorates, just see how she goes, bless her. Does the vet know of her current difficulties, by the way, and have they any advice to give?

Hope this helps for now and hopefully others with experience of elderly cats will be along soon with more advice. All the best to her and you and please update, I for one would be interested to know how she goes on, grand old lass, give her a fuss from me x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Yvonne reading your post made me recall Mayday's last year- she was 21 7mths when I lost her this month last year. She was blind in one eye & losing sight in the other, had a murmur, slept a lot but god did & still do love her so much. And I was away from her 10 hrs a day & prayed nothing would happen when I was at work. It didn't but it broke my heart when it did. TG for people here who got me thru with support... treasure your fur babe. Vivian
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi Yvonne and welcome,

I’ve had deaf and blind cats and your girl sounds like my last oldie bless her, he had all the ailments your girl has, although once his thyroid was under control his blood pressure came down and we were able to reduce the medication. I wonder though whether your girl is down since your mum died and whether it’s more the company she’s missing? I agree that older cats do sleep a lot but my old lad loved us to be with him and would tap us for attention a lot. I presume you spend lots of time with her when you’re home and this is probably not possible, but just wondering whether there is there any one who could nip in and sit with your girl at all for an hour or so through the day? I do hope that things turn out ok for you both.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I've had several elderly cats, though none quite as old as your girl, and it's always difficult and heartbreaking to have to try and make those judgments. As you say, you seem to have things under control medically, it's just knowing how she's coping ..... and really you know her best. There will come a time when the bad days outnumber the good ones and you'll start to feel that she's had enough, but hopefully you're not quite there yet and she will rally from this. The fact that she's enjoying her food, a warm bed and the odd fuss is a good start. All paws here crossed for her. xx